• Register Today It's free!

4.0L to 5.0L conversion

Harry

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Has anyone done a 4.0L to 302 conversion? I'm interested in engine mounts, bell housing, and transmission infomation.

Harry
'91 EB Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YES, I would be interested too, been thinking about doing that for a few months now..

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

It is possible, and would give great performance upgrades, but I haven't done it so I don't really know about mounting information. Someday I will have one in my car, but I figure while I'm at it I might as well build the v8 from the ground up, and that's just not financially possible right now. Dead Link Removed

------------------
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
-Ralph Wiggum

[This message has been edited by Dignan (edited 05-21-2000).]

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/tech/v8swaps/

I would have emailed you a slew of sites to you, however you don't have an email address listed.

------------------
Brian Tomarchio
1993 XLT 4x4

"Do you know what four dollars will get you today? It won't get you three dollars."

Thanks Brian

It sounds like an Explorer would be an even better candidate for a 302/351. The Explorer has a 8.8 rearend and the AODE transmission. They were not specific about 4.0L vs. 5.0L bellhousings, however.

Torque, lots of low end Torque!

Harry
04/90 EB Explorer

Thanx for the slew of sites Dead Link Removed I looked at a few of them already, all I need to do now is get the $$$$ to do this.. Sux to be poor.. heheheh

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Yeah the money part is tough. I have figured it will cost about $7000 to do the conversion right (fresh engine, and tranny, labor, headers, adapter for t-case, etc....)

A good site to go look at is http://www.kaufmannproducts.com/
They have a good explaination of what is needed (the site is mostly about Rangers, but the Ranger is identical underneath to a 91-94 Explorer, prior to the SLA front end.)

Kool, mine is only a 2WD so I wouldn't have to worry about some ot the things that you do, and I would turn it into a hobbie engine and do the work myself... Save a few bux on the way... Paint the block and all that.. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Back