265/70/16 on 16X9 4.5" backspace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

265/70/16 on 16X9 4.5" backspace

As the tittle says, 265/70/16 on a 16X9 wheel having 4.5" backspace. Will it fit my 96 4 door Explorer with no probs?? I've search here, and it looks like the stock is 15X7.5 with 4.5" backspacing. The 265/70 is only 30.6" tall (from the stock 28.88) and according to the wheel fitmit sticky guys are getting away with 31x10.5.x15 on stock wheels, so these *should* fit right?

Anyone have pics of this size on their ride and specifc wheel sizes/offset?

I'd really like to run a 9" wide wheel, but there a biotch to find, but I did find some moto metal 16X9 (I dont care if their 15 or 16, but no bigger). Anyone know of a 15X9 or 16X9 wheel that will work thats NOT STEEL (sorry, I dont like the look of wagon wheels ). It seems 8" is just to narrow for my taste and 10" would be stretching tires a little although I did see some 31X10.5X15 on a 15X10 and it looked great to me. 265=10.4", I like to add width to my wheels and not so much height ina semi offroad tire.

Thanks!!

~Mike...........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Mike. You're right, it's very hard to find a 9" wide rim. Most mfgs go from 8" to 10". If you keep the backspacing at 4.5", the 9" wide wheel will stick out 2.125" further than stock. (Stock width is 7"; BS is 4.625).

I think they will fit fine. If they do rub, they'll rub on the rear of the wheel well only at full turning lock. I really doubt that though, because the overall tire diameter is still within reason.....

Should be a good looking combo.:thumbsup:

Thanks Runnin"OnEmpty (btw, cool ID).

yeah, I figured if people are fitting 31X10.5X15 on stock wheels (4.625" back spacing) then getting away with a slightly not as tall 265/70 with same back spacing should be fine. I'll be running Eddie Bauer painted body color (med Willow Green) flares as well, so there shouldnt be any tire sticking out.

~Mike...........

im a 16 9 inches wide should be very common, I know procomp and helo and moto metal offer that width.

15x8's look good on the 2nd gens its more in the backspacing then the wheel width.

Not common at all. Find me some then :D All I have come accros is Helo, Axis (Axis 16X9 is only available in 6 lug, their 5 lug on 4.5 is only available in a 15X7.5) and Moto Metal and that is it!!!! There is steel 16x9 (not my taste). All the other 16X9 wheels are 8 lug. and 15X9, nothing. So thanks for your input, but my extensive research shows squat for 16x9.

And I understand what your saying about offset, but I like the look of wide / propper fitting wheel width with wide tires. Ex: Theres a world of differance in the look of a 32x11.5x15 on a 15x8 and 15x10, the later looking much better IMHO.

~Mike..........

I ran a 16X8 with a 255/70. I wanted to run 265/70s, but they would have rubbed. I wouldn't be too concerened about and 8 inch vs 9 inch wheel. You'll get most of your width from the tire anyways.

you can also look at custom drills, if you see a 16x9 in a 5 lug pattern like 5x5.5 contact the company and they may drill them for you in 4.5. I had to do this with my dakota becuase that patterns even rarer then these explorers.

offset and back spacing will be key, I get way more looking at 17x9 as opposed to 16x9 and a 265-70-17 should fit stock.

Back