2nd key Fob Programming Issue '02

Mikel2You

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
The facts man...
I lost 1 fob for my 02 Explorer. I bought 2 replacements for a total of 3. I can get one programmed at a time, but not the others. Here's what happens...

I go through the programming instructions with any one of the 3 fobs and it works fine. But as soon as I try to program 2 fobs at the same time, neither of them work and the it won't come out of programming mode. I do the click back and forth 8 times, it does the confirm lock/unlock and press one button on the key fob, it confirms the programming and again when I turn off the key. It's all good with the one fob. But if I go through the same process... click back and forth press one button on the key fob, get the confirm lock/unlock and then immediately press a button on another keyfob nothing happens from then on - no lock/unlock confirm, not even turning the key off. Neither the first or second fob works. Even if I do the click back and forth and try to program the first fob again, nothing... no lock/unlock. The only way I can get the programming mode to work again is to temporarily disconnect the battery and start over.

So, no problems getting one fob programmed... I just can't get two programmed at the same time.

What is going on?? Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your set up (PATS system E) you need 2 programmed keys to make spares.

-Drew

Just to clarify, I'm programming Key Fobs... where in the process does it call for a 2nd key?

whoops - sorry about that. Why are you doing the key fobs two at time. Maybe that is your issue

-Drew

I'm trying to follow the directions. It appears that if I have one that works... even if I come back some time later and follow the directions to do a 2nd fob... going into the programming to do the 2nd fob doesn't work, and the working fob quits. In fact, other than the confirmation lock/unlock that I'm in programming... I never get any other lock/unlock (while pushing buttons on the fobs or when I turn the key off). It's like anything I do after pressing the button on the first fob, the first time into programming... messes everything up and I have to pull the battery connection. If I stop after pressing a button on the first fob, I'm ok... except I only have one working fob.

Example: Last night, I sucessfully programmed one fob. It worked fine this morning. I went back programming mode got the lock/unlock, but I didn't get a confirmation lock/unlock pressing a button on either fob or when I came out of programming mode. Now neither fob works, and I'll have to pull the battery and go through the process to reprogram to get 1 fob back working. Always ok with one, but when I try a 2nd it's like it locks up (whether doing it at the same time, or some time later).

Sorry for all the detail, I'm just trying to make things as clear as possible... as I think I've tried about everying - based on the instructions.

Any other suggestions? I've been out of town, but I guess I will call the dealer in the morning and see what they say.

I programmed two of them for mine... the trick is to click both the fob's 1 after the other while you're in the programming mode - don't turn off the key till you get them all to click the locks...

Hope that helped.

Tried that too... no luck. I've tried every combination. It looks like I have a problem the module.

Back