3" PA lift installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3" PA lift installed

C

ChrisW

I just installed my 3" PA lift on saturday and it looks really good. I had some trouble doing it but over all it was not too bad. My problem now is that my steering is very tight when I turn it. I did use the steering extension provided but it does not seem to make a difference. I called PA and they said that on some of the explorers you have to drill new holes in the firewall and lower the steering column as it goes through the firewall. Has anyone else had to do this with the 3" PA body lift. This seems like a pain in the as* since I spent 7 hours just installing the lift. All responces are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
ChrisW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chris
my steering feels like crap with the steering extension in. it feels like it catches on something. it squeaks funny sometimes too. if you find out any ways to solve this email me.

RSch388771@aol

Flaming River may be the answer, they custom make the steering shaft for your application. They use needle bearings on the u-joint and can be equipted with vibration resistors. I just had my EB measured up for one but the shop wasn't able to give me a price because they wern't an authorized dealer. I did find a hot rod shop by my house that is though so I'll keep you posted with a price. www.flamingriver.com

Rocky, I tried to e-mail you but it came back as undeliverable, some problems with the AOL server it said. Here is what I had to say:
I am now having the same problem with my steering. I called PA and they said that this does happen on some of the explorers. They said we can remove the braket on the firewall holding the steering in place and redrill the holes about 1/2" lower or more if possible. They said this should fix the problem. I also had alot of trouble putting the steering extension on mine. I just did it yesterday. It took about an hour or so. I will be trying to move the steering assembly lower on friday, I will let you know how it turns out.

I will write on sunday how it goes on friday.
ChrisW

P.S. the site above should be www.flaming-river.com

[This message has been edited by ChrisW (edited 03-16-99).]

I checked out the Flaming River site and they want $185 or so for a new shaft with the universal built in. If I wanted to sink that much into a lift I would have gone with the suspension instead of the body lift. I will definately be lowering my steering column on friday. I refuse to pay almost $200 for a new steering shaft when the lift was only $125. Enough compplaining for now. I am on my way to see what the local shop has to fill in the hole I now have between my body and rear bumper.
ChrisW

Chris, you should try a local hot rod shop, the one by my house said they could easily do it for under $100. I seems like a good price to me since I already have a 5.5" suspension lift along with my body lift. I plan on doing it because of all the benifits, but let me know how it goes lowering the steering column.

Back