2023 Limited ordered (could be MY24) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2023 Limited ordered (could be MY24)

bgalakazam

Reaction score
City, State
Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 F-150 Lariat 4X4 5.0
This will be my order thread for a 2023 Explorer 4WD Limited 301A. I am overseas and ordered throught MAS which is not a "Ford" dealer, but they can order directly through Ford. They also don't have the standard order numbers, so until there is a VIN, it's hard to gauge when vehicle will be built. My F-150 took ~8 months from order to pickup in Europe due to chip shortages, shipments, etc.

At what time will MY23 orders close? I will rollover to MY24 if that happens.

Current status: Order cancelled, no 360 camera option available. Ordered a new stock 2022 Limited instead.

Order date: 5/31/23
VIN date: N/A
Production:
Built:
Transit:
US destination:
Overseas destination:
Pickup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the order placed? The spreadsheet I'm looking at shows final orders for the 2023 Explorer is "Closed". As far as Initial Order Acceptance for the 2024 Explorer, it just shows "TBA".
The 2023 Explorer along with the Aviator is part of a recall for the 360 camera and there is s stop sale/ship on them. There are currently over 20,000 vehicles sitting on lots awaiting the fix which I was told is a hardware issue involving the replacement of the rearview camera. I was advised that my Aviator, ordered on Oct. 31st, may not see the fix until September.

Peter

When was the order placed? The spreadsheet I'm looking at shows final orders for the 2023 Explorer is "Closed". As far as Initial Order Acceptance for the 2024 Explorer, it just shows "TBA".
The 2023 Explorer along with the Aviator is part of a recall for the 360 camera and there is s stop sale/ship on them. There are currently over 20,000 vehicles sitting on lots awaiting the fix which I was told is a hardware issue involving the replacement of the rearview camera. I was advised that my Aviator, ordered on Oct. 31st, may not see the fix until September.

Peter
Wow, that's a big booboo. We bought our Explorer in April but can't take delivery until this is fixed. It's very frustrating!

MAS confirmed it will be a 2023 order, so not sure how. Maybe they have some separate agreement and slots. No VIN yet, though. We'll see, order was placed 5/31 in the system and they talk directly to Ford manufacturing.

As I posted before the orders for the 2023 Explorers are closed but there is still no indication of when 2024 orders will be accepted. It is possible, I guess, that given the current situation with the 360 rearview camera recall that the start date for the new models could be held off until things have settled down. Perhaps the 2024 could end up being a short model production run just like the 2013 model year was.

Peter

Checked again with MAS. Order is still in as normal for 2023 MY with no 360 camera delete. He will let me know if anything changes. Hopefully I get either a VIN or a notification soon. Suddenly a bunch of Platinum Highlanders appeared (those have the 360 cameras) which weren't available when I placed the order. Such is life :)

3 months and no VIN. MAS keeps telling me the order is good to go for MY23. Could have gotten a highlander by now...

Does anybody have a hard stop date for MY23 manufacturing and a start date for MY24?

3 months and no VIN. MAS keeps telling me the order is good to go for MY23. Could have gotten a highlander by now...

Does anybody have a hard stop date for MY23 manufacturing and a start date for MY24?
I read a post yesterday saying that the 2024 will begin a 2 month production run in January. It will be a carryover of the 2023 with no planned changes. It is what they call a 'VIN Roll' which I'm guessing means that the VIN will indicate it is a 2024 model.

Peter

Checked on status today, still no VIN, but saw this:

DELETE 360-Degree Camera60X

This is sad as we waited 4 months and could have gotten a Highlander with the 360 camera by now. Sadly, there are only XLT available here in Germany from MAS unless you get a custom order. Waiting on reply from sales rep, I requested an order cancellation if they cannot add the 360 camera back.

I have no information on the Explorer but they are currently installing the new 360-degree camera and associated software in over 5,000 Aviators sitting in lots in Chicago. They are doing it at a rate of 800 per week. My Aviator finally shipped on Sept. 12th and the camera recall no longer applies to it. I can't be sure but I believe I read another post a few weeks ago about a member that had the Delete show up on his Explorer.

Peter

My custom order wouldn't have been built with a camera. Found a new built 2022 Limited and I swapped my order to it, delivery estimate December to Germany. It has the 360 camera, same colors and options as mine, except it has captains chairs and a moonroof. Cheaper, too and a 0.9% APR for 60 or 1.9% for 72.

My custom order wouldn't have been built with a camera. Found a new built 2022 Limited and I swapped my order to it, delivery estimate December to Germany. It has the 360 camera, same colors and options as mine, except it has captains chairs and a moonroof. Cheaper, too and a 0.9% APR for 60 or 1.9% for 72.
By law, it must have a rearview camera, perhaps not a 360-degree one but a camera nonetheless.
I just finally received my '23 Aviator after the camera and software updates were installed in Chicago.

Peter

I need the front way more than rear in Europe. Too many tight spaces. missing it and the front parking sensors on my F-150 and it's very expensive to retroadd. Most European cars come standard with at least front and rear sensors and you don't have to option to 60-70k tiers to even get the option. That being said, I was in the states recently and no cameras or sensors are needed and I was reminded of that.

I need the front way more than rear in Europe. Too many tight spaces. missing it and the front parking sensors on my F-150 and it's very expensive to retroadd. Most European cars come standard with at least front and rear sensors and you don't have to option to 60-70k tiers to even get the option. That being said, I was in the states recently and no cameras or sensors are needed and I was reminded of that.
As of 2018.

Peter

Well the Explorer made it to German port in December. Unfortunately, Ford did not do the recall while in the states. So MAS cannot sell me the car until the recall is complete. That's on them to figure out with German Ford dealers, but it could be weeks, if not months. They also tend to drive the car around and not tow it for those purposes (did it for my F-150 recall and I got the truck at over 100 miles).

Hopefully we can get our NEW 2022 soon. I still have to do the rear seat climate controls after. The rear heated seats were deleted, but shouldn't be an issue with carseats.

Recalls *​

Inoperative rear 360 degree camera with a blue screenRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Campaign/NHTSA#
23S23/23V342
Issue Date
2023-05-12
Description
You may intermittently experience a rear camera blue or black image on the sync screen when the vehicle is placed in reverse or when the 360 degree view is selected and available during low-speed operation. Once displayed, the rear camera blue or black image may persist for the remainder of the ignition on cycle. Once present, the issue is likely to reoccur on subsequent key cycles.
Safety Risk
The loss of the rear camera image while in reverse increases the risk of a crash.
Remedy
When parts are available, owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to have the rearview camera replaced and receive an image processing module b ipmb software update. Explorer and aviator vehicles will also receive a wire harness strain relief update. There will be no charge for this service.
Next Steps
Contact your local dealer and schedule a maintenance appointment. To find your local dealer, use the "find a dealer" feature below.

recalls-warning.7a35ffa5561f930f609a813527c4d7fc.svg

Customer Satisfaction Programs **​

Rear climate control module retrofit

Description
Rear climate control module retrofit
Campaign#
22G01
Next Steps
Contact your local dealer for next steps.

Just an update. We picked up the Explorer Limited this week. Ended up with a silver 2022 sold as new with $9k discount. Really nice car, glad I waited for one with front parking cameras. We even got the big double moonroof on this one and got the 0.9% APR for 60mo.

Back