2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Automatic Full-time AWD

All Subaru's rattle it is part of them my 08 STI did it although my Forester did not but it was a newer model and put together better I think.

The STI is quick but the 2020+ ST Explorer can keep up with it in stock form which shows how far they have dropped. The next STI must have 400hp it would be crazy fast at that power level.

My 06 didn't rattle. And I bought it with already 110k on the odometer.

You're right about the STI performance. Thats a slow car by today's standards and I had a wrx which was even slower. Honestly one of my worst leases I did. I'm glad that was over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 06 didn't rattle. And I bought it with already 110k on the odometer.

You're right about the STI performance. Thats a slow car by today's standards and I had a wrx which was even slower. Honestly one of my worst leases I did. I'm glad that was over.

Must be terrible, A 14 STI hatch with 14k original miles just brought over 50 grand on BAT, I would not pay that for it but someone did. It means someone out there obviously places value on the older well maintained WRX/ STI models. It is not that the car is slow it is just more modern models have caught up 13 second quarters for a stock vehicle is still relatively fast.

Must be terrible, A 14 STI hatch with 14k original miles just brought over 50 grand on BAT, I would not pay that for it but someone did. It means someone out there obviously places value on the older well maintained WRX/ STI models. It is not that the car is slow it is just more modern models have caught up 13 second quarters for a stock vehicle is still relatively fast.
The real problem I see is that cars are
easily becoming more powerful than people’s driving abilities.

2 of subarus all had a case of the rattles. ( and oil leaks) Nothing I was ever not able to just hack off, though.

Its the hatch that drew that amount lol. The 15+ didn't come in a hatchback.

I meant that slow in terms of performance cars. Hence why a big suv like the ST matches that performance, at least in a straight line.

I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 Explorer and would prefer to have the ST package, however I am wondering if it's an option to not include the automatic full-time AWD. The local dealer websites I am checking only shows the lower trims as having RWD.

AWD would be nice, but I would prefer to have it selectable. I'm just warry about the automatic nature of the AWD system. Does it just kick in when the wheels slip? Have things drastically changed over the years to improve the reliability of this sort of system?

Any info is appreciated,
Thanks.
I have a 2018 AWD Explorer Limited and live in Omaha, NE. The OEM Hankook tires were the worst tires that I have ever had. They had no traction in any mode in the slightest of snow and not much better in rain. I was terrified to go through another winter and upgraded to Michelin Defender LTX tires. The transformation was amazing. My Explorer drove like a completely different vehicle. The Slipper mode setting works really well. I've been really happy with the AWD. PS- I bought my daughter a Subaru Imprezza. Subaru makes a great AWD, however, the Ascent was more expensive, smaller, and had fewer features than the Explorer Limited I purchased.

Winter tires. Or did I say that already?

I'm interested in purchasing a 2021 Explorer and would prefer to have the ST package, however I am wondering if it's an option to not include the automatic full-time AWD. The local dealer websites I am checking only shows the lower trims as having RWD.

AWD would be nice, but I would prefer to have it selectable. I'm just warry about the automatic nature of the AWD system. Does it just kick in when the wheels slip? Have things drastically changed over the years to improve the reliability of this sort of system?

Any info is appreciated,
Thanks.
I've had a 98, 2015 and now a 2020 explorer. My 98 awd did great in snow horrible fuel mileage. My 2015 was never in enough snow to really be sure, fuel mileage was 23 at regular hwy or better. We are having plenty of snow right now for this area, more than 7 years, I have no problem at all getting around. I am glad I bought it, my average fuel mileage is 20mpg over 4000 plus miles. I will be interested to see what it will get at 80 mph. My 2015 got 19.9 at 80 both ways across Kansas.

Its the hatch that drew that amount lol. The 15+ didn't come in a hatchback.

I meant that slow in terms of performance cars. Hence why a big suv like the ST matches that performance, at least in a straight line.

I traded my 07 STi in with 65k miles on it and got $30k for it, I paid $35k for it and kept it for 7.5 years.

In my case it kept its value extremely well, in the 65k miles I put on it the only major maintenance was plugs, fuel filter and fluids. I am pretty sure I dumped it right before the heads gaskets were going to nope their way out of the engine.

I had a Cobb stage 1 tune and did the poor mans cold are intake by removing the massive baffle in the right front fender, unfortunately with two car seats in the back seat it wasn't very practical anymore.

When I was trying to figure out how the "intelligent 4wd" thing worked so I could anticipate how the vehicle would respond when things got sketchy I had the dash display on the 4wd monitoring. One thing I noticed was when you put it in slippery/icy mode the front wheels stay active more than the regular mode. Unless you are accelerating the front are just barely/completely not there in regular mode, but in the slippery/icy mode they are almost always there. My concern was if the system waited until it sensed something wrong then it would be reacting too late rather than preventing the slippage. It actually works rather well.

I have the stock A/S tires on and have not had any issues yet this year.

I have noticed that the front axle seems to always be disconnected in normal driving. Reading the Ford limited info it would have you believe the front axle disconnect happens at highway speeds. Dealing with snow / ice now and not used to driving modes yet and ended up drifting through the parking lot. If you don’t use the slippery mode or others the front axle is doing nothing till slip is detected than after an eternity it will lock and your on your way. They are trying everything possible to get the MPG as good as it can be. And it’s working, think I’m at 5100 lbs for work with about 1.5-2 hrs a day idle time below 30’f in town driving stuck at 22mpg for the last 4K miles. Enjoying some ruby relaxers now so post might be hard to read

For those saying our Explorers are not a full time AWD system, you are wrong. The owners manual actually states it is an all-time AWD system and I have confirmed, when in normal mode, all 4 wheels will have power using the intelligent 4WD gauge. Even in dry, warm weather.

I traded my 07 STi in with 65k miles on it and got $30k for it, I paid $35k for it and kept it for 7.5 years.

In my case it kept its value extremely well, in the 65k miles I put on it the only major maintenance was plugs, fuel filter and fluids. I am pretty sure I dumped it right before the heads gaskets were going to nope their way out of the engine.

I had a Cobb stage 1 tune and did the poor mans cold are intake by removing the massive baffle in the right front fender, unfortunately with two car seats in the back seat it wasn't very practical anymore.

07 wagon though right? Wagons will always hold value, no matter the car lol. CTSV V2 wagon, audi RS6 wagon's, just wagons in general. It has somewhat the usage of an SUV, without the size of an SUV. I wish i can find a low mileage V2 CTSV wagon.

My 06 wrx was the same thing. I bought it for 6k, had 130k miles. The only thing i did was change the tires, put lowering springs, changed ALL the fluids, and redid the tints. Oh and changed the belt and battery lol. Car was neglected when i checked it out. Maybe that's why the cheap price.

About 11 months later i sold it for 9k with 141k miles lol. Some happy kid from upstate new york came with his GF. He was so happy with the car. Like he never saw a wrx before.

When I was trying to figure out how the "intelligent 4wd" thing worked so I could anticipate how the vehicle would respond when things got sketchy I had the dash display on the 4wd monitoring. One thing I noticed was when you put it in slippery/icy mode the front wheels stay active more than the regular mode. Unless you are accelerating the front are just barely/completely not there in regular mode, but in the slippery/icy mode they are almost always there. My concern was if the system waited until it sensed something wrong then it would be reacting too late rather than preventing the slippage. It actually works rather well.

I have the stock A/S tires on and have not had any issues yet this year.
So whats the trick to turn on 4WD monitoring? I've tried every screen I can find and haven't found it.

For those saying our Explorers are not a full time AWD system, you are wrong. The owners manual actually states it is an all-time AWD system and I have confirmed, when in normal mode, all 4 wheels will have power using the intelligent 4WD gauge. Even in dry, warm weather.
You are going to base your AWD knowledge from a graphic on the dash, that’s funny. Please tell me what sensors are in the drivetrain that feed that graphic. If you are in normal mode stationary crank the wheel and mash the gas it will do RWD donuts for days. We have 6 inches of snow today and I was having fun. It will not lock the front axle if you do that, straighten the wheel and limit wheel spin and you will feel when the axle locks in. If Ford would just publish info on the system we would all better understand.

Although I don't know what/where the sensors are that supply the display I believe the information is fairly accurate.

Peter

The fact they use 4WD indicates that's not technically, by definition full time all wheel drive.

There's 4WD = 4 wheel drive.

Then there's AWD = all wheel drive.

And no, they're not the same.

The sensors that “feed” the gauge are probably the wheel speed sensors, and the gauge shows the intended output split.

Its possible the front axle torque is cut when the wheels are turned to lock to avoid winding it up.

Very few current model cars fall under what I consider to be true AWD. The benefits of automatic 4wd systems outweigh a not very flexible AWD system. This is why you don’t really see them on many cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

07 wagon though right? Wagons will always hold value, no matter the car lol. CTSV V2 wagon, audi RS6 wagon's, just wagons in general. It has somewhat the usage of an SUV, without the size of an SUV. I wish i can find a low mileage V2 CTSV wagon.

My 06 wrx was the same thing. I bought it for 6k, had 130k miles. The only thing i did was change the tires, put lowering springs, changed ALL the fluids, and redid the tints. Oh and changed the belt and battery lol. Car was neglected when i checked it out. Maybe that's why the cheap price.

About 11 months later i sold it for 9k with 141k miles lol. Some happy kid from upstate new york came with his GF. He was so happy with the car. Like he never saw a wrx before.
Not a wagon the sedan, went through periods with the wing on and off ended up putting the spoiler from the limited on before I traded it in.

Good luck finding a low mileage V2 wagon for a decent price :)

Back