• Register Today It's free!

2023 Limited Order

Fords4EVA

Reaction score
City, State
USA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Limited 4WD 301A
I ordered a 2023 Limited Explorer in early June. I checked with my salesman today and it still hasn't been scheduled for production. I locked in all my pre-7/5 incentives on this custom build.

This week I saw a dealer ordered model in transit that had enough of what I wanted in the same trim level and color so I also have that reserved with my pre-10/2 incentives.

I was concerned my 2023 order would get cancelled or pushed into the 2024 model year so I am happy I have the dealer ordered car as a backup. I am shocked it shows in transit just this week after the stop sale/ship. I am coming out of an Escape lease with VERY low mileage. I will sadly miss the 3-month window for my dealer to buy the old vehicle from me because of the recall.

Hoping the camera fix is rolled out soon! I saw the news the week I was browsing and hoped it would be a simple software fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The Explorer is one of the models that have the 360 rearview camera recall listed against it. Because of that, it also has a stop ship/sale on it. I'm surprised the dealer has one in transit. If you could get the VIN number of the Explorer it would be easy to check if it has the recall. If it does, the dealer won't be able to sell it until the recall is cleared. The fix apparently is not software but a camera replacement. There are currently 22,000+ vehicles, my Aviator included, that are waiting for the recall repair.

Peter

Thank you!

My salesman was also shocked this Explorer was in transit and it doesn't have the recall listed. The date on the sticker is 7/10/23.

I actually called to follow-up again today and my salesman told me the "fix" will be removal of the 360 camera with a $500 credit. Ford is going to start installing regular backup cameras instead. I asked what will happen to dealer stock and he said he didn't have an answer to that yet.

Hopefully I get a production date soon for my custom order. I would prefer it to the dealer ordered model, but the dealer ordered model should arrive in August.

Hoping your Aviator gets the fix sooner than later!

Uh-oh. I hope they don't remove the 360 on my Limited order. The only reason I went for that trim is the 360 (need for the tight spaces in Europe for the wife). Otherwise plenty of XLTs on the lot that I could have had 2 months ago.

Uh-oh. I hope they don't remove the 360 on my Limited order. The only reason I went for that trim is the 360 (need for the tight spaces in Europe for the wife). Otherwise plenty of XLTs on the lot that I could have had 2 months ago.
I think there may be a lot of truth to what my salesman said. I have been looking at the build & price tool and just noticed this...

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 4.00.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 4.01.23 AM.png

Price checks out as well.

I agree the 360-Degree camera was something I was looking forward to. I could get it on the Edge and Escape for the 2023 model year, but it's getting deleted from the Explorer because Ford can't fix it :confused:

Will be curious to see what their plan is for recalled vehicles.
I too picked the Limited partly for the 360 cam, over the XLT. Also for the memory seats, cooled seats & 2nd row shades. Also picked a 2020 to get the steering wheel shifters, not that I use them much.
Otherwise, a Sport Pkg XLT would've fit the bill.

Will be curious to see what their plan is for recalled vehicles.
Dang right! They better not remove it from my Aviator as a "fix".

Heard from my salesman again today. It looks like the dealer ordered car from July should be arriving early September. Still shows no recall and no camera delete. If that happens I will probably just take it so I don't have to extend my current lease month to month. Still no scheduled production date for my custom build and I know that will have the 360 deleted.

I am really hoping there are some nice incentives to move all this inventory. My salesman thinks Ford will offer some special financing rates instead. We shall see!

The camera will not be deleted. New camera production is currently underway by Magna and is being pushed out to try and eliminate the Stop ship/sale order.

Peter

The camera will not be deleted. New camera production is currently underway by Magna and is being pushed out to try and eliminate the Stop ship/sale order.

Peter
That's reassuring to hear! Hopefully I can hold out for my custom build.

I do see a limited in transfer as of last week from another Ford nearby and sadly the 360 was deleted. Hopefully it's because it was dealer ordered.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 1.48.52 PM.png

Looks like my dealer has a new Platinum coming. 360 delete and reverse brake assist delete (on top of the 4G hotspot)

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 5.08.11 PM.png

As far as I know, the Stop ship/sale notice is still in effect. Perhaps it can be shipped due to the 360 camera delete but that camera is not being deleted from the new vehicles. It is being replaced with an updated one along with associated software. If you take one without the camera, I don't know if it can be added later. On a personal note, the reverse brake assist is a great feature that has saved me a couple of times.

Peter

As far as I know, the Stop ship/sale notice is still in effect. Perhaps it can be shipped due to the 360 camera delete but that camera is not being deleted from the new vehicles. It is being replaced with an updated one along with associated software. If you take one without the camera, I don't know if it can be added later. On a personal note, the reverse brake assist is a great feature that has saved me a couple of times.

Peter
I'm with peterk9 on the Reverse Brake Assist. It's kept me from backup mishaps 3 times with my 2 year old Platinum.

Peter

I'm with peterk9 on the Reverse Brake Assist. It's kept me from backup mishaps 3 times with my 2 year old Platinum.
Thank you both! I would prefer to keep the 360 and all features as ordered. I will wait it out and just extend my current lease month-to-month rather than taking a stripped down version. I will still watch the inventory online just to see what's "in transit."

Little update to my story.

My custom build has a VIN and was originally scheduled to be built 10/23. On 9/15 that was pushed up to 10/9. No window sticker yet so I am not confident about what it will actually have in it.

The dealer ordered car I saw "in transit" in July moved to "built" on 9/16. I called my salesman today and he looked it up on his end and said he can see the car was stalled, but moved to "released" on 9/16. This car never had the recall so I assume it was just waiting on the new parts. ETA is early to mid October. I am sure that can be pushed back, but I feel hopeful an Explorer is actually built and will be on the way.

I extended my lease once. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

My Aviator showed "Built" on Aug. 31 and "Shipped" on Sept. 12. Email received confirming "In transit". I have no word on the Explorers but the 5,000+ Aviators are having the cameras installed at 800 per week.

Peter

Do you have an update on your order and the 360 camera delete? I just saw on MAS that my order got the delete as well. No VIN yet, but I messaged MAS to let them know without 360 camera I do not need the order. Waiting to hear back as it's a broken telephone between them and Ford (it's not a traditional dealer like in the states, they deal with military overseas and are not strictly a Ford dealer, but sell new Ford vehicles from factory).

Do you have an update on your order and the 360 camera delete? I just saw on MAS that my order got the delete as well. No VIN yet, but I messaged MAS to let them know without 360 camera I do not need the order. Waiting to hear back as it's a broken telephone between them and Ford (it's not a traditional dealer like in the states, they deal with military overseas and are not strictly a Ford dealer, but sell new Ford vehicles from factory).
I'm guessing this is meant for member Fords4EVA?

Peter

My custom build is still scheduled for production the week of 10/9. My salesman is confident this car will have the 360 deleted. I am still watching it out of curiosity and will post when I see a sticker generated.

The dealer ordered car that was "built" 9/16 jumped to "final preparation" on 9/22. I got a call Saturday afternoon that the car was in. It has the 360 intact with no recall. The build was started end of July and it sat until the new parts and software were installed. I need to take it by 10/2 before the incentives I was quoted expire. I also got the extra 1k I saw circulating online from Ford Credit for the camera issue delaying the process so long. The interest rate on the Explorer lease is also better now compared to what I locked in around May/June on my custom build. The dealer ordered car has a few more features I didn't need, but the payment will be $21 less a month so that's fine by me.

I already extended my current lease and have almost an entire month left before it needs to be returned. I spoke with Ford Credit lease termination services today since it was closed over the weekend when I found out about the Explorer being available. The rep confirmed Ford Credit will refund me the payment for the days I didn't use because this happens a lot with extensions. The only thing I won't get back is the taxes for my state which isn't much for the one month.

Good luck to everyone else waiting and thank you for your help and advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was concerned my 2023 order would get cancelled or pushed into the 2024 model year so I am happy I have the dealer ordered car as a backup. I am shocked it shows in transit just this week after the stop sale/ship. I am coming out of an Escape lease with VERY low mileage. I will sadly miss the 3-month window for my dealer to buy the old vehicle from me because of the recall.
pikashow download

Back