2019 Explorer Sport Speaker Install/Discussion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Sport Speaker Install/Discussion

Crix81

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Lookout, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 explorer sport
Good day everyone

I am getting ready to do my install and I would like to show what I am thinking and I hope to get some feedback on choices that I have or will make.

Right now I have the following

Focal 165 KP component set (12ish years old)
Rockford Fosgate 165-SI component set
Rockford Fosgate 1650 coaxial set
Kicker CompRT 43CWRT81 (1ohm DVC)

I have a 2019 Sport (Canadian model) and I am wanting to improve the audio but I am not yet ready to do a full blown integration setup. I will wait till I decide if I will be keeping the vehicle long term or not.

Right now I am still deciding on what I want to use in the front doors. Do I use the Focal speakers or the Rockfords? I am hoping that the Focal tweeters will fit in the stock location without too much work otherwise it will be the rockfords. If I can use the Focals in the front do I put the Rockford component woofer in the back doors and return the coaxials?

My other area of concern is the rear sub. The specs on the OEM sony speaker are odd at 1.2ohm+1.2ohm, will the stock amp be able to run that sub at 1ohm? I have seen a few posts where people have used the sub in the F150 but nothing in the explorer.

Do I break down and do something similar to this individual?

Aftermarket Sub & Amp Upgrade to B&O System - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

And get a small integration type mono amp and power the sub that way?

The KAC-M3001 has been used in the trucks with success and would be pretty easy to hide away near the stock amp and sub. Another (more expensive) option would be the Kicker KXA400.1 that was used in the above build. The amp is a bit bigger and may not fit behind the panel where the stock equipment resides. What would be another spot to install it?

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts and opinions

Cheers,

Chris

Ordered the KXA400.1, an amp wiring kit and some RCA adapters.

I am debating on which side of the vehicle to run the power wire.

I have seen videos on running the power wire through the grommet next to the washer fluid line behind the glove box. I have seen people mention going in with the main wire harness but haven't seen any pictures. Thankfully the amp only requires an 8 guage wire so it should be relatively easy.

Should I go on the passenger side or the drivers side and if I go down the drivers side does anyone have any pictures of how to get it through.

Cheers,

Chris

Back