2017 Explorer Civilian front head lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chaos12135

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
Hi everyone, I’ve been interested in trying to get my front head lights like the interceptor utility (or really any interceptor lights). Does anyone know if this is possible, is this a lighting module or the light itself? If it’s none of these can it be done with FORScan? If anyone here let’s me know if this is possible, I would appreciate it. Thank you

images

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm curious. What is the difference?:dunno:

Peter

I haven't checked part numbers but I would think that the Signature Lights may be the only difference. I believe the actual headlight assemblies are the same. Is it that want to get rid of the Signature Lighting?

Peter

I haven't checked part numbers but I would think that the Signature Lights may be the only difference. I believe the actual headlight assemblies are the same. Is it that want to get rid of the Signature Lighting?

Peter
If that’s the way to get the lights to do it than yes, but after further research I don’t think it’s the signature lights, I think it has to do with a module

Thank you Peter for that thread, I ended up getting inspired to do this myself since I didn’t like the OBD idea of doing things, but I figured this can be done myself with 5-pin relays and I was correct.

feel free to message me for any questions

I3Rqa5a.jpg

Looks cool. Is it on all the time even when the headlamp knob is at off position?

Looks cool. Is it on all the time even when the headlamp knob is at off position?
It’s not on all the time, but I mean it could if I wanted a dead battery . It’s controlled by its own switch which makes it almost better than the real deal as I now technically have “dark mode”. I can use the headlight knob to turn off all the lights, and then hit the separate switch to turn on the front turn signal lights. If I wanted to I could leave the rear lights on if I use the headlight switch to leave it on. If you want I can take a small video of all the “features” it has.

It’s not on all the time, but I mean it could if I wanted a dead battery . It’s controlled by its own switch which makes it almost better than the real deal as I now technically have “dark mode”. I can use the headlight knob to turn off all the lights, and then hit the separate switch to turn on the front turn signal lights. If I wanted to I could leave the rear lights on if I use the headlight switch to leave it on. If you want I can take a small video of all the “features” it has.

I have a similar setup (but for fog lamp). I'm a bit interested how do you resolve the turn signal issue (like turn it into ON position, then turn ON the turn signal, will it flash or just stay steady?)

I have a similar setup (but for fog lamp). I'm a bit interested how do you resolve the turn signal issue (like turn it into ON position, then turn ON the turn signal, will it flash or just stay steady?)

So that’s the video, it for the most part is a quick show down on everything. I can go more into detail though. It’s a 5 pin relay, used on all three relays. Right now I’m using some thick wires and it’s like a crazy bees nest, but I do plan to fix it when I remove my front fasha and grill to put in the push bar.

Are you doing this for fun or are you trying to convert a retail unit to some kind of special use le/security role?

Are you doing this for fun or are you trying to convert a retail unit to some kind of special use le/security role?
I work for media/press in California, and I “upgraded” from a 2009 Crown Vic, and I just liked all the features that the Vic offered, which I got accustomed to. I did not get a real utility, I got something that IMO is better than a utility, and is more comfortable.

CA has some screwy laws about people driving vehicles that may be confused for police vehicles. Not telling you what to do, but you may want to cover your ass and make sure you don't run afoul of any CA laws that may cause you issues. Best of luck.

Questions about driving a Black & White former PD car in California - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Best Buy forced to redesign its fleet of black and white VW Beetles after CHP complains they look too much like patrol cars

Just for reference (not legal advice), his car looks fine as long as he does not put on any designation and strobe. Amber lights in front working as DRL shouldn’t be an issue under the CVC. His car is all white, which is probably the most safe color of the FPIU (only CHP special unit and serval local departments use all white vehicle). The spot light need to be off all the time though.

CA has some screwy laws about people driving vehicles that may be confused for police vehicles. Not telling you what to do, but you may want to cover your ass and make sure you don't run afoul of any CA laws that may cause you issues. Best of luck.

Just for reference (not legal advice), his car looks fine as long as he does not put on any designation and strobe. Amber lights in front working as DRL shouldn’t be an issue under the CVC. His car is all white, which is probably the most safe color of the FPIU (only CHP special unit and serval local departments use all white vehicle). The spot light need to be off all the time though.

I verified with my local CHP department a few years ago when I started modifying my vehicle for these purposes. The vehicle may also appear white in the video, but it's actually ingot silver (Silver's ford colour). In the state of California you're permitted to have your civilian vehicle have red flashing lights in the rear, amber/white front/rear, and no steady burn of any color. You will not violate Vehicle Code; 27605 as long as you follow those directions.

Strange to see someone in California use the spelling "colour".

Peter

I verified with my local CHP department a few years ago when I started modifying my vehicle for these purposes. The vehicle may also appear white in the video, but it's actually ingot silver (Silver's ford colour). In the state of California you're permitted to have your civilian vehicle have red flashing lights in the rear, amber/white front/rear, and no steady burn of any color. You will not violate Vehicle Code; 27605 as long as you follow those directions.

Again, not telling you what to do, but I'll give you my 2 cents based on experience. Don't rely on what a cop may tell you. They don't need to know the law or even provide correct info to you. They do what they do and leave it to the da to clean up any messes they might make along the way. Read the law and consult with an attorney or ask your state rep. Also, read the links I gave you about this as others made the same claims in them about being given the same bad info by the police.

If you haven't heard this saying, it's an oldie but a goodie. You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Best of luck.

Strange to see someone in California use the spelling "colour".

Peter

While I was born in California, I communicate and have been in the United Kingdom more times than I can count which has altered some of my American English for British English slang and terms. I sometimes interchangeably use colour to color sometimes, while I'm typing and same goes for other words like favourite to favorite. It just depends on the moment and who I am talking to, normally to those of United Kingdom origin I use there terminology, and sometimes I forget to stop when I am no longer talking to those types of people.

Again, not telling you what to do, but I'll give you my 2 cents based on experience. Don't rely on what a cop may tell you. They don't need to know the law or even provide correct info to you. They do what they do and leave it to the da to clean up any messes they might make along the way. Read the law and consult with an attorney or ask your state rep. Also, read the links I gave you about this as others made the same claims in them about being given the same bad info by the police.

If you haven't heard this saying, it's an oldie but a goodie. You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Best of luck.

I completely understand from where you're coming from, and yeah of course at the end of the day the police may actually relay incorrect information towards you, as they're only supposed to enforce laws that they believe have been broken. I will contact my employer's attorney office and have them review the laws in which my vehicle may break. I have had this vehicle like this for quite some number of months/years now and have engaged with local law enforcement many times, and never has my vehicle been any concern for them.

Thank you for the heads up though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I was born in California, I communicate and have been in the United Kingdom more times than I can count which has altered some of my American English for British English slang and terms. I sometimes interchangeably use colour to color sometimes, while I'm typing and same goes for other words like favourite to favorite. It just depends on the moment and who I am talking to, normally to those of United Kingdom origin I use there terminology, and sometimes I forget to stop when I am no longer talking to those types of people.

Do you drink coffee or do you "take tea, my dear"?

Back