2020 Explorer - Harsh Shifting | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer - Harsh Shifting

I have another problem too with the rear defroster element starting to peel off the glass. They will probably have to replace the rear glass.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Each bulletin has a specific number assigned to it. Searching online, I found TSB 20-2403 which is what you are referencing. I have attached a copy.

This is extremely similar language to bulletins Ford has put out for other models, like the F-150's and the Mustangs. Similar fix too.

Basically, re-program PCM is the first step. If not resolved, replace valve body assembly. Mine has had the PCM re-programmed multiple times in the past year and half. It is much better than when I first took ownrship. If it continues to be an issue, I will show my dealership this bulletin. At least yours is aware of it. Give them a chance to fix it.
This one's been updated. I took mine in today with a copy of that TSB on the dash. The transmission guy said there a newer one. He looked over mine and ordered the parts. They're expected to arrive Wednesday (!) and they'll call to make a new appointment. The only thing that got fixed today was the right-side backup lamp. I noticed it was out as they moved the car around the lot. A lot, I noticed, was practically empty of new stock. So, some progress with the tranny and maybe I'll get the camera recall done, too.

At least I got the oil changed in the Mustang - 6 1/2 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a K&N HP-2009 filter. We're good for another year. :cool:

This one's been updated. I took mine in today with a copy of that TSB on the dash. The transmission guy said there a newer one. He looked over mine and ordered the parts. They're expected to arrive Wednesday (!) and they'll call to make a new appointment. The only thing that got fixed today was the right-side backup lamp. I noticed it was out as they moved the car around the lot. A lot, I noticed, was practically empty of new stock. So, some progress with the tranny and maybe I'll get the camera recall done, too.

At least I got the oil changed in the Mustang - 6 1/2 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a K&N HP-2009 filter. We're good for another year. :cool:
Update: Mine has been in the shop for a week for the transmission shifting problem, back up camera replacement (recall reprogramming didn't work) and rear defrost element peeling off the glass. It should be ready on Monday or Tuesday apparently. Lucky they gave me a free loaner no question asked.

Update: Mine has been in the shop for a week for the transmission shifting problem, back up camera replacement (recall reprogramming didn't work) and rear defrost element peeling off the glass. It should be ready on Monday or Tuesday apparently. Lucky they gave me a free loaner no question asked.
After 11 days at the dealership, all the parts came in and the tech performed TSB 20-2337.

The transmission seems to be back to normal operation. I also had the rear camera replaced under warranty after the recall didn't correct the problem.

Well after a long, long list of issues I've had with me 20 EXP I too now have the hard shifting issue. It occurred a week after they replaced the left front axle due to the split boot issue (that took 10 weeks for parts). The service advisor was quite honest with me as to what was going to happen. He said that they first have to try the TSB fix which he said was a 50/50 chance to fix it, if it did not then they would order a new ( factory remanufactured) transmission. It's been in the shop 11 days now. The advisor yesterday said he had good news in that they found loose parts in the pan which correspond to the parts that fail in the TSB so they had confidence that the TSB fix should work. They have the parts and are installing now. I will keep you posted on the outcoe.

Well after a long, long list of issues I've had with me 20 EXP I too now have the hard shifting issue. It occurred a week after they replaced the left front axle due to the split boot issue (that took 10 weeks for parts). The service advisor was quite honest with me as to what was going to happen. He said that they first have to try the TSB fix which he said was a 50/50 chance to fix it, if it did not then they would order a new ( factory remanufactured) transmission. It's been in the shop 11 days now. The advisor yesterday said he had good news in that they found loose parts in the pan which correspond to the parts that fail in the TSB so they had confidence that the TSB fix should work. They have the parts and are installing now. I will keep you posted on the outcoe.
Picked up the EX on Friday, so far so good (fingers crossed). They said that there was about a 900 mile "break in" due to the reprograming of the transmission to smooth out any roughness but I have not felt any.

How's it going everyone, curious as to how you made out since your repair? I too had to drop off my ST at the dealer about 3 weeks ago. My back up camera was once again blue after the TSB was performed (they updated the software first time around), I also started having the hard downshift issue as well as the transmission searching for gears from 1st - 3rd, it would almost be bucking at the traffic light while searching for the gear. Finally heard back from them, they replaced the backup camera and had to order a Transmission Unit ( not really sure if it's the computer for tranny). Waiting for that Unit to come in, they will replace it and program it and hopefully that will resolve those issues. Will keep all of you posted, I currently have about 31k miles on the vehicle.

My tranny has been driving me nuts for a year and reprogramming has done little to correct the hard shifts. I just send your info to the dealer. We'll see.

My tranny has been driving me nuts for a year and reprogramming has done little to correct the hard shifts. I just send your info to the dealer. We'll see.
What vehicle are you referring to? Your profile shows a BMW.

Peter

So here’s the update, truck was finally finished today. Seems like they replaced the transmission, they replaced the back up camera, oil change and Sync Update. We’ll see how she rides, hope this helps anyone else having the same issues.

19287916-8C82-4A85-9D90-96691BEE0465.jpeg 29F5A464-E2C9-49AE-89B4-220FE37693D3.jpeg 258533D2-C2AA-4B2C-8490-D6EF65C6E788.jpeg 1BFA43A3-CE91-4099-8D0A-CC0273308A8C.jpeg

We have a similar TSB in the Recall/TSB thread under a different number.
There seem to be a few of them on this issue.

Peter

Hi everyone. I've done plenty of searching here but not seeing answers for the issue i'm encountering, hoping for some insight.

2022 Limited delivered in May.
Rough shifting. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th are rough, strong shifts. After that, they are as smooth as can be, but I notice more "clunkiness" as i'm slowing down and the car downshifts from either 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd. It's clunky enough for the car to lurch forward.

Appreciate any feedback or insights.
Thanks all

Back