4.0 SOHC Owners - What is your Avg. MPG and.... ?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Owners - What is your Avg. MPG and.... ??

rx4phun-
if it is just this 1 tank of gas around 6-7 mpg, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You may just have gotten a bad tank. Sometimes old gas from a station has already broken down (at the molecular level) that it burns less efficiently.
keep track over a good 3 or 4 tanks. Use a busier station (fresher gas) like a popular mobil. if that does nothing, drop me a line again. has your performance decreased at all? any discolored smoke out the exhaust?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no real performance decrease but I dont have much acceleration with 33s and 3.73s. THis tank is exceptionally bad but there shouldnt be any reason for it. I understand what you mean, I have gotten bad tanks before. However, I amjust concerned thatmy mileage just keeps going down. First had the lift & tires I was getting about 16 or so with a good mix of highway and city. It has dropped to 11 or 13 at the same time i got my truck back from the ford dealer for 00M12 and another one, I think 99M12 (cam shaft chain tensioner & lower intake manifold gasket) and a PCV replacement. I dont know if the mileage had anything to do with these things or not but I would like to figure it out. Could me my fuel filter to some extent. dont know what else. My alignment is good. I keep a little more air than I should in my tires considering I am 12.5" wide on 8" rims. around 30 or 31 psi. I dont drive fast or stupid and havent been in 4wd lately or to any decent extent in the past few months.
Gary

98 xlt 4x4 auto 3.73 standard 55,000 mls 25.5 mpg(imperial gallon 4.5 ltrs)110 degrees a/c blowing hard 98 octane.
on a trip before injectors done (1 was 75%blocked)
no trip since
not game to check economy around town

2001 Explorer Sport
4.O S0HC, 4x4, Automatic, 3.73, Apten Chip, KKM Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Lowered, 275/45-20" tires, and roof rack.

I am getting arround 18+ mpg, driving 50/50 city & Highway.

Originally posted by Rx4phun
harry I envy your mileage

LOL. I think it could be better.

I forgot to mention that I try to drive 60-65 when I'm not in a hurry and occasionaly do some "mild drafting" behind tractor trailers and other SUV's when there's light traffic.

'91 110,000 miles
4WD 3.73 LS
Auto/OHV

17 combined, have gotten 20+ on long highway trips.

Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but how do I find out what kind of differential I have?

On the sticker on your drivers door there is an axle code. Post that in here and someone will be able to tell you what you have.

I think I found the right thing... listed under 'Axle' was 'D4' whats that mean?

3:73 Limited Slip

98 sport 4X4 4.10 LS
average 12 - 15 MPG
only performance mod is a K&N filter.

Originally posted by Rx4phun
1998 SOHC 3.73 4wd w/ auto 4wd, auto trans, 33x12.5 tires 3"BL 1.? TT to match shackles and I usually get 11-13 which is less than I can afford but htis tank is looking like 6 or 7 mpg. No that is not a typo, there has to be something seroiusly wrong and I seriously need to fix it b/c I cant afford to drive anymore. ANy suggestions besides go back to stock
Gary

Has your speedometer been corrected after the 33's?

Results of brown wire, KKM, Magnaflow, Brown wire

Reporting back after our 2/3 X Country spring break trip... I was carrying 2 passengers + gear for waaay too many (ski trip) and I saw as high as 20.5 going west. On this same trip I also saw 14.2 on I70 through kansas, but I'm blaiming that on the kansas wind and the roof rack holding 3 pairs of skis and 2 snowboards that was not on the truck to begin with (and the pair of 4 door leaf springs that were in the back in addition to the rest of our crap)

My overall impression?

I averaged 19 MPG for 4 days on I70 through the front range (west of Denver)... For 5400-10,000 ft elevation at 60-85 mph and 85 octane, I think that is pretty daggum good.

So my observations, for long distances, power mod's + brown wire doesn't do crap.

You'll see the most improvement in mixed driving where your truck can stay in higher gears due to the increased torque/hp.

With 32s and 4.10s i usually get around 14 city and 17 highway...not good at all, but better than my 9mpg i got in my Dak-RT

1998 Sport SOHC. 4:10 Gear W/ Remanufactured engine replaced by Ford at 67,115 mi. I am averaging 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway about 2mpg better in each category since the replacement. With no apparent loss of power. My current mileage is 68,589 and not even a drop of oil missing. Lucky Me! Knock Wood! :D

Why was your engine replaced?

25.39 highway at 70 M/H
13.5 in the city

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jejeje one detail
My explorer is equiped to use GLP it cost to me 1.20 Usd per galon

Back