• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Tranny interchangeability?

stonerboys

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys, I have a 99 sport with the old style 4.0 OHV in it and the tranny in it is shot. I found a tranny out of a 99 sport with the 4.0 SOHC that was wrecked in the front. The guy told me I could have it for $100 and he’d pull it out. I’m just wondering if his tranny will work since they’re 2 different motors and I was under the impression that they were different tranny’s? Can anyone confirm or help clear up this confusion for me? Some places I’ve looked said yes and some have said no. I was going to check the trans code on the door tags of both if they even have them or maybe the vin’s to possibly see if that’ll give me the info I need. Thanks in advance!

I am decently sure it will work they used the 5R55E on models after 96 equipped with a v6 . if you can get the trans codes from the doors . that will help . keep us updated

Hey guys, I have a 99 sport with the old style 4.0 OHV in it and the tranny in it is shot. I found a tranny out of a 99 sport with the 4.0 SOHC that was wrecked in the front. The guy told me I could have it for $100 and he’d pull it out. I’m just wondering if his tranny will work since they’re 2 different motors and I was under the impression that they were different tranny’s? Can anyone confirm or help clear up this confusion for me? Some places I’ve looked said yes and some have said no. I was going to check the trans code on the door tags of both if they even have them or maybe the vin’s to possibly see if that’ll give me the info I need. Thanks in advance!
@stonerboys
I seem to recall hearing that the bellhousing bolt-up pattern on these 2 engines is not the same. Check that. imp

Your good. OHV and SOHC share everything in relationship with the transmission. It will bolt right up.

...and just for reference both my '99 OHV and '00 SOHC have the same trans code on the door and for that matter so does the '08 Ranger 4X4 I just pulled the trans out of.

They're all the same trans.

Back