E350 E4OD Harsh Shifting

Bigskypc50mt

Reaction score
City, State
MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury 4.0 V6
Sorry long winded post:
I picked up an old shuttle bus that is a 1994 (built 11/93) Ford E350 with the 5.8L and the A4OD trans, the bus has 196K miles on the clock. It's 20ft long and rides on a cutaway RV chassie I think. During the test drive, it kept stalling going into reverse and was slow to engage, turns out was low on fluid and a bad IACV, replaced the IACV. Fixed that, so I did a tune up plugs cap rotor trans pan drop, (pan looked very clean and nice) cleaned the throttle body etc etc, after restarting it had a fast idle, would drive itself 30mph down the road would not down shift into 1st. Check engine light said the TPS voltage was low, replaced that it fixed the fast idle.

The Issue:
I have a harsh engagement to Drive or Reverse and the 1-2 shift is way too hard not like you got rear ended but pretty close. The rest of the shifts are border line to hard, I also have an ABS light that stays on all the time. From my research it seems the trans is in fail safe mode and might be from the ABS light on? I know the trans in fine, one time I did drive it after moving it from storage it shifted without even feeling anything I thought it did not shift and it had no harsh engagements.

My speedo works fine so I assume the VSS/ABS sensor in the pumpkin is ok? Were do I go next from here? I am pretty sure it's a sensor. It has what I assume is a three channel ABS system.

I would start by resetting the adapts by rebooting the PCM. You need to let the transmission know that the repairs were done. It has set high line pressure as it is trying to preserve itself to compensate for the poor engine performance.

Back