31 spline axle??

kpearson

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
Good evening folks,

Well, I have been searching for a few days now and I can't seem to find anything that says yes to that question. Even the parts counter at the dealer can't say forsure.

The dilemma that I have is I am trying to figure out how many splines I have on the rear axles for my 2000 Explorer Mountainer AWD. Without pulling it apart to count them. I seem to have some extra play in the passenger side of the axle. So I am guessing that soon I will have to rebuild the whole thing. So my question is would anyone know off hand if the AWD got 31 spline or 28's? When I do the searches and website searches, The majority of them all say that it is a 31 spline. The one that I have been checking out is the website Diff wizard.

So, any help or ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Another question real quick, Who's using what for lockers in their AWD X's

31 spline. 28 spline is rangers and mustangs I believe

I know the mustangs before had 31 splines and with that fact people made fun of camaros because they weren't as good as mustangs having a 31 spline

Good evening folks,

Well, I have been searching for a few days now and I can't seem to find anything that says yes to that question. Even the parts counter at the dealer can't say forsure.

The dilemma that I have is I am trying to figure out how many splines I have on the rear axles for my 2000 Explorer Mountainer AWD. Without pulling it apart to count them. I seem to have some extra play in the passenger side of the axle. So I am guessing that soon I will have to rebuild the whole thing. So my question is would anyone know off hand if the AWD got 31 spline or 28's? When I do the searches and website searches, The majority of them all say that it is a 31 spline. The one that I have been checking out is the website Diff wizard.

So, any help or ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Another question real quick, Who's using what for lockers in their AWD X's

All 2nd gens are 31 spline. As for lockers, 1st you need to determine if you have a limited slip or open diff. That will tell you which type of locker you will need. I believe the AWD models are LS(I have a V6 not sure about the V8's), but you can check the door jamb tag to confirm yours.

Back