2017 PIU passenger seat wiring help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 PIU passenger seat wiring help

Malaika

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU
I have a 2017 PIU that I am currently refurbishing. I have been able to successfully install a leather drivers seat from a 2017 Explorer. I am working on the passenger seat and am trying to understand the wires coming from the PIU harness, to adapt them for the seat. Does anyone know the function and wire numbers coming from the 2017 PIU? For instance, I know wires 1&2 are for the airbag. A complete list would be very helpful. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you just trying to get the powered motor function? All you have to do is run a power wire to the Violet/Red wire.

I have a 2017 PIU that I am currently refurbishing. I have been able to successfully install a leather drivers seat from a 2017 Explorer. I am working on the passenger seat and am trying to understand the wires coming from the PIU harness, to adapt them for the seat. Does anyone know the function and wire numbers coming from the 2017 PIU? For instance, I know wires 1&2 are for the airbag. A complete list would be very helpful. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

plug.png

This is a top and bottom view of the plug coming from the vehicle, to plug the passenger seat into. I am working to fully enable the passenger seat, including airbag, pressure sensor, etc. If you look at the right image, starting from the right side top going left, is plug plug 1. So far, I have plug 1&2 as the airbag, 10 pressure sensor, 11 seat belt, 12 ground, 13 seat tracking sensor, 16 power, and 21 power.

My question is, what is plug 5, the black wire for? Also, what is plug 34, the green/orange stripe wire for?

I'm hoping that if I get everything wired right and clear the codes, that the airbag and passenger sensor will work right. I already have power to the seat control, and they work, backwards, but I figure I can just reverse the power going to the controls to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

To get the airbag light off you need to overhaul the occupant bladder and sensor from the old seat to the new one. They are calibrated at the factory for that vehicle. If you have IDS you can recalibrate it yourself otherwise you have to take it to the dealer. Be careful removing the actual sensor itself because if you are too aggressive with it you can damage it and then you have to get a new one. If you just overhaul the bladder/sensor it should plug right in and the light will clear.

The black wire is most likely another ground for the sensors. You can tell by checking for continuity between it and the body.

Flipping the wires will fix the motor issue.

If you follow these instructions you’ll be all good

Thanks for the input. I ended up dissecting the original seat and taking the wiring harness off as well as removing the pressure sensor and pad. Then I replaced the pressure pad into the new seat with the sensor, and attached the wiring harness from the original seat. To finish it off, I removed all of the wiring from the new seat connector, and then ran just the power wires into the original harness. In the end, everything works fine and the airbag light cleared. The pressure sensor dash light also reset and works properly. It was a huge learning curve, just to swap seats, but it makes sense with all of the safety settings and airbags. I will likely not do this again in the future. Most likely, I will just swap seat skins so swap the cloth to leather, and not mess with any wiring. Thanks.

Back