331 Stroker Explorer - what will break 1st? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

331 Stroker Explorer - what will break 1st?

AWD97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey guys I'm new here and I need some comments, tips, suggestions, opinions, etc.... I have been around fast cars (recently having had three 03 supercharged cobras and a svt lightning) and I have a new "go fast" project that I would like to do. I have a 1997 AWD 5.0 Explorer that I got super cheap and drive everyday. I also have a 331 stroker boss block that I would like to swap into it for a unique street/strip ride. It will have an STS turbo and/or a large shot of nitrous. Planning on 600+RWHP. I figured this was about the limit on the 4R70W after I get it all built out to its max. I guess I'll leave this open to comments but start out my question with: What is going to break 1st and can it be upgraded? Anything would be appreciated as I do not know much about the strength of my explorers components (ex. transfer case, axles...etc)....thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Transfercase and/or front driveline.

Ryan

definetly wanna upgrade the axles and t-case....with all that power im sure those stock axles would snap like a toothpick...

with 600+hp you bet that those will be the weakpoints....most people I've seen just bolt things on and don't take into consideration what the after effects will be.

I don't remember troll having any issues with the front axle or transfer case, they are weakest points though.

His truck was 2wd

I say the block if it is a Ford block.

His truck was 2wd

I say the block if it is a Ford block.

I'm assuming since he said stroker block, it's probably a DART.

Like everyone is saying, the t-case and front axles.

I'd get a C6 trans out of an early 80s bronco or f-150/f250 with a 302 or 351w. IIRC the earlier 302/351w trucks and broncos had a gear drive t-case, then they went to a bw1356 (which would also be a good upgrade, just not as good) that would solve a lot of your problems immediately, as long as your doing a trans rebuild anyhow.. might as well upgrade it to a stronger one.

if you plan on off-roading it, then you will brake axles like crazy if you keep the stock independent front end, so an axle upgrade would be in order as well. up to 35" tires, dana 44 minimum. anything bigger go one tons front and back.

I originally said BLOCK too, then I re-read his post:

I also have a 331 stroker boss block

That block is very healthy. It's not a DART, but it won't break down the middle like so many stock Explorer blocks have at those power levels.

Ryan

I am running a 347 stroker, 450 hp, I am using the AOD 31 spline 4x4 trans from a full size bronco with efi 5.0, then an np205 after that, I have been thru 2 trannys in just over a year, nothin else has gone yet, dana 35 or the 8.8 with locker, on 35 12.5 r15s and i have left many black strips on the road with it, and pushed it in the bush in 4x4 low, do not forget the crap gearing in an np205 thou.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm not worried about the block and motor setup at all...its a boss block (Much like a DART)...I have that part covered. I figured the T-case would be #1 but was not sure about the front axles on these explorers. I didnt know what transfer case or axle upgrades were available/compatible or where to get them. I DON'T want to ditch the AWD...that will be the fun part about it if i can make it hold up to the power. I have been told by a few trans builders that the 4R70w will be ok to approx 600rwhp if built out. If somehow i can make the front end hold up, next the trans will be the limiting factor bc that block will handle 700+.

this wont be seeing any major off-roading....all for speed and head turns...and track times ;-)

Spoke with a local known performance/offroad shop today and they were excited about my project. They said if anything will break it will be the T-case but that it might actually hold up to the 600rwhp with the AWD being split 70Rear/30Front. (or 65/35)...also said the axles may survive too as long as I'm keeping the angles the same (not lifting or lowering it)...He suggested throw it together and beat on it and lets find out! ;-) He offered some pretty cool ideas for the t-case setup if it does end up failing.

Awesome project idea. I like what you're trying to do. Getting some weight off these heavy pigs would really help street performance and maybe somewhat with the breakage. Good luck.

in my brothers truck we broke a couple sets of ring gears, axle studs, i believe one posi unit. we broke 4 or 5 tranny, it is important to build the tranny for a lot more power then your going to make just because of the shear size and weight of the truck. the only tranny that held the power and we still broke at least once was the lenntech but that was when they first came out and my brother truck had there top tranny. at that point they where still developing parts for the AOD and AODE to make them bullet proof. my brother says if there was one thing he would do over is that he would keep a AODE and stock harness instead of chopping the harness and converting to eec 4 and a AOD. he says lock is up awesome and control are better with the newer tech. besides now the computers are all fully hacked now for access to all parts of files.

Have fun with that.. haha

Get a C6 trans and np205 like previously mentioned if you wanna keep it 4wd. Those are both pretty much bullet-proof. The np205 is swapped into all kinds of rigs with huge power and heavy weight. They will be pretty much bolt on too, as long as you get a small block C6, not the 351m/400m/diesel version, as it has a different bolt pattern. You will just have to get custom drive-shafts made, and do some floor-pan mods to accommodate the shifter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He said he wants to keep it AWD....not swap to 4WD

Ryan

Back