How to: - 4.0 ohv/sohc performance t5 hybrid transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4.0 ohv/sohc performance t5 hybrid transmission

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Just wanted to share the basic info for upgrading your M5 transmission to a T5..the M5 is a good trans but doesnt hold much power,shifts sloppy and no real heavy duty aftermarket parts are available. .there is tons for the T5

Starters you need a T5 from a 2006ish 4.0 SOHC mustang. .this trans will bolt to a OHV or a SOHC..you can use your stock flywheel,clutch and starter.the slave needs to be from a 4.0 SOHC mustang,from what i gather..

Now if your like me you can upgrade to the mustang light weight flywheel and a mustang clutch. .i used the fidanza flywheel and centerforce dual friction clutch. .**YOUR NEED A 8 BOLT CRANK TO DO SO..** i believe after 97 the OHV and SOHC went to a 8 bolt..

Now this is where it gets tricky..the 06 T5 is setup for a remote shifter,flange mount driveshaft and a different trans mount..you can try and figure out how to make this setup work in stock form or do like i did...

There is 2 ways to swap the tailshaft which will dictate where your shifter location will end up..you can use the S10 outut shaft for a stockish location or use a old fox body tailshaft which will put the shifter about 10" farther back....... make sure you get either a gear driven speedo or electric tailshaft..

I took and got a 94 cobra fox body T5 main output shaft and tailshaft that works with ""synchronized reverse"" and your speedo. .this swap will require the trans to be torn apart and the parts swapped in,i got robbed at my trans shop for 5 hours of labor ($425 labor)....this will let you use a standard shifter or any aftermarket shifter..it will also let you use you stock driveshaft and trans mount,location will be moved slightly forward..

Your also need to get the quick disconnect that pulgs into the slave..i cut it off at junkyard and took it to my local shop where they made me a stainless line using my stock master quick disconnect and the mustang slave quick disconnect. .

Last your need the top cover,shifter rod,shifter cup socket/cup,spring and ball

Ill add part numbers and anything else i can think of as needed..

Stock 2006 4.0 sohc mustang T5 next to cobra shaft and tail..

20151223_154434_zpslvwdvgzr.jpg
20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg
20160318_160657_zps3j3tnxay.jpg
20160318_160709_zpszz8k10ks.jpg
20151225_170211_zps3bdofy7c.jpg
20151225_170036-1_zpslivpd54n.jpg
20151210_131127_zpsq5b1vuwq.jpg
20151210_130953_zpshcxmr8c5.jpg
20151210_130936_zpsevlwtfre.jpg

Pic of the fill plug.the hole under it is the one he suggested you drill and tap out or it may leak out the rear...think I will just be using less fluid...
20131105_122204_zpsf002748b.jpg

Stock ohv master quick disconnect and mustang slave quick disconnect

20140903_155426_zpszgivkncg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I went from an A4LD to T5 in my 91 aerostar van the drive shaft went from 46 inches to 68.5 inches. I made everything work in stock form out of the mustang. I used hydraulic hose with AN style fittings crimped on the end. I bought the new and old style disconnects that thread on. Some sites list the 05 up T5 with a 3.35 first gear and some other sites list it with a 3.75 first gear, any idea which one is correct?

When I went from an A4LD to T5 in my 91 aerostar van the drive shaft went from 46 inches to 68.5 inches. I made everything work in stock form out of the mustang. I used hydraulic hose with AN style fittings crimped on the end. I bought the new and old style disconnects that thread on. Some sites list the 05 up T5 with a 3.35 first gear and some other sites list it with a 3.75 first gear, any idea which one is correct?

I thought it was 3.73 first,not 3.75..

How did you get the remote shifter to work??

How does the trans mount work out??

Assume you had the driveshaft lengthened with a "flange yoke" to mount to the transmission instead of slip yoke?

EDIT- [MENTION=278339]Josh P[/MENTION] Sorry its 3.75 first and .73od

Input-26
1st-34
2nd-37
3rd-29
5th-51 & little gear-25

I thought it was 3.73 first,not 3.75..

How did you get the remote shifter to work??

How does the trans mount work out??

Assume you had the driveshaft lengthened with a "flange yoke" to mount to the transmission instead of slip yoke?

EDIT- [MENTION=278339]Josh P[/MENTION] Sorry its 3.75 first and .73od

Input-26
1st-34
2nd-37
3rd-29
5th-51 & little gear-25

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382254&page=2 post #33 has the pictures. I had a 3.5 inch driveshaft made first, but a 4th gear top end test taught me about harmonics so I upsized it to 4 inch. The parts I used and made were crude, not having access to any real tools. They survived 2 crashes in 2 different vehicles. I used a hurst shifter with a piece of flat steel. I bought needle roller bearings, used 3/8 allen cap screws with a long shoulder. The van in those photos had headers and a 4.10 limited slip rear. I could outrun most cars with a high 15 second 1/4 mile time. My current van I did a M5OD swap into.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382254&page=2 post #33 has the pictures. I had a 3.5 inch driveshaft made first, but a 4th gear top end test taught me about harmonics so I upsized it to 4 inch. The parts I used and made were crude, not having access to any real tools. They survived 2 crashes in 2 different vehicles. I used a hurst shifter with a piece of flat steel. I bought needle roller bearings, used 3/8 allen cap screws with a long shoulder. The van in those photos had headers and a 4.10 limited slip rear. I could outrun most cars with a high 15 second 1/4 mile time. My current van I did a M5OD swap into.

Interesting, thanks

You asked about the transmission mount. I made brackets to secure the Mustang cross member to the van. That rubber mount can't be bought separate from ford.

You asked about the transmission mount. I made brackets to secure the Mustang cross member to the van. That rubber mount can't be bought separate from ford.

Yea i saw in your pictures..someone on RPS made it all work also.he said it was a PIA and he had to rig some stuff up also..his shifter he said never really worked right,hes gonna be pulling it to do like i did.

Yea i saw in your pictures..someone on RPS made it all work also.he said it was a PIA and he had to rig some stuff up also..his shifter he said never really worked right,hes gonna be pulling it to do like i did.

The shifter worked fine, only issue I had was when I got traction it would bump it out of 1st gear. If I were to do it again, I'd do it how you are. When I started the project, the van was used for work. I drove 100 to 200 miles a day and the A4LD died 8 months after I bought the van. There wasn't much info out there and I was desperate to get the thing back in service. One thing I never figured out is the quick disconnect on the slave. Several people tell me it is a bleeder?

Just a update on this,i did finish this swap in my ranger..it shifted fine and ran for about 1500 miles before i blew 2nd gear to absolutely pieces, like the entire gear is missing..oddly it does still drive in 1st,3rd,4th and 5th...

My ranger i was having fueling issues so only reason it made it that many miles..i finally got my fuel issues fixed and was out doing a rolling pull in 2nd gear..i was rolling and went WOT,it started to pull real hard but then broke loose when i hit about 12psi and started to hop..then POWWWWW like a bomb went off,me and my buddy thought it came through the floor..im well over 500lb of tq to wheels and this trans is rated i think at 311tq at flywheel

But for a stock or mild built 4.0 this trans should do just fine..im looking at matting a t56 up to it now
20171105_170453.jpg
20171105_170231.jpg

Just a bump..this entire swap will be up for sale soon..the trans will need 2nd gear changed out as it got destroyed in tuning...every part has less than 1500 miles on it...i can replace it or you can,price will reflect it..everything in this post will be included,see first post for details..pm if intrested and ill share the link when i get everything pulled..

Hate to dig up an old thread, but this is something I was just looking into myself for a future project.

Got a 2.8L I'm going to be putting into an old car of some sort, looks like an MGB at this point, and want to use a T5 behind it instead of the TK5 it came with. Was thinking that 4.0L Mustang transmission could be made to work behind the earlier Cologne engines. I was not aware of the remote shifter though and it was a deal breaker. I wondered about the tailshaft but couldn;t find a defnite answer. You're the first I've seen spell out the tailshaft swap and I want to thank you for that.

I read you other thread on this conversion then cheking you post history lead me to this thread. Above you say the following:

this trans will bolt to a OHV or a SOHC..you can use your stock flywheel,clutch and starter.the slave needs to be from a 4.0 SOHC mustang,from what i gather..

This combined with Josh P's installation make me think this will work on both 6 and 8 bolt cranks shafts. Since the 4.0L flywheel can be bolted to the 2.8/2.9, I should be able to use it behind the 2.8 if I also change the flywheel to match.

In the other thread you said something about clutch spline count: (modified for my clarity)

the clutch for the SOHC Explorer is 10-1/8" x 1-1/16" spline dia and has 23 splines. The Mustang is 10" x 1-1/16" and has 10 splines....
So the million dollar question is if the mustang clutch will fit the Explorer/Ranger flywheel

You later mentioned that the flywheel was too different and the mustang clutch would not fit. Then somewhere in there snoranger dropped this little nugget:

You do know the early bronco ran a 10" clutch w/ 1-1/16, 10 spline. You should be able to use that disc with a RBV pressure plate. I think that's what Rulebreaker did to swap the np435 behind his 4.0L

So what is the deal with making the Ranger/Explorer clutch and flywheel work with the Mustang T5 or what parts did you need to swap out?

BTW I would be interested in your transmission package if it hasn't sold already, but I think I might be a little too far away if you're in VA Beach and I'm in Macon, GA. That said, if it would work out, how much is involved in replacing 2nd? Is it something that I could figure out and do on my own, or does it take special equipment? I ask because it seems like you got pretty familiar with these transmissions. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so not afraid of turning a wrench, just never torn into a transmission.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but this is something I was just looking into myself for a future project.

Got a 2.8L I'm going to be putting into an old car of some sort, looks like an MGB at this point, and want to use a T5 behind it instead of the TK5 it came with. Was thinking that 4.0L Mustang transmission could be made to work behind the earlier Cologne engines. I was not aware of the remote shifter though and it was a deal breaker. I wondered about the tailshaft but couldn;t find a defnite answer. You're the first I've seen spell out the tailshaft swap and I want to thank you for that.

I read you other thread on this conversion then cheking you post history lead me to this thread. Above you say the following:

This combined with Josh P's installation make me think this will work on both 6 and 8 bolt cranks shafts. Since the 4.0L flywheel can be bolted to the 2.8/2.9, I should be able to use it behind the 2.8 if I also change the flywheel to match.

In the other thread you said something about clutch spline count: (modified for my clarity)

You later mentioned that the flywheel was too different and the mustang clutch would not fit. Then somewhere in there snoranger dropped this little nugget:

So what is the deal with making the Ranger/Explorer clutch and flywheel work with the Mustang T5 or what parts did you need to swap out?

BTW I would be interested in your transmission package if it hasn't sold already, but I think I might be a little too far away if you're in VA Beach and I'm in Macon, GA. That said, if it would work out, how much is involved in replacing 2nd? Is it something that I could figure out and do on my own, or does it take special equipment? I ask because it seems like you got pretty familiar with these transmissions. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so not afraid of turning a wrench, just never torn into a transmission.
The spline count is different for the t5 so a 10 spline clutch has to be used..

I used all the parts listed above..8 bolt mustang flywheel,clutch,slave and starter..

I have not soldit or had time to even mess with it..i have 4 vehicles now and just purchased a house which im gutting and remodeling with being a single parent so i wont even have a chance to mess with anything for next month atleast

You can use the 05-10 T5 input shaft in a unit with the shifter in the tail housing. You could use either the 2.9 or 4.0 flywheel and pressure plate. A clutch disc that fits a M5OD will work.

You can use the 05-10 T5 input shaft in a unit with the shifter in the tail housing. You could use either the 2.9 or 4.0 flywheel and pressure plate. A clutch disc that fits a M5OD will work.
This is hard to understand but from what i read its not correct..you can not use the input shaft from a 05-10 in a older unit that has a shift in tailhouse nor would the bellhouse bolt to a 4.0 or 2.9 ..also a clutch disc for a m5 is 23 spine not 10 like the 05-10 mustang so you can not use a m5 clutch with that input..you can use a 10 spline 05-10 10"clutch disc inside a older m5 10" pressure late that will bolt to a 4.0 or 2.9 flywheel BUT the pilot bearings are different for the 05-10 input so i highly doubt the 05-10 bearing would fit..i know 100% that a m5 pilot bearing does not fit the 05-10 input shaft,i had to replace mine..

The spline count is different for the t5 so a 10 spline clutch has to be used..

I used all the parts listed above..8 bolt mustang flywheel,clutch,slave and starter..

I have not soldit or had time to even mess with it..i have 4 vehicles now and just purchased a house which im gutting and remodeling with being a single parent so i wont even have a chance to mess with anything for next month atleast

I understand what you used. I think the 2.8 would benefit from the lite weight flywheel too, unfortunately it's a 6 bolt crank. With the information you powted and what was said in the other thread I was scratching my head over the clutch/input shaft differences.

I understand the delema. Not a parent but single home owner, part time student, and home owner. Not remodeling a house, but too many vehicles (technically 6), two of which are projects and two more that need fixing up a bit to sell. It'll be a couple of years before I make a move on this next project, but trying to plan ahead and get stuff lined up ahead of time.

Like I said given the distance I don't even know if I could buy wour stuff when it gets sold, but I would like to hear about it to have that option.

That's something I didn't catch from the other thread if it was mentioned and never messed with an M5OD or its clutch. Makes better sense now. Create a list here so know if I've got this right and for future reference.

• 2.9/4.0 6 bolt flywheel
  • 4.0L M5OD clutch kit
  • S197 4.0L T5 w/ bellhousing and slave
  • Mustang T5 tailshaft (or S10 if you need forward shifter location)
  • Tremec T5 WC or Astro A5 output shaft (Any Mustang T5 WC or just the 94-95 Cobra? I didn't think the 94 was a Fox Body)
  • Slave cylinder QDs
  • Tailshaft internals (top cover, shifter rod, shifter cup socket/cup, spring and ball)
  • Shifter
<updated list below>

Sounds like the thing to do would be start out with a S197 T5 and a junker Foxbody T5 WC and combine the two.

I understand what you used. I think the 2.8 would benefit from the lite weight flywheel too, unfortunately it's a 6 bolt crank. With the information you powted and what was said in the other thread I was scratching my head over the clutch/input shaft differences.

I understand the delema. Not a parent but single home owner, part time student, and home owner. Not remodeling a house, but too many vehicles (technically 6), two of which are projects and two more that need fixing up a bit to sell. It'll be a couple of years before I make a move on this next project, but trying to plan ahead and get stuff lined up ahead of time.

Like I said given the distance I don't even know if I could buy wour stuff when it gets sold, but I would like to hear about it to have that option.

That's something I didn't catch from the other thread if it was mentioned and never messed with an M5OD or its clutch. Makes better sense now. Create a list here so know if I've got this right and for future reference.

• 4.0L M5OD clutch kit
  • Tremec T5 WC or Astro A5 output shaft (Any Mustang T5 WC or just the 94-95 Cobra? I didn't think the 94 was a Fox Body)
  • Slave cylinder QDs
  • Tailshaft internals (top cover, shifter rod, shifter cup socket/cup, spring and ball)
  • Shifter

Sounds like the thing to do would be start out with a S197 T5 and a junker Foxbody T5 WC and combine the two.
The m5 clutch will not fit the 10 spline..if have to use a 2.9/4.0 flywheel you would need to buy two clutchs that are both 10" and combine the two ir have a custom clutch made for the 4.0/2.9 that is 10 spline..would also need to check the pilot bearing od is same as the 2.9 and would fit

• 4.0L M5OD clutch kit
  • Slave cylinder QDs
  • Shifter

You also need that specific tailhouse i listed as it will work with the 05-10 gear set and also has a gear speedo

You posted while I was posting. Just checking into that. more in a few.

The pilot bearing I used when I did my T5 swap was listed for an 83 ranger. I'll need to check my notes on a few things, I might be wrong on some it as it's been 7 years or so since the swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New info while I was posting and reading elsewhere. I'm being slow and keep getting destracked and wondering down rabbit holes.

Wasn't even considering swapping the input shaft. The 05-10 bellhousing with internal slave is the best choice for behind a Cologne V6 and the 05-10 is the only input shaft that works bolt-in with that configuration. Not even considering changing that.

Just looked into it, RockAuto is handy some times. Obviously there were a variety of pilot bearings used in the Colognes over the years depending on the transmission used. That said the same pilot bearing part number is listed for certain Ranger transmission options from the 1983 2.8L through to the 2011 4.0L. It's the same part number listed for the 05-10 4.0L Mustang. So any 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 Mazda or M5 pilot bearing seems to work, but we'll call it a 05-10 4.0L Mustang bearing for simplicity being as there's only one option there.

Still unsure on what you are saying about the tailshaft housing, but just noticed I left it off my first list.

Sounds like if you want to use the S-10 tailshaft housing for the forward location, you also need the S-10 tailshaft/output shaft. Not applicable for mine, but want to note it for anyone else that may come searching.

For the mustang tailshaft housing, can you use any Mustang T5 tailshaft housing, or does it have to be from a Foxbody? Use a pre-2005 Tremec T5 WC or Astro A5 tailshaft/output shaft with this housing.

I think I'm being confused because in a few places you say foxbody, and in another place you say "94 cobra fox body T5". The '94 Cobra wasn't a Foxbody. I can't find information about differences in the earlier (pre S197) Mustang tailshaft housings. Seems like a Mustang T5 tailshaft housing is a T5 Mustang tailshaft housing until they made the weird thing we're trying to replace.

So lets revamp that list: <still a work in progress>
  • 90-97 4.0L flywheel (or swap to S197 mustang flywheel and clutch if you've got 8 bolt)
  • 90-00 4.0L Ranger 10" pressure plate <make sure it's a 10" OHV, SOCH may have been larger>
  • S197 Pilot bearing
  • S197 4.0L clutch disc
  • Pre '05 Mustang T5 tailshaft housing (or S-10 if you need forward shifter)
  • Pre '05 Tremec T5 WC or Astro A5 output shaft (or S-10 if using that housing)
  • Slave cylinder QDs
  • Shifter
Still sounds like the thing to do would be start out with a S197 T5 and a junker Foxbody T5 WC and combine the two.

Back