• Register Today It's free!

2018 Ford Explorer Limited

Sharptr05

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
’18ford Explorer limited
Hi! Bought a 2018 ford Explorer AWD in May 2023. I had a 2016 before loved it! I’m having problems with my 2018.. started with a loud squealing in the back passenger tire that comes and goes and now I have a loud humming was starting to notice it at 40 mph now it’s starting at 20 mph and a little vibration. No luck with the dealership I feel like I have been duped : ( anyone have any ideas what could be causing the humming?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd lean towards wheel bearing.
Does the noise change when you turn left or right?
How about accelerating vs. braking?

Hi! Bought a 2018 ford Explorer AWD in May 2023. I had a 2016 before loved it! I’m having problems with my 2018.. started with a loud squealing in the back passenger tire that comes and goes and now I have a loud humming was starting to notice it at 40 mph now it’s starting at 20 mph and a little vibration. No luck with the dealership I feel like I have been duped : ( anyone have any ideas what could be causing the humming?
I'd lean towards wheel bearing.
Does the noise change when you turn left or right?
How about accelerating vs. braking?
Haven’t noticed when turning.. but definitely notice when accelerating and braking. The sound gets quieter when braking.

Haven’t noticed when turning.. but definitely notice when accelerating and braking. The sound gets quieter when braking.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

If a wheel bearing is making that much noise that you notice it, a trained mechanic should be able to diagnose it on a lift. Take it to a different dealer/shop for an inspection of the entire suspension and drivetrain. Let them know about the noise.

Keep in mind, an unbalanced tire can also cause vibrations that vary with speed (one of the little weights could have fallen off).

Back