• Register Today It's free!

33" in stock spare location?

ShadowRaven

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Hill, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
I remember someone posted a while back that you can indeed fit a 33" in the stock spare tire carrier, but I just wanted a little clarification on the validity to that statement. I want to get a Cragar Soft 8 and mount my spare 33" on it under my Sport, but I wanted to make sure I could actually do that before spending money. I personally want a Safari rack, but they're so damn expensive and I'm so damn poor, so that's not really gonna happen from the looks of it. Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, I just tried to manhandle the holder after heating it with my prop torch, and I failed. So it looks like tomorrow I'll just have to head to the hardware store to get a metal cutter and just cut that part off and pad it so it can't hurt the tire. Oh well, gives me an excuse to get a cutting wheel :p

Oh also, which wheel bolt pattern do I have, for an 02 Sport? I measured it while I had the wheel still on, and I narrowed it down to either 4.5 or 4.75, but I'll need to know more accurately obviously.

REMEMBER a 33" is HEAVY, dont rely on the stock POS winch to hold it up there, unless you want to lose it on the higway and pray your rear bumper/hitch clear it... I suggest a cable and padlock to ensure it stays put

Aight, cool, yeah I'll definitely keep that in mind, seeing as it weighs 50 lbs on just the tire alone :eek: I'll have to see about jerry-riggin something up. I removed my rear tow hitch already, just cus I never haul anything, so that shouldn't be an issue, and as for the bumper, if my measurements were correct, I should be able to make it fit. I appreciate all the advice, and thanks for the wheel measurements. :salute:

So I've decided to get a Cragar Soft 8 wheel from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3977812P/ but I'm relatively noob with wheels/tires, so I'm not sure what kind of valve stem I need to purchase. If anyone could help me out with this, that would be great. Thanks in advance. :salute:

P.S. It looks like I would actually have to cut into the rear frame rail a little to make the tire fit... would that compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle at all?

Back