2020 Official Colorado Color Run | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Official Colorado Color Run

I am a maybe. If I get 31s this summer I think I will go, but I'll be the least capable rig there (and I don't want to break anything trying to keep up, or slow the group down...)

Also, I would camp in the forest also. (We could get a group to do that in the same spots every night?)

Dont worry about slowing the group down, im sure ill be doing that. First time wheeling my rig with the SAS and LS; AND i have never wheel anything more than what most people on this side of the country call logging roads. So its going to be 150% a learning trip for me. I am hoping to get in a a few local trips before this big one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont worry about slowing the group down, im sure ill be doing that. First time wheeling my right with the SAS and LS; AND i have never wheel anything more than what most people on this time of the coutry call logging roads. So its going to be 150% a learning trip for me. I am hoping to get in a a few local trips before this big one.
Kurt,

most of the trails up there are pretty mild. Probably similar to a logging road. There are some decent spots with rocks and what not and black Bear is easy just intimidating due to the drop off. Everyone will be fine and besides we will not be in a hurry.

Agreed. It's more a mindset then anything else. If you did these passes at night, you wouldn't be intimidated, as you can't see the 5000 foot drop offs 2 feet off to the side of the vehicle. Just hug the walls, you will be fine.

First time on these trails are priceless tho. Think I found pencil shavings in the seats, for a couple months after. :D

Things like brakes (going down) and cooling (going up), are more to worry about, then anything up in these passes. As long as your vehicle is in good working order, all will be well.

(sneaks off to install a complete new brake system, loads up on new spare parts, and a coolant flush, just because I jinxed myself)

Agreed. It's more a mindset then anything else. If you did these passes at night, you wouldn't be intimidated, as you can't see the 5000 foot drop offs 2 feet off to the side of the vehicle. Just hug the walls, you will be fine.

First time on these trails are priceless tho. Think I found pencil shavings in the seats, for a couple months after. :D

Things like brakes (going down) and cooling (going up), are more to worry about, then anything up in these passes. As long as your vehicle is in good working order, all will be well.

(sneaks off to install a complete new brake system, loads up on new spare parts, and a coolant flush, just because I jinxed myself)
😆

I’ve never done Black Bear. Ive heard things though. Can it be done stock? I don’t think the steps have a bypass.

I’ve never done Black Bear. Ive heard things though. Can it be done stock? I don’t think the steps have a bypass.
There is no bypass for the steps, but might be able to do it stock. Last year the terrain was pretty tore up from the winter, so not sure what it will be like this year. I will be up there and will be doing Black Bear at least once before our trip in August so once I do I can report back on trail conditions.

2 years ago we did it in my wife’s 2016 4Runner when it was still stock with 265s. Gonna take it again this year as soon as it opens.

This trip is getting closer and closer! This is the weekend that the majority of the area starts to open up for tourism. I want to share a little here with my take on current events, taking place that directly affects this meet. I have been monitoring the Covid-19 state of affairs, between the 3 major counties in & around the San Juan trails we use there. I have been open minded and have talked to many people from all sides of this. I asked questions, and got different responses. This post is not aimed at any one individual, town, or place of business. it is a view from an outsider, looking at an area to vacation in. Locals will of course will have a different perspective, and rightfully so.

There is a lot of chatter happening with visiting this area this season. There are many sides, and many mixed feelings. We have agendas from supporters of the area, who want us there to stimulate their economy, and help these towns survive, from tourists with pockets of vacation funds. Then there are the tourists who have worked themselves to the bone, and sacrificed over the year in many ways, that want the best time they can afford.... on all fronts.

There is good and bad happening. They are in a slow re-opening phase currently, with many restrictions being imposed. This alone is causing confusion, and some frustration for all parties.

It seems there are three different mindsets, with opinions, and feelings concerning outside tourism. 1) Government 2) Places of Business 3) Local residents. It's still a mixed bag of emotions between all of them concerning tourist's visiting them, and how to conduct themselves.

1) The State, County, and city officials are all clashing among themselves with different opinions on how to move forward right now. Some good, some not so good. State tourism asked not to visit this year, causing a major backlash with CO residents. Some local authorities have decided to make their towns locals only, but have eased up on enforcing that rule somewhat. If you have any infraction for whatever reason, they will add an extra citation for breaking this local only ordinance.

2) Most Places of Business are wanting to see the return of tourists, as they are mostly all small Bizz, and hurting financially over the shut downs. There is some inner fighting between some of them too. Some want others to fail, to take over their share of income, and some only want to cater to locals. It's hit or miss for each town right now. The daunting imposed rules of operation list for all was recently released, and all I can say is wow. I feel for them.

3) I have heard some good stories, and some really bad stories concerning the local residents and outsiders. Outsiders means anybody not currently living within town. Commuting for work, shopping, or anything isn't sitting right with them, and they do not want you there. The other side to this coin is some residents are welcoming you in with open arms, and happily doing so. They have family with business's, they want their town to survive this, and want it to prosper. They do not neccasarily want it to grow, as they are content how it has been, they just don't want it to turn into another CO mining ghost town.

This is of course all in the last couple of months, and I am hoping that as the areas go through the re-opening phases set forth by the state,, counties, & cities, the tensions will ease up and/or disappear altogether. Please do your own research and decide if & or how you would like to proceed with this trip or not. I am personally waiting until the 4th of July to make a decision. Things seem to be changing weekly there. They might take 2 steps forward, and 1 step back, and 2 more steps forward again. I want to give this a fair shake, and give it some time to see how the area progresses or digresses.

Well a bit of good news headed in the right direction.

All the counties decided to open all the trails last night.

This means they can start plowing the snow off them, and open the gates as they finish clearing them.

When I see more detailed information released about out of state visitors concerning lodging and dining, and the phases they are in, I will update this thread as well.

Right now most are open at a limited capacity with restrictions of 50% normal capacity but this will change with time.

Ok, I'm considering bringing the camper, but KOAs prices are scary to me. I saw mention of boondocking, is anyone else going to be setting up a camper off the beaten path? (Well... not too beaten LoL).
Add me as a Maybe at this time...

Better put me down as going... I just made an RV reservation at KOA. Sunday to Saturday.

Put me down for a maybe.
Better put me down as going... I just made an RV reservation at KOA. Sunday to Saturday.

Woot! Awesome!

Welcome aboard traveler! Can't wait to have another adventure with you by joining us!

Hope you can make it happen BKennedy, and join us in one of the most beautiful places in the country!

Now I've got to make sure "Little Eddie" is up to the task of pulling the trailer there, then Wheeling all week, then pulling it home!

Mentioned the "possibility" of bringing the Expedition instead of the Explorer to the wife... got a hard "not a good idea". (she can't Veto the idea, ... lol but she can express a very definite opinion!)

Got a question... What kind of temps can we expect in Ouray in late August? Should I make sure the heater is working in the Explorer? LoL hasn't been much of an issue here in Mesa AZ.

Well, you never know what can happen in the mountains. Being prepared for cold or wet weather just in case is advised. A heater for defrost might come in handy in the mornings, or up at the peaks. Night time temps might drop into the 40s or 50s at camp. But we will be at 6000 ft then, so won't be that cold there. Peaks can definitely drop into the 30s, and snow on us up there. Not unheard of in August, but more likely to be a cold rain if precip hits.

Speaking of prepping....

I pack cold and wet weather gear in the rig for these runs. An extra set of clothing, including a spare set of hiking boots, gloves, hat, etc...

Granted, in a group run, your not going to ever be left alone, in a survival situation, but best to be prepped just in case. Water, and sealed snacks (bears) as well.

Well, you never know what can happen in the mountains. Being prepared for cold or wet weather just in case is advised. A heater for defrost might come in handy in the mornings, or up at the peaks. Night time temps might drop into the 40s or 50s at camp. But we will be at 6000 ft then, so won't be that cold there. Peaks can definitely drop into the 30s, and snow on us up there. Not unheard of in August, but more likely to be a cold rain if precip hits.

Speaking of prepping....

I pack cold and wet weather gear in the rig for these runs. An extra set of clothing, including a spare set of hiking boots, gloves, hat, etc...

Granted, in a group run, your not going to ever be left alone, in a survival situation, but best to be prepped just in case. Water, and sealed snacks (bears) as well.
Exactly what Gman said. You never know what the mountains will do. We have experienced warm temps along with cold and snow. I would go prepared for any type of weather.

Oh I will be prepared for anything, with the camper I have room for all the clothes and supplies I'd ever need. It's the Explorer I'm worried about. LoL

Oh I will be prepared for anything, with the camper I have room for all the clothes and supplies I'd ever need. It's the Explorer I'm worried about. LoL
It can be warm down in town and cold up on the pass. It would probably be best to make sure at least defrost is working like Gman said. We have seen snow, fog and freezing rain up on top of the passes.

Really thinking about going. Probably get a hotel though. My bones probably would not like tent camping for 5 days straight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really thinking about going. Probably get a hotel though. My bones probably would not like tent camping for 5 days straight.
You might call Ouray KOA and see if they have any cabins left. They are a little cheaper (usually) than a hotel room and you can get anything from a small one with just a bed or a bigger one that has a bathroom and kitchen.

Back