• Register Today It's free!

4.0 transmission lines

NevurMind85

Reaction score
City, State
Floyds Knobs Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer limited
ok guys so ive been having a leaking problem with the radiator. it broke on my wife friday so saturday i got a replacement radiator and got to work. went to pull off the lower line, broke the threads loose and it twisted the line like a twisler so now i get to replace it. wife wants me to replace it with a factory replacement line. my question is will the 5.0 v8 lines work or where can i get the lines for the 4.0 ohv v6?
any help is very much appreciated guy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No unfortunately. Although running a auxiliary cooler is my backup plan.

Just a thought... My local NAPA had a lot of different size and type brass fittings. I wonder if you could find one that would thread into the fitting on the radiator that had a barb style fitting on the other end. If so you could cut off the fitting and the twisted part of the damaged hard line and replace it with a short length of transmission cooler rubber line using a couple of hose clamps. Trans lines don't carry much pressure, so that should work find. The trick is finding the right fitting to screw into the rad. The barbed end would probably be 3/8" O.D.

It looks like thats what I'mgoing to have to do. Ford says that the part numbers are the same for the v6 as the v8 but pics clearly show the lower line being different on the v6 as the v8 lower line is shorter and has a barb and the v6 lower is longer and has threaded fittings at both ends.

Junk yard..pretty common thing people do,know i have

It looks like thats what I'mgoing to have to do. Ford says that the part numbers are the same for the v6 as the v8 but pics clearly show the lower line being different on the v6 as the v8 lower line is shorter and has a barb and the v6 lower is longer and has threaded fittings at both ends.

If you can't find the fitting you need at NAPA, you may want to try somewhere that makes hydraulic lines. Or get a piece from the JY as suggested.

Just a thought... My local NAPA had a lot of different size and type brass fittings. I wonder if you could find one that would thread into the fitting on the radiator that had a barb style fitting on the other end. If so you could cut off the fitting and the twisted part of the damaged hard line and replace it with a short length of transmission cooler rubber line using a couple of hose clamps. Trans lines don't carry much pressure, so that should work find. The trick is finding the right fitting to screw into the rad. The barbed end would probably be 3/8" O.D.
I have done this exact thing on my Bronco and it works great. I wrote up a how-to on it as well: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...402-how-repair-transmission-cooler-lines.html

Back