• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen Overhead DVD console

NudgE^SIKBRO

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
Hey guys, Here in Australia we never had the option of the factory overhead roof mounted DVD player thing. I want to know a few things about it. 1st, is it any good? 2nd can it be fitted to my truck without too much messing around? 3rd, we never got the the Factory AudioPhile type head unit I have an aftermarket Sony unit fitted to my truck. 4th, is the unit region locked for playing DVD's? if so what region? If the answer is no too most or all of these questions I wonder how I would go using the console and mouting my own screeen/player in it. I like the shape of the unit and the fact that it fits and looks factory...

So, has anyone done anything with one of these units...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, Here in Australia we never had the option of the factory overhead roof mounted DVD player thing. I want to know a few things about it. 1st, is it any good? 2nd can it be fitted to my truck without too much messing around? 3rd, we never got the the Factory AudioPhile type head unit I have an aftermarket Sony unit fitted to my truck. 4th, is the unit region locked for playing DVD's? if so what region? If the answer is no too most or all of these questions I wonder how I would go using the console and mouting my own screeen/player in it. I like the shape of the unit and the fact that it fits and looks factory...

So, has anyone done anything with one of these units...

1. It's a factory DVD player.. it's not that great. :p
2. It can probably be mounted, assuming it uses predrilled holes and clips, which is more than likely.
3. The aftermarket Sony unit you have is much better. Factory head units are horrible.
4. I'm not sure about this, but it probably only support NTSC DVDs and not PAL/VCD. Not sure what you use in Australia.

Could probably make something better out of craft wood that would take a bigger screen too I guess

I have one, it pretty much sucks. Don't waste your time, put some screens in the headrests or something instead...

Thanks, I think I will.

Underneith the headliner is a large plastic piece that is held by clips and screws to the roof. The DVD player then connects to the plastic piece. As I understand (as I'm currently researching) the original DVD system will not work with an aftermarket stereo. I believe it has to do with the can bus wiring system listed as Corporate Protocal A and B at the DVD player.

Back