2nd gen factory tow hook?

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think they came with different convenience groups and luxury packs. My 04 is listed "less front tow hooks" and my 99 i believe lists it as having them.

My '95 Explorer Sport Expedition has the tow package with the weather plug for trailer hook-up, but didn't have a factory or dealer installed hitch. I guess it was just meant for bumper hitch. It also had a factory installed tow "hook". Which was basically a welded steel loop on a steel bracket that was bolted to the driver side rear frame rail. I used the crap out of that thing pulling buddies out of mud holes and slide-offs in the winter. I even pulled a Ford F550 dump bed up an alley with an incline because he was running baldies.

Here is the one [MENTION=178247]jester1023[/MENTION] is talking about...

DSC003961.jpg

DSC003981.jpg

DSC003991.jpg

DSC003971.jpg

Here is the one on eBay. NOTE: Make sure it is from an Explorer. AFAIK, the Ranger one is different. If you are still in Laramie, you could hit Andersen's in Greeley, and/or Cheyenne Auto & Metal, and pull one yourself. I think I noticed one in Greeley just this past weekend. It will be cheaper than the eBay one, but I am sure the junkyard one needs a bit of cosmetic TLC...

9765Picture_123.jpg

Yeah, '98 4x came with the 945a package and "Trailer Towing" package but no tow hook to be found.

I have never seen them in the junkyard on anything but Sports.

Our 99 Sport has one in the rear under the bumper.

My 98 sport has one in the rear it comes in handy.

Has anyone seen any hook to that type, factory or aftermarket, that would bolt on the same way for the passenger side? Yea, I know its OCD of me but I like having a balanced look, one for each side. I have the factory hook from a sport mounted on my Eddie Bauer. would like a set.

Has anyone seen any hook to that type, factory or aftermarket, that would bolt on the same way for the passenger side? Yea, I know its OCD of me but I like having a balanced look, one for each side. I have the factory hook from a sport mounted on my Eddie Bauer. would like a set.

Do you have duals? If not, the tailpipe can be your balance. I too have the OCD bug (normal as far as I'm concerned), which is why you can't see the duals on any of my vehicles. Something out of balance is much easier to deal with than equals off kilter. The tailpipe is probably why there isn't one on the passenger side. If it really bugs you, mount a hitch, remove the factory tow loop and use a receiver hook.

LoL I already have a tow loop that mounts in my receiver. But when I am going to be on trails exclusively I remove the low hanging receiver. Just be nice to have one on each side. Thought of having a friend fab one up like a mirror image of the left side hook to fit on the right side.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

[MENTION=35357]traveler[/MENTION], maybe you could modify an OEM Ranger tow hook for the other side...

IMG_0670.jpg

I compared the pic to the one I have on my shelf and you are correct, it is a near mirror image. Just a few extra hole in the rig locations. (The ranger tow hook is longer and would therefor hang lower than the explorer hook) thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

I compared the pic to the one I have on my shelf and you are correct, it is a near mirror image. Just a few extra hole in the rig locations. (The ranger tow hook is longer and would therefor hang lower than the explorer hook) thanks for pointing it out.

I wonder if the actual rectangular box with the hoop in it is similar sized on both...

Back