• Register Today It's free!

2020 Steering Column Creaking

Steve Nicoletti

Reaction score
City, State
Valhalla, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have not had that issue with ours, and it sits out in the AZ sun quite a bit.

Sounds like your telescoping steering wheel motor is going out. Time to bring it to the dealership.

welcome to EF!!!!

Yep, mine's been like that since new. Only happens on 90+ hot summer days. Problem will resolve in a month or two when the weather cools down. I once mentioned it to my dealership, and they had never seen the issue. I don't trust them to change my oil, let alone take the column apart. So I have lived with it, and I'm past my 3yr/36k mile warranty. So I'll just live with it.

Hello, New to the site. 2020 Explorer ST. Anyone having this issue with a steering column creaking noise? Happy with the car but not this noise. Only happens when car is sitting in the sun or very hot days. Thanks

My 2020 ST in the shop for battery problem on a hot August day in FL and the dealer ordered a new steering column. They said it was a known problem in hot weather states like FL. Parts on order.

Found the TSB that addresses the issue.

Attachments

• TSB #22-2144 Power Adjustable Steering Column Noise.pdf
    781.4 KB · Views: 157

Back