2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD

Since i cant find any info on the explorer i looked at the Edge since it went to a AWD disconnect system in 2019 that i assume is like the explorer. The Edge uses a (ATCC) Active Torque Control Coupling a clutch system that possibly uses a oil pump in the unit along with a solenoid and probably PWM from the ECC to control torque. Went as far as looking into DTC codes for AWD systems and this system goes pretty far back. No matter what the display would be inferred, maybe a lie is harsh lets say best guess from the EEC. Your turn dazzle me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No where in there did I see viscous coupling. What I heard was an electrically controlled clutch, which you said wasn’t on the Explorer. Working with PWM would be in line with what it’s claiming with the variability and modes.

The gauge would get its signal from the intended outputs from the whatever computer is running the traction control. It wouldn’t get its information from the PTU. That’s simply not how the control system would work.

You’ve failed to prove your point, at all, and the information you provided points to a controlled traction system, and not just a dummy mechanical AWD based on heat and sheer.

I won’t try and dazzle anyone. You’ve certainly failed to.

And, again, these don’t appear to be the most reliable vehicles ever built. Maybe yours is broken.

Found an interesting Ford tech video about the front disconnect on the 6th gen Explorer/Aviator. it looks like in addition to the clutch pack in the transfer case, Ford has a disconnect at the end of the half shaft at each of the front wheels. If you want to the see exploded view, and him talking about the failed bearing in the disconnect unit, skip to about 4:56 in the video

Found an interesting Ford tech video about the front disconnect on the 6th gen Explorer/Aviator. it looks like in addition to the clutch pack in the transfer case, Ford has a disconnect at the end of the half shaft at each of the front wheels. If you want to the see exploded view, and him talking about the failed bearing in the disconnect unit, skip to about 4:56 in the video

This Navigator has similar sound of Explorer suspension noise sound. Sounds similar when he was driving it. Same "bump bump" light noise when going over small road bumps.

No where in there did I see viscous coupling. What I heard was an electrically controlled clutch, which you said wasn’t on the Explorer. Working with PWM would be in line with what it’s claiming with the variability and modes.

The gauge would get its signal from the intended outputs from the whatever computer is running the traction control. It wouldn’t get its information from the PTU. That’s simply not how the control system would work.

You’ve failed to prove your point, at all, and the information you provided points to a controlled traction system, and not just a dummy mechanical AWD based on heat and sheer.

I won’t try and dazzle anyone. You’ve certainly failed to.
Don’t remember ever saying the explorer had a viscous clutch, I remember saying I think it might have one. I did say it either had a viscous or clutch style.

I said the gauge would get its info from the EEC, nothing in the PTU could measure actual torque split.

last I knew I thought this was a discussion on the explorer AWD system that Ford has shared little info on. I was voicing my thoughts on the system and what little I learned from inspection the undercarriage. If you want an award or something I guess you won.

That's one frustrated mechanic. I feel for him.

The system seems to react differently for different inputs, also depending on the drive mode. We have a lot of snow and icy conditions here in Finland so it is quite easy to find out some of the logic what the system does in different situations and drive modes. The clutch engaging the front wheels is operated electrically, and there is also a computer trying to predict some situations.

This is why these modern systems are called intelligent: The main AWD engaging factor is not the traditionally used wheel spin, but different for every driving situation and different driver input (gas pedal input, steering angle, steering input, possibly even outside temperature). The system tries to predict when FWD might be needed and disengages it when fuel economy is most likely desired. Wheel spin is still there as a backup factor, but usually the front wheels are engaged before any wheelspin happens.

F.ex. when starting from standstill, FWD is engaged in all drive modes except Eco. And when driving on highway, FWD is dropped out for fuel efficiency, except for slippery drive mode. When cruising on RWD and stepping on the gas pedal, the front wheels are engaged quickly, before downshift and engine power output. The result in most situations is that we get the best part of RWD (fuel efficiency on highway) and very similar on-road performance to true 4WD (FWD engaged before power output).

Off-road/snow drifting/racing are a different story.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back