Front end clunk has returned.....lower ball joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk has returned.....lower ball joints

dont slow down

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth City NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited
Back in Jan/Feb of this year we went round and round with our dealer over a clunk in the front end of our 13 Explorer. They had the car for 2 weeks and ended up replacing the rack and pinion, lower control arms, both CV axles, and the steering linkage. Turns out it was the lower ball joints that were making the sound. The dealer told me it wasn't them but after bringing them video proof that it was them they finally admitted and replaced the bad ball joints. That was in February. Here we are in July and the same noise is back and getting worse by the day. We have since moved far away from that dealer and since the parts are warrantied for one year we will be taking it back to another Ford dealer to have it looked at again. I cannot believe in 6 months the ball joints are crap again. I've always run Moog joints on my trucks, anyone replaced their ball joints with Moog?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not on the explorer yet. Not to many people are in worn out ball joint territory.

6 months for a second set seems weird to me. You have aftermarket wheels or anything suspension related besides the OEM replacements?

Been in an accident?

As far as Moog my whole front end of my Ranger has had Moog parts ever since the OEM ones worn out. Sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, upper and lower ball joints, outer and inner tie rods, and coil springs.

Only warranty exchange I have done is for one upper control arm at about 125k miles of use.

Not on the explorer yet. Not to many people are in worn out ball joint territory.

6 months for a second set seems weird to me. You have aftermarket wheels or anything suspension related besides the OEM replacements?

Been in an accident?

As far as Moog my whole front end of my Ranger has had Moog parts ever since the OEM ones worn out. Sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, upper and lower ball joints, outer and inner tie rods, and coil springs.

Only warranty exchange I have done is for one upper control arm at about 125k miles of use.

No nothing aftermarket, all stock. No accidents, just worn out parts. We bought the car with 21k and it now has 40k on it. Wife took it in today and asked them to specifically check the ball joints, and they said there was nothing wrong. Looks like I will have to crawl under there again with my gopro and get them proof again. I'm just wondering why these ball joints are going out so fast. We don't off road it or hit curbs, the roads here in NC are bumpy but should not be eating ball joints. I'm wondering if I should just put an aftermarket set on and say screw ford. Then the other half of me says to make ford keep putting them on as many times as needed until the warranty is up.

Any other members seen, IMHO, is premature failure of a orig/Ford lower ball joint (?)
My wife's 2014 4wd XLT developed the dreaded "clunk" last week. Just checked out, Pass side has some serious play to it. (Driver side is fine, no play at all)
(Middle age female, cautious driver, decent roads, no pot-holes or curb strikes)
Ordered a new control arm w/ the ball joint, already pressed in, from RA, so I can deal with it next week.

Interested to hear of others in same boat & how common this is.

does not surprise me a bit. I had a similar problem with my 2010. actually it was earlier, took it to the local garage for inspection and I was told it needed a ball joint, it was still it the factory bumper to bumper warranty at the time. I was pissed. I blame the "lifetime grease" feature on all modern vehicles. You cant grease anything anymore. From what I hear dodge vehicles are even worse with front end parts.

Once I replaced all the ball joints with aftermarket grease able ones I had no further issue It is aggravating though.

I don't think it is very common. Have you tried searching for "ball joint" in the forum to see other posts discussing it?

I have 122,5xx miles and all original.

Yes, searched it, and did not find anything. I always search before posting.

water probably got in, I had a inner tie rod wear out .Somehow water got under the boot. Made a creak noise at low speed when turning like it was the front upper strut bearing/mounts, but my bearings/mounts were new:oops:

well I have a 2012 limited and at just 23k miles I have to replace almost the while suspension along with the rack and pinion.

Yes, searched it, and did not find anything. I always search before posting.
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Problem solved.
RA & FedEx came thru, process took about an hour from opening the barn to washing up.

Once I had the old Control Arm off, I removed the boot and found quite a bit of clean grease, with no sign of water.
Interestingly enough, I cleaned out the grease from the BJ, and didn't notice any play. While it was on the truck, I could move the tire and see what looked like 1/16", or better, movement.
Steering wheel stayed centered, tracks straight.....and no more clunk.
Alignment soon just to confirm.

I realized I never came back to update this thread. After investigating I found the passenger sway bar link was worn and making the clunk. Replaced it with a greasable moog product and have not had any problems since this thread was created!

Just replaced lower ball joints, 209K.

Your thread was merged with this existing one.Peter

So ,a new thread, that specifically asked about premature failure of a ball joint, in a 5th gen Explorer, was merged into a old thread that was never updated, because you assumed/felt/thought that I didnt search. (?)
Turns out, now that the OP has returned 1.5 years later to update, that the Ball Joint wasn't the culprit.
Throw in some discussion, of a different generation w/ 18 year old ball joints failing at 200k and I can see why it was a waste of time to ask my original question in this forum.

Back