• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Modified Crate Engines

takaminegenie

Reaction score
City, State
Eupora, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
Does anyone know about Accelerated Race Technology's offer for tricked out 4 liter crate engines?The website has the builders name, but no info on the motor. What kind of performance specs are we talking about here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the link to the web site is?

i think they use alot of Vanir components in their 4.0, and you'll just have to contact them by phone or e-mail for further details... as far as reputation is concerned, Troll and Blk Mk8 are veterans on this board, and basically really know their ****.

Yeah I tried gettin in touch with them about the 4.0 and a price because I need a new 4.0 short block but I never got an answer. I guess it will be time to try by phone. I am very interested in this so if anyone hears something let us know.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

It would be great to get a 4.0 with 4.5 inch bore and 4.75 inch stroke like some of the older 302's and 289's.

I spoke with Ronnie Crawford @ the website listed further up in the thread. He said that initial labor was $2000. We have to ship our engines to them and they can do the works on it from there. I am guessing without NOS, they can get the 4.0 liters to produce 400+ HP @ flywheel. (blower, proted heads, steel crank, unique roller rocker bars, aluminum rods and pistons, cam, and advanced timing.) Thats good enough for me. The going shop labor around here is $75/hr!

So what would a short block 4.0 cost to have build with all internals minus heads and intake. This you could get his email for me or ask him that question for me. I guess the email i sent never got to him. Thanks.

Jed

oreokid220@aol.com

Originally posted by takaminegenie
I spoke with Ronnie Crawford @ the website listed further up in the thread. He said that initial labor was $2000. We have to ship our engines to them and they can do the works on it from there. I am guessing without NOS, they can get the 4.0 liters to produce 400+ HP @ flywheel. (blower, proted heads, steel crank, unique roller rocker bars, aluminum rods and pistons, cam, and advanced timing.) Thats good enough for me. The going shop labor around here is $75/hr!

And it doesn't include parts... That's gonna set ya back alot more cash as well.

I thought it was a crate, until I spoke with him. I guess we could always buy a junked out one from a salvage yard for a few hundred bucks though.

Living in Minnesota my X will be rusted out soon. I have been thinking of getting a second gen X, but if I could get 400HP out of a first gen maybe I would go get one from the south with no rust and do that. Would you be concerned about the tranny? I read on this board that the first gen transmissions are weak.

crate motors

ok let me get this straight, there is a guy who can bore out and modify the first generation 4.0 pushrod motor, with 165 h.p., to 400 plus h.p., i am intrigued. i would love to know how he manages this. does he use the stock crank, rocker arms etc etc.

Originally posted by takaminegenie
I am guessing without NOS, they can get the 4.0 liters to produce 400+ HP @ flywheel.

(blower, proted heads, steel crank, unique roller rocker bars, aluminum rods and pistons, cam, and advanced timing.)

Thats good enough for me.

After looking at www.speedfreak.cc I see they have an almost 500HP 2nd gen X. Maybee I need one of those. I wonder if it would be faster than a 400HP 67 Firebird? It wouldn't look as cool, but I could drive it year round.

i believe he runs around 11 seconds in the quarter mile without nos.... so if that is faster ;)

meangreen93, that you rolantz?? from what i get from the website.. they build the hell out of block, about all thats stock is, well, the block... $2K labor, plus another couple $K in parts... not really worth it if you ask me... explorers are SUVs, not race cars

Please look at that one again, that second generation Explorer is a 5.0, well actually a Blown 347 V8, not a 4.0. The 4.0 is a good and strong engine no doubt but there is some limtation that you have to endure. The 4.0 cylinder head, on the OHV, won't flow enough air to support 400 hp. Not to mention that the stock crank won't hold up to much higher RPM's then around 6500-7000. There isn't an aftermarket crankshaft available for the 4.0. There are Forged pistons and a stronger rod available but they come at a price. I actually have a stroked version of a 4.0 but the rods and pistons alone were upwards of $1500 and that doesn't include the machine work to the crankshaft to get them to work. Also you'd need some sort of high performance computer system to gain the total performance of the engine, ranging from $1200-$2000. It's just not fesiable to go for such a high HP. number on a 4.0 but upwards of around 300-350 is very possible. Another thing to remeber here is your Torque numbers may reach around 400ft/lbs so that will help you out a great deal, I'd bet more then the rear suspension will transfer to the pavment. Later Doug904.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Doug904,

You ever run you're Splash at the track? If so, what's it run? Dom

Back