• Register Today It's free!

2017 Clunk from rear end

rmikola1

Reaction score
City, State
Crossville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer linited
I have a 2017 Explorer Limited. When moving in reverse get a clunk but not all the time. Dealer replaced drive shaft seal on trans.said it was low on trans.fluid. Still clunked. Next dealer replaced driveshaft said bad u joint, still clunks. Car is at dealer now hoping they can finally figure out clunk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No noise when going forward?

Peter

Got car back from dealer, they neutralized motor mounts. Thought it might be binding drive train. Drove a couple of days and clubk came back! Took it back inand now they say that the difere tial is bad and have to replace that.

Did they inspect the front axels?
Supposedly, there's an out of spec spline washer, that also causes another annoying clicking/clunking sound.
I had a similar issue going into reverse and into drive and could be repeated all day long and had the front axels replaced along with the wheel bearings and other components.

Not hearing it so this is a SWAG. Jack it up with all 4 tires off the ground. Push forward and backward on all the tires check Sway links control arms etc for movement. To help yourself out have someone out side listen when you put it in reverse and see if then can hear it also to narrow down a side.

Not hearing it so this is a SWAG. Jack it up with all 4 tires off the ground. Push forward and backward on all the tires check Sway links control arms etc for movement. To help yourself out have someone out side listen when you put it in reverse and see if then can hear it also to narrow down a side.
Going to let dealer handle problem, they need to experience all it entails to repair problem. Not costing me anything, it is warranty work.

Going to let dealer handle problem, they need to experience all it entails to repair problem. Not costing me anything, it is warranty work.
Don't forget to report back, please.

Not saying that you will have future problems but keep track of every time it is in for repair and what was done just in case you move on to a lemon law replacement.

Did they inspect the front axels?
Supposedly, there's an out of spec spline washer, that also causes another annoying clicking/clunking sound.
I had a similar issue going into reverse and into drive and could be repeated all day long and had the front axels replaced along with the wheel bearings and other components.
There is only one clunk and it feels like you backed into something, very scary. Only happens in reverse. Now they are doing a vibration test.

There is only one clunk and it feels like you backed into something, very scary. Only happens in reverse. Now they are doing a vibration test.

Oh, I believe I have experienced that before.
Once in a while, when backing out on an incline (very little on the throttle), I hear a thud, in which if feels as if the EX is sticking to the pavement and assumed it was the hill assist kicking in while the vehicle is in motion.

Once in a while, when backing out on an incline (very little on the throttle), I hear a thud, in which if feels as if the EX is sticking to the pavement and assumed it was the hill assist kicking in while the vehicle is in motion.

If you where backing out of your driveway after a damp night the brake pads most likely rusted to the rotors. I have that happen all the time cause I don't drive mine much, I am in rental cars more often the my own cars.

By your nick name you might own a 13 GT500. Which I also am a proud owner of one. DIB and red stripe only 9 in the combination I have.

Now back to the regular scheduled thread(-;

It happens on level ground or a hill. It happens backing to the right or to the left. Dealer is doing a vibration test. Still think that is in the diferential.

Not saying that you will have future problems but keep track of every time it is in for repair and what was done just in case you move on to a lemon law replacement.
Thanks, I always keep records and paperwork from service done on my vehicles.

If you where backing out of your driveway after a damp night the brake pads most likely rusted to the rotors. I have that happen all the time cause I don't drive mine much, I am in rental cars more often the my own cars.

By your nick name you might own a 13 GT500. Which I also am a proud owner of one. DIB and red stripe only 9 in the combination I have.

Now back to the regular scheduled thread(-;
Not brakes sticking, drive it daily when not in the shop for repairs. Don't own a GT.

We have 2017 Explorer XLT AWD, it also clunks in reverse . It only happens when you turn slightly in reverse and happens often. Talked to my Ford dealer and the issue may be in the rear end differential as this is where the noise is coming from. Its loud the first time and when I tried to to the same thing repeatedly (reversing with a slight turn) it happened but not as loud. I suspect that something is sticking and letting loose in the rear axle differential and the more you do it the less it sticks (hence the clunking noise getting softer) Will update once we get it in for service.

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Would definitely appreciate a follow-up.

Peter

Have the exact same issue. Can we get a resolution?

At first we suspected it was an issue with the rear transaxle, but the issue was a rear suspension arm. Once it was replaced the clunk noise that happened most times when putting the car in reversed disappeared.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back