2018 Ford Explorer Sport buzzing sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Sport buzzing sound

murphr5

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
I just purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport from my local Ford Dealer. It is a Platinum Certified vehicle with 59000 kms. With the Platinum certified, they replace the tire, brakes etc. I took possession of the vehicle 390 KM’s ago (August 20th 2020). The tires that the dealership put on the vehicle were Aventuro HT GT’s. When I drove it off the lot, I noticed a buzzing sound coming from the front end of the vehicle, which I did not hear when I test drove the vehicle, with the old tires. I related it back to the new tires being loud, however I drove on the highway and the noise seems louder. I think it’s a wheel bearing issue. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a warranty take it to the dealership. Otherwise jack up the Explorer and see if there is any play in the wheel. Also you could get your vehicle in neutral and see if there is any harshness while spinning the wheels.

Welcome to the Forum murphr5. :wave:
If it is the tires than taking it on the highway will definitely increase the noise level. I had actually nvere heard of that brand but it looks like it has a 30 day test drive satisfaction guaranty although I'm not sure that would apply in your case.
Also, the buzzing could be related to the cowl. That piece that runs long the outside bottom of the windshield. That is not unusual. You can try taping it down to see if the buzzing disappears. I don't recall tire noise being referred to as a "buzzing" sound before. The cowl on the other hand has been identified that way.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum murphr5. :wave:
If it is the tires than taking it on the highway will definitely increase the noise level. I had actually nvere heard of that brand but it looks like it has a 30 day test drive satisfaction guaranty although I'm not sure that would apply in your case.
Also, the buzzing could be related to the cowl. That piece that runs long the outside bottom of the windshield. That is not unusual. You can try taping it down to see if the buzzing disappears. I don't recall tire noise being referred to as a "buzzing" sound before. The cowl on the other hand has been identified that way.

Peter
I’m am so glad I came across your post. I was certain that my 2018 Sport was going to need a major repair after I started hearing a buzzing noise around 55 mph. Turns out, the small plastic screws holding the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield had came loose. Tightened the up and it so quiet now. Thank you!

I’m am so glad I came across your post. I was certain that my 2018 Sport was going to need a major repair after I started hearing a buzzing noise around 55 mph. Turns out, the small plastic screws holding the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield had came loose. Tightened the up and it so quiet now. Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm happy the info provided was of help to you.

Peter

Back