Ford Explorer ST Performance Calibration Revealed: +30HP With Factory Warranty Retained | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer ST Performance Calibration Revealed: +30HP With Factory Warranty Retained

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Glad to see that FOMOCO is directly supporting our Explorers:chug:

Couple quick points:

- No it's not as much as you'd get from an aftermarket tune. But it's also a tune only. Adding a larger intercooler, better exhaust, and sensors will obviously get you more couple with an aftermarket tune
- You get a 3/36 warranty from Ford
- Doesn't look like you'll have any options other than the 93 Premium tune they offer. You won't get the device or tunes for multiple fuel types
- Not CA compliant for 2022 MY
- Doesn't look to be a option when ordering, you'd have to buy and install at the dealer separately after delivery
- I'm assuming it's reversible at the dealership

Bottom line is this is a great option for folks like me that are paranoid about their factory warranty and just want a little extra get-up-and-go. Should be more than enough for your average daily driving. If you're a drag strip hero, then this isn't made for you.

I wonder if the ESP on the powertrain will remain in effect through it's full length with the tune installed.

A lot of places don't have 93 octane. 91 is the highest offered. :dunno:

I wonder if the ESP on the powertrain will remain in effect through it's full length with the tune installed.

A lot of places don't have 93 octane. 91 is the highest offered. :dunno:
They didn't actually say 93, they just say Premium. 93 happens to be premium where I live. Didn't know it was different elsewhere

They didn't actually say 93, they just say Premium. 93 happens to be premium where I live. Didn't know it was different elsewhere
The brand I use jumps from 91 to 94 octane. ;)

Peter

Does anyone know if this tune is available at a Ford dealership as of now? Does that $825 include labor? 52 torque increase sound pretty good making ST run at 467 torque.

Does anyone know if this tune is available at a Ford dealership as of now? Does that $825 include labor? 52 torque increase sound pretty good making ST run at 467 torque.
Probably best to call the dealership to see if it's available and I doubt that the price includes installation.

Peter

Has anyone have this tune installed on their ST? I would kind of feel on a safe side if it's installed by Ford as they will give warranty and be responsible if something happened to turbos or tranny or anything related to adding that tune. If I buy another tune and install it myself I might run of a risk of warranty not to cover repairs.

Interestingly, it says the FP tune will work with Platinums and King Ranches. If so, might be a good option for Platinums and King Ranches that came from the factory detuned compared to the ST--they'll be able to get that lost power and then some!

Has anyone have this tune installed on their ST? I would kind of feel on a safe side if it's installed by Ford as they will give warranty and be responsible if something happened to turbos or tranny or anything related to adding that tune. If I buy another tune and install it myself I might run of a risk of warranty not to cover repairs.

Im running the FP tune its much improved over the stock calibration. Probably the biggest "seat of your pants" improvement is in the shifting. I notice the lower end power comes on much faster now, for example; merging onto a Freeway as you add power your up to or over traffic flow speed in seconds. It doesn't make the vehicle a rocket ship but it improves drivability and IMHO it should be the factory tune, at least for the ST.

Just a couple of points

1. The tune works with all octanes (from a FP Engineer not anecdotal), I tried 87,91 and 94. My personal preference so far is 91.

2. Its very easy to install, I had a connection issue, called FP Tech Support, guy was great.

3. It DOES NOT void any factory warranty even if you install it, I spoke with Ford Engineers directly not hearsay or anecdotal BS from some dealership Service Manager. They would have to show your installation of the tune was direct cause to an issue.

.................................................................................
3. It DOES NOT void any factory warranty even if you install it, I spoke with Ford Engineers directly not hearsay or anecdotal BS from some dealership Service Manager. They would have to show your installation of the tune was direct cause to an issue.
In any warranty dispute regarding mods, they have to show the installation of the mod was a direct cause of a part/system failure.
As for voiding the warranty, I don't know if engineers have any input into the final decision of whether a warranty was/is voided or not.

Peter

In any warranty dispute regarding mods, they have to show the installation of the mod was a direct cause of a part/system failure.

As for voiding the warranty, I don't know if engineers have any input into the final decision of whether a warranty was/is voided or not.

Peter
The Engineers that did the FP Tune calibrations have some input as to whether or not the tune caused a part failure. They would be the subject matter experts to review the warranty claim and say it was a customer fault or part fault. The Service Writers or Service Manager half the time dont have a clue, its simply submitted to Ford Warranty, they review and look to subject matter experts if there is a questionable claim. Ford Warranty staff in Dearborn are administrators, not Engineers.

i.e. On the PIU when all the Police Agencies starting their hyperbolic rants about Ford exhaust leaking into the vehicle and almost killing cops, the Ford Warranty people deferred to the team of Engineers on the Police Program who actually flew around USA and Canada looking at all the vehicles affected. Only to determine in every case it was sloppy aftermarket emergency equipment installations that caused exhaust to enter the cabin. So there the Engineers told Ford Warranty to not cover the claims as they were as a result of customer actions against Ford Upfitters Guide instructions.

Has anyone heard anything regarding this tune for a 2020 Aviator? It's the same platform as an Explorer ST.

Has anyone heard anything regarding this tune for a 2020 Aviator? It's the same platform as an Explorer ST.
I don't know. Try contacting Ford.

Peter
100% agree it's hard to place blame on modifications but there are some that are obvious and some that aren't. I've had people complain about ride quality and noise on vehicles and get upset when we tell them it's not covered due to the modified suspension, lack of power due to oversized tires, had one last week with camera issues and I couldn't perform the alignment procedure due to the lift kit. Aftermarket warranty companies are actually worse than Ford on declining repairs I've seen repairs declined for abuse due to bald rear tires on a Mustang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100% agree it's hard to place blame on modifications but there are some that are obvious and some that aren't. I've had people complain about ride quality and noise on vehicles and get upset when we tell them it's not covered due to the modified suspension, lack of power due to oversized tires, had one last week with camera issues and I couldn't perform the alignment procedure due to the lift kit. Aftermarket warranty companies are actually worse than Ford on declining repairs I've seen repairs declined for abuse due to bald rear tires on a Mustang.
Aftermarket warranties are scams. I had an 02 Lincoln LS. The main harness decided to melt itself down and short out. Went to my warranty company and they basically said "it only covers parts and book time". Well that book time was based on the car being apart already. If you brought in an otherwise fully assembled car, it took hours longer than that they had. I paid $2500 for that warranty and got $600 of coverage out of it with well over $4000 of out of pocket costs by the time the warranty expired.

Back