• Register Today It's free!

2wd suspension/ 4wd Chassis HELP

Exporunner

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 94 2wd explorer and ordered a rough country 4 inch lift for a ranger being told it would fit, when i received it the i beam brackets were incorrect, i also have a 94 4wd explorer, i compared the chassis and they are exactly the same. i was told that the radius arms from a 2wd and 4wd are different, and so are the beam brackets. if someone could tell me why my 2wd expo has a 4wd chassis, does this mean i have 4wd radius arms with 2wd beams on 4wd brackets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 94 2wd explorer and ordered a rough country 4 inch lift for a ranger being told it would fit, when i received it the i beam brackets were incorrect, i also have a 94 4wd explorer, i compared the chassis and they are exactly the same. i was told that the radius arms from a 2wd and 4wd are different, and so are the beam brackets. if someone could tell me why my 2wd expo has a 4wd chassis, does this mean i have 4wd radius arms with 2wd beams on 4wd brackets?

The 2wd explorer frame is identical to the 4x4 so they only had to make one frame for all the explorers, all generations of explorers have been this way, the only difference is the passenger side beam mount. The mounting holes are the same so you can bolt a 2wd mount to a any explorer. The 2wd radius arms are different where they mount to the beams. The length is the same.

Okay that helps alot. The 2wd lift I bought will not fit because it is a 4wd drive frame, so you are saying the 4wd drive lift will work for my truck or will I have to piece together a 4wd and 2wd lift for it to work? Because the radius arm drop brackets look correct its the the beam mounts that are different. Thanks

Okay that helps alot. The 2wd lift I bought will not fit because it is a 4wd drive frame, so you are saying the 4wd drive lift will work for my truck or will I have to piece together a 4wd and 2wd lift for it to work? Because the radius arm drop brackets look correct its the the beam mounts that are different. Thanks

The only thing different is the beam pivot brackets. The driver side beam uses a standard 4x4 bracket but the passenger beam is unique to the 2wd Explorer. You may be able to buy those separately. Keep in mind the strongest kits don't use drop brackets at all. I know you can't align it with 4" springs though with out custom beams.

Looks like I'll just return it and save up for long travel. I'll just run f150 coils until funds allow for custom beams. I'm going to rub like crazy with 33's...

Looks like I'll just return it and save up for long travel. I'll just run f150 coils until funds allow for custom beams. I'm going to rub like crazy with 33's...

I ran 31s with no lift on my 94 Sport and had plenty of room, no rubbing at all.

well that gives me confidence I'll get the coils today and see how itvworks

I've got 32s and 2 3/4" lift. I do rub the outside edge of the left tire at full right lock though.

I've got 32s and 2 3/4" lift. I do rub the outside edge of the left tire at full right lock though.

what are you rubbing exactly in the vehicle. I have no fender wells and am running flaired fiber glass fenders. I was more concerned about the bottom back piece of sheet metal where the fender bolts in under the door.

what are you rubbing exactly in the vehicle. I have no fender wells and am running flaired fiber glass fenders. I was more concerned about the bottom back piece of sheet metal where the fender bolts in under the door.

you can cut that and drill new bolt holes to hold the fender.i rubbed with 33s and 5.5 lift.that spot sliced my brand new tires all the way around,BAD:thumbdwn: why not just do a body lift for now?or do a body lift with f150 spacers and a AAL,way cheaper than a lift.you cant even tell mine has one

trim1.jpg

trim2.jpg

trim3.jpg

Just always been against body lifts.

Yea hear you.i ran out of ways to lift so had too,i luv it on my truck now.

Trying to keep The vehicle as low as possible which is hard with the tires I have but without the front sway bar the vehicle has alot if body roll. I'm not building it for crawling but for high speeds in the desert

Put the coils from an f1 in today. Got a little over 2 inches of lift after a good off road sesh and it all settled in.

Coils sagged even more. Right around 1 and 3/4" of lift. Guess I got a bad set of coils. I used my stock perches though

Back