2019 Explorer Horn Sound | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer Horn Sound

It’s called, cost reduction...el cheapo ford.

I spoke to a SA over the phone and explained to him that the car is missing the second horn. He punched in my VIN and as it turns out, some late production 2018 models and 2019 were intentionally produced with the single horn, and it even said that as a result, the tone/sound will be different. The note also stated that any work towards altering this would not be covered under warranty. In short, I am out of luck unless I want to do it myself. Seems like a very weird corner to cut on Ford's part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordering the 2018 horn setup. Like the plug and play aspect. Thanks for the insight!

Hi all, new to this forum and new to the world of Explorers. I just picked up my first Sport this past weekend and so far I truly love it. My only, albeit odd, complaint is this really strange, low pitch, almost whiney sound of the horn. It sounds like one you'd find in a car in the 1970's. I asked my dealer and he said that it was normal for this model unfortunately. I've had my fair share of 2017-18 Explorer Limited rental cars and do not recall this sound, so I am taking his word with a grain of salt. Does anyone have any information? Seems like a stupid thing to obsess about but it was barely audible on the road this morning. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi I have a 2019 Sport, I also noted that the horn should be on a bicycle, I am enjoying the Sport, drives great and feels better that my daughters 2017 Q7. I am going to speak to the dealer and ask for a Ford rep to address the fake horn.

Welcome to the Forum Harold.:wave:
It isn't a "fake horn" but a single instead of the previous double horns found on pre 2019 Explorers. I don't know if a Ford rep can do anything since there is actually nothing wrong with the vehicle. Please keep us updated. Thank you.

Peter

You can pay and have horns from a previous year installed. That is how they are built. You won't get anything free.

Not worth the time to argue for $30. It was an easy swap, FYI.

Link to OEM horn sound and upgraded HELLA 007424801 Twin Trumpet High/Low sound; OEM Horn Swap

Peter

On mine, they forgot to put one of the horns on the vehicle. I pointed this out to the service rep, they ordered a replacement horn set and put the dual horns on the vehicle. This seems to be a problem with some Explorers of all models, not just Sports. The service rep is just trying to avoid the replacement. I had to argue too.

Brad did they say anything about voiding the vehicle warranty when they replaced your horn system? The response I received was the corporate stance that my vehicle was built with one horn and must stay that way or the warranty would be void. As a Ford customer for over 40 years I tried to elevate the complaint to NO solution.

Glad you have a horn that sounds like a horn and is safe.

They said ZERO about warranty being voided. With just 1 horn, it sounded pathetic, like a wounded moose. I cannot imagine another horn being added, as they had for all previous model years of this generation, would do any harm. It hasn't to mine and I have had to use the horn several times to avoid being struck by inattentive drivers.

Brad did they say anything about voiding the vehicle warranty when they replaced your horn system? The response I received was the corporate stance that my vehicle was built with one horn and must stay that way or the warranty would be void. As a Ford customer for over 40 years I tried to elevate the complaint to NO solution.

Glad you have a horn that sounds like a horn and is safe.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure in which context that Ford used the word "Warranty". It would not void the factory warranty. If something goes wrong with any warrantied part, they would have to confirm that it was caused due to the installation of the horn. If not, then the warranty would cover whatever part failed. Check your Warranty Guide.

Peter

What Peter said plus I personally would verify there were no wiring and/or fuse/relay changes made in conjunction with the the elimination of one horn. I doubt they would have done that but you never know.

Hi all, new to this forum and new to the world of Explorers. I just picked up my first Sport this past weekend and so far I truly love it. My only, albeit odd, complaint is this really strange, low pitch, almost whiney sound of the horn. It sounds like one you'd find in a car in the 1970's. I asked my dealer and he said that it was normal for this model unfortunately. I've had my fair share of 2017-18 Explorer Limited rental cars and do not recall this sound, so I am taking his word with a grain of salt. Does anyone have any information? Seems like a stupid thing to obsess about but it was barely audible on the road this morning. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I have a 2019 Sport, I noticed the horn missing the first week. When I brought it into dealer for first oil change, I said can you fix the horn. They thought it was funny until they looked at a 2019 on the floor. Only one horn. They had me call Ford who said they will not fixit.

I checked the service manual today for the 17 versus 19 and the wiring gauge and fuse is the same between the two so safe to add the additional horn.

I spoke to a SA over the phone and explained to him that the car is missing the second horn. He punched in my VIN and as it turns out, some late production 2018 models and 2019 were intentionally produced with the single horn, and it even said that as a result, the tone/sound will be different. The note also stated that any work towards altering this would not be covered under warranty. In short, I am out of luck unless I want to do it myself. Seems like a very weird corner to cut on Ford's part.
I had the same response from Ford Dealer and Ford complaint dept.where I opened a file. I am still pursuing the issue. 2019 Sport.

There is nothing to fix. You vehicle came with a single horn not two.

If you would like you can purchase a second horn and install it but don't expect the dealer or Ford to do it for free.

I had the same response from Ford Dealer and Ford complaint dept. where I opened a file. I am still pursuing the issue. 2019 Sport.
Harold, as JAPeterson posted, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. That is the way it was built so I don't see any use in opening a file on a non-issue. If you are not happy with the current setup you can do what others have done, buy and add the additional horn. I'm not sure if you can purchase a single horn or not. You might have to buy the complete 'set'. The most expensive one that I saw on the AutoNation site (linked in post #48) was around $30.

Peter

Thanks!

I've got the same issues. I originally thought it was a defected horn until my dealership said it was the sport edition horn. Not a good horn if you live in a city.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same issues. I originally thought it was a defected horn until my dealership said it was the sport edition horn. Not a good horn if you live in a city.

It's not a good horn anywhere in the country! If Ford cheapened out on a simple horn, makes me wonder what else they got cheap on.

Back