2018 Explorer Speaker Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Speaker Install

Thanks for that! I see the pictures but I couldn’t make out the impedance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

_nc_ohc=jep2VxbDil8AX_Y4RUA&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

Stock sub if anyone wanted a pic of it. Dual 1.2ohm voice coils.

I know this question wasn't for me, but I used new capacitors as it was easier to wire them in. The stock ones don't have a long enough lead. I just read what the value was on the side of the existing capacitor and got the same one.

So the individual speakers had capacitors on them? I'm guessing the stock amp is just full range pass through, and the caps limit the bass on the speakers?
Did the tweeters in the doors have caps on them too?

So the individual speakers had caps on them? I'm guessing the stock amp is just full range pass through, and the caps limit the bass on the speakers?
Did the tweeters in the doors have caps on them too?

In my 2018 Sony the door tweeters, center instrument speaker and the two rear pillar speakers all had a small capacitor installed.
The rear door speakers did not as they were full range coax. Can't remember the front door main speakers.

Fritz

In my 2018 Sony the door tweeters, center instrument speaker and the two rear pillar speakers all had a small capacitor installed.
The rear door speakers did not as they were full range coax. Can't remember the front door main speakers.

Fritz

Funny the rear doors didn't have caps, good way to blow the woofers on them.

I would imagine the front doors had caps too, but I'll look for more into on them

Thanks for the reply

I’ll look at other pics I have and see.

My new tweeters do.

Funny the rear doors didn't have caps, good way to blow the woofers on them.

I would imagine the front doors had caps too, but I'll look for more into on them

Thanks for the reply
My front door tweeters have capacitors on them.

Also is the sub wired in parallel? If it is, then the stock sub is utilizing 0.6 Ohms and an aftermarket 1Ohm dual voice coil would yield 0.5 Ohms and a 2 Ohm dual voice coil would yield 1Ohms.

I looked at my pics. Can’t tell is they have caps. And I have recycled them already.

I looked at my pics. Can’t tell is they have caps. And I have recycled them already.
No worries. I would recommend a 200 microfarad (iirc) one to cap the low bass to the woofer. At least i know the crossovers aren't inside the amp

Just an update.

With the issue I had with the sounds here: Advice/Sanity Check

I had to replace the rear door speakers. The Rockford Fosgate speakers maybe lasted 1.5 years. One of them was totally blown. I rock out at times, but not everyday. I noticed my sounds issues above in maybe July 2021, could of been earlier.

I got Kicker 46CSC674 to replace them. They sound great. I hope they last longer.

Just an update.

With the issue I had with the sounds here: Advice/Sanity Check

I had to replace the rear door speakers. The Rockford Fosgate speakers maybe lasted 1.5 years. One of them was totally blown. I rock out at times, but not everyday. I noticed my sounds issues above in maybe July 2021, could of been earlier.

I got Kicker 46CSC674 to replace them. They sound great. I hope they last longer.
Was the voice coil seized or was the cone on it torn?

Just sounded blown. No tearing.

Usually distorted blown speakers are from overheating and damaging the voice coils, or overextending the speaker and damaging the suspension or coils.

Back