bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
I just figured since there was a 5.0 thread just started I'd get a 4.0 going as well.

Would like some suggestions for small power bolt on mods that are still available I have a flow master exhaust and that's it performance wise. any body know of some small upgrade parts or mods to improve power? Like chips, tuners, throttle bodies.....etc that's worth the price? I wish I would of done a cam and valves, lifters rods,springs, injectors etc.... When I had it out for the rebuild but didn't have the funds.

Please don't tell me to swap in a V8 lol I know there awesome but that's not happening any time soon I'll probably be solid axle swapped before then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please don't tell me to swap in a V8 lol I know there awesome but that's not happening any time soon I'll probably be solid axle swapped before then.

You should have got a V8, ..., oh well, you already covered that.

The under drive balancer and a 70mm TB are the easiest two items I think of for the 4.0's. After those, the choices are few because the aftermarket doesn't do much for the 4.0 engines. A VB kit would be smart for the trans, those are a weak link. I'd do those and then a dual exhaust, two mufflers and tail pipes(I know I mention it for all 302's, the 4.0 is big enough that it needs it also(especially the 4.0 SOHC(turns 6000rpm))). 2.5" pipes and cats etc, dual all the way back, that should lean the A/F ratio enough to require new tuning for the PCM.

Find the thread by Al, he had the "30 MPG" thread too. He did quite a few things with his SOHC, and almost everything works for both 4.0's. He had synthetic in everything which is wise. He did everything you will find mentioned anywhere, minus the dual exhaust. He hit 200-205rwhp, and it would have been a little higher with a bigger exhaust.

Nice! I appreciate the info I do have a transgo shift kit I forgot to mention that it is nice especially when I get on it it's very firm and crisp. and I was looking on the one website from recent thread that has all kinds of parts for the engine but it's all pretty expensive. Where can I find the upgraded throttle body? And the under drive balancer? Is that a smaller crank pulley? I would love to see 200 hp I know it'll be a noticeable significant improvement. And as far as the tune would you recommend to find a local shop or get a flash paq and download some tunes? Would I need an upgraded maf also?

Lol when I hydro locked the engine I ride with the tow truck driver back to my house and he waited around for a minute first thing I did was to try to turn the engine over manually with a breaker bar and it wouldn't budge and he laughed and said "you know what you got to do now right" I was said"what's that?" he's says "you got to drop a V8 in it !" and I gave it a considerable thought but I didn't have the money to do the swap. I'm sure doing a gear change would make a big improvement as well. Too many things so little money :rolleyes:

Is it the SOHC? The OHV was closer to 160hp. The TB from the late 90's, early 2000's Mustangs had a bolt pattern that matched the 4.0, it was a 70mm I'm sure. I had a ported stock one before Al had done that to his. Hunt his thread for those details. The balancer yes is a hair smaller, it didn't really effect my alternator or the WP, just a slight decrease of belt speed.

The balancer was high, say $260, and the TB I recall those being under $100 used. An SCT flasher is the standard way to reprogram the 96-01's, be sure to not buy one that is not unlocked/married. They can be married five times total, each time it's used for a PCM, that's one used up. The cost to unlock one I think is still $150. So a used one for say $150 is good, if unlocked(no OEM program stored inside it), but high if you had to pay $150 more to unlock it.

I'm running the ohv I like the durability and the low end torque isn't bad but horse power wise psh! Maybe next time I'm at the junk yard I'll look for that throttle body will it need to be tuned after the tb?

200hp would be a stretch, as the 4.0 is actually pretty heavily modified, as is.

Yea ultimately I'd love that but is it the adapter kit itself over $1,000? Or was there a supercharger made for that engine and I would just have to get it from the junkyard and if so would it need to be tuned or anything else need to be done after adding a supercharger?

You would want a tune.

v8 swap will be 215 hp stock and cost half of what it would cost to bring the 4.0 to 185 hp. And you would not get the 300 ft lbs of torque ever.

You say the v8 swap will not happen until after the sas, however I think if you swap the v8 in after the sas you might find the sas doesn't fit quite right.
You be able to find a complete v8 donor truck for well under 900.00. 900.00 will not go far for 4.0 performance upgrades.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. I had to say it.

I want to sas but realistically it'll probably never happen and if I was going to do the V8 swap I would have done it when I had the engine pulled not long ago. I'm not looking to spend big money or have 200hp mainly wanted to know if there were small upgrades and mods/tricks for not a lot of money that was worth doing.i know I could dump $10/15k in that motor and see maybe close to 300 hp if I'm lucky . It's not a high performance to start with but it has been reliable for me it has enough power to get me where I'm going and the torque in my opinion is not bad it suits my needs and has a pretty good/quick throttle response it's actually pretty close if not the same if I recall correctly to the 4.0 high output Jeep engine that some people Rave about. But if I can get small upgrades like an upgraded throttle body maybe a tune if it can give me some noticeable performance that's worth the price that was what I was looking for.

....... A super charger would be bad ass though! Haha

And at 300hp your 4R would probably last a week. One thing I learned racing atvs was that if you wanted to go faster, spend your money on ride and suspension. Typically with $750 in your suspension setup you could crush the guy on the track with motor work, and every "power" bolt on. You can realistically add 20-25 hp without sacrificing too much cash or reliability. I'd put my extra cash in off road niceties like on board air, recovery gear, bumpers, and the such.

And at 300hp your 4R would probably last a week. One thing I learned racing atvs was that if you wanted to go faster, spend your money on ride and suspension. Typically with $750 in your suspension setup you could crush the guy on the track with motor work, and every "power" bolt on. You can realistically add 20-25 hp without sacrificing too much cash or reliability. I'd put my extra cash in off road niceties like on board air, recovery gear, bumpers, and the such.

Exactly and the only performance parts iv seen so far (there may be more) is Kevlar bands and low stall HD torque converters. I'm pretty much at my final stage I have everything I want on it. The only things I would like now is a re gear and a locker, bumpers are way too expensive they look cool but I haven't needed them yet. the main reason I'd get one would be a rear for a swing out tire carrier and Jerry can brackets. Maybe at some point I'd like 35's and a 1354m swap whether a super lift or sas . With that set up I could tackle the harder more extreme trails in my region but It won't happen anytime soon but I plan on keeping my ex for life so you never know maybe someday if the money is right. But like what was mentioned earlier with the throttle body etc...if i could get parts at the junk yard of other models that will bolt on and boost performance a little. That is something I'm interested in. I'm also interested in trying out some different tunes being basically stock engine wise would this be worth looking into? Maybe for mpg or a little more pep. What am I looking at price wise on average

A little off subject but a recent thing I saw recently I thought was neat was a carburetor conversion kit for the 4.0s. Don't really want to go back in time technology wise. But electrical/ sensor issues can be a PITA sometimes.

Is it just me or does it seem like more and more people are swapping in v8's I haven't been active on EF for awhile until recently but I don't remember so many people doing it before. It's like v6's are so 90's now LOL. On top of power and better trans I did always love the sound of a v8.

Because you'll get more MPG's with a v8. Because there were so many more of em made. Because the parts are cheaper. Because they have been short changed at one time or another for power.
Because they are easier to work on. v8 spark plug change is literally a 15 minute job.
I can go on. I've had all explorer engines in my possession at one time or another. The v8 will climb hills at 75mph on the interstate with larger tires . The v8's will be slowing down waiting on the 4.0 guys. They will also pump in less fuel at fuel stops. A v8 will pull 33" tires with 410 gearing like it was stock. You'll need 456 gears to be peepy with 33" tires on a 4.0.

BOTH OHV engines are rock solid, but as with anything, the sooner you make the change the sooner it will pay off.

Because you'll get more MPG's with a v8. Because there were so many more of em made. Because the parts are cheaper. Because they have been short changed at one time or another for power.
Because they are easier to work on. v8 spark plug change is literally a 15 minute job.
I can go on. I've had all explorer engines in my possession at one time or another. The v8 will climb hills at 75mph on the interstate with larger tires . The v8's will be slowing down waiting on the 4.0 guys. They will also pump in less fuel at fuel stops. A v8 will pull 33" tires with 410 gearing like it was stock. You'll need 456 gears to be peepy with 33" tires on a 4.0.

BOTH OHV engines are rock solid, but as with anything, the sooner you make the change the sooner it will pay off.

So you are saying that the Plugs on my 5.0 will be easier to change in on my Daughters 4.0? I like hearing that. When I look at my 5.0 I see a Nightmare for changing my plugs. LOL But with all you said I guess I better go look for a new rear and front axle with 4.10s. Cause the most I really want is 33's on my ex.

So you are saying that the Plugs on my 5.0 will be easier to change in on my Daughters 4.0? I like hearing that. When I look at my 5.0 I see a Nightmare for changing my plugs. LOL But with all you said I guess I better go look for a new rear and front axle with 4.10s. Cause the most I really want is 33's on my ex.

Jack the front up a little, maybe 2-3 inches with wheels still on the ground, and look in thru the wheel wells. It's all right there for ya. With the v8 the only reason to open the hood for a plug swap is to let light in. Go in through the wheel wells.

Jack the front up a little, maybe 2-3 inches with wheels still on the ground, and look in thru the wheel wells. It's all right there for ya. With the v8 the only reason to open the hood for a plug swap is to let light in. Go in through the wheel wells.

Sweet. That just made my day :) Thank you Turdle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey now, my body lift puts my plugs at the center of the wheel well on my v6;)

Back