4.0L Upper EGR Tube O-Ring Is Constantly Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Upper EGR Tube O-Ring Is Constantly Leaking

coreweave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
It really bugs me when I cannot figure out small/minor issues...

I have replaced the o-ring 5 times for the EGR tube that connects to the upper intake manifold. Everytime I remove the old one, it appears to look deformed and I can see the area it's leaking from. When I install a new one, I make sure the o-ring is seated evenly.

I have begun to heat up the old o-ring with a heat gun to shape it back to original because it saves me a trip to the Ford Dealership & a few bucks each time.

My CEL is an indicator that I need to replace/re-seat the o-ring. Usually after I replace/repair it, I can go several hundred miles going easy on the gas. It's when there is heavy load on the engine is when the o-ring gives out and throws a CEL & the rough idle re-appears.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is Ford giving me the wrong part? The o-ring I have has two recesses around the o-ring. The recesses is like the ends of a barbed hose fitting. That is the section where it leaks from.

I was thinking about going to the hardware store and buying a variety of regular o-rings to see if it will help seal the EGR tube but I'd rather have the right parts on there than use a band-aid fix.

Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went through this crap also, put a new ford one on and a few months later it would start sucking air. This last time I got the fel pro oring and put it right above the factory ford oring. You will have two orings side by side in a very tight fit together on the end of the tube. But once you push the tube back in the intake you will be able to tell very quickly that this is a better seal and fit by how tightly it goes in there.

here is a link to what you need
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/FEL0/71202.oap?keyword=71202

fel pro part 71202. It was a pain for the guy at the store to find it even though I can find it online on their website.

Thank you! That will save me some time trying to find the right size.

Here's what I had done with my 95. Before I replaced it with a new one I took electrical tape and put about 4 wraps around the tube. Then I smeared a light coating of silicone around the tape, then slid the seal over the tape. You'll notice that when you put the EGR tube in the intake it's a lot tighter and shouldn't leak again... or at least mine hasn't in over 8,000 miles :)

Silicone is harmful to the O2 sensors. I suggest preventing silicone vapor from entering the intake system where it eventually can get to the exhaust system.

Point well taken but... once the silicone is cured there's not vapor. Try it out. Put some on a rag or a stick, let it sit for a day. Peel it off, smell it, taste it chew it... nothing!

Thanks! I'll give the tape wrap a try if on its own the seal seems like a sloppy fit. Odd that these things fail. Is it because they seem to be a poor fit?

I need to get down to do this... I get horrible gas mileage and I lean out because of this...

I wish there was a freakin WALK THROUGH to get this god damn EGR tube OFF. BAH!

Here's the order I did things in on our 96 4.0 OHV:
1) Spray the EGR tube fitting on the right of the EGR valve with PB Blaster several times.
2) Spray it again some hours later
3) Remove the EGR vacuum hose and the "tree" that it is part of.
4) Remove plug wire #4 to get it out of the way and prevent damage.
5) Remove nut holding the oil dipstick tube.
6) Wiggle, jiggle tug and pull the dipstick tube out of the block.
7) Loosen the fitting on the EGR pipe exiting the right of the EGR valve. If necessary, respray with PB Blaster
8) Remove two bolts attaching the EGR valve to the vertical tube going to the intake.
9) Remove the EGR valve. Examine the crush gasket for damage.
10) Loosen and remove the stud attaching the EGR tube to the block. This is the same one that the dipstick was attached to.
11) Pull the bottom of the tube away from the block and wiggle it to loosen it from the intake if necessary. Mine just fell out. Explained the leak I had.

I'd have pictures to go with this but it is pretty cramped down there. After head scratching time it might be 30 minutes plus the PB Blaster soak time which I know can be highly variable. I had little trouble disconnecting the fitting on mine, but I soaked it three times the day before and twice before I put wrench to it.
Joe

EGR Seal to Intake Manifold

I have a '97 with the infamous 4L SOHC engine. About a year ago, I had to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the very expensive thermostat housing which was leaking.
When I went to the Ford dealer to get a new o-ring seal for the EGR valve output to upper intake manifold, they sold me one with grooves around the edge, and it was black in color. After I removed the upper intake manifold, I noted that the o-ring used was greenish in color, didn't have any grooves around the edge and had a larger cross-section.
It turns out that depending on when the vehicle was manufactured, they used different seals.
Make sure that you have the Ford dealer verify that they sold you the proper seal for your vehicle.

Good luck,
Dick

The OEM one I replaced is as you described. The Felpro replacement I used was the green O-ring. So far the green O-ring has held up.
Joe

I
The OEM one I replaced is as you described. The Felpro replacement I used was the green O-ring. So far the green O-ring has held up.
Joe
got lucky, found the green one at the junkyard. They gave it to me for free.

Hopefully you'll get lucky and that used one will work for you. I never reuse old rubber gaskets or o-rings as they can or will take a "set" and/or become too hard to properly seal. That holds especially true with manifold gaskets. And, if it does leak, you get to go thru the removal of the upper intake all over again. BTW...you can buy these for about $1.50 at Rockauto. Or, local auto parts stores for about $3.00.

Lube the O-ring with a dab of dielectric grease for easy installation. The grease also helps to seal and prevents the O-ring from drying out.

My 2000 Sports have the green "round" cross section type O-rings.

use a mixture of oil and stp to lube the o-ring this will swell the o-ring in the bore used to do this when working on cummins engines
roscoe

It really bugs me when I cannot figure out small/minor issues...

I have replaced the o-ring 5 times for the EGR tube that connects to the upper intake manifold. Everytime I remove the old one, it appears to look deformed and I can see the area it's leaking from. When I install a new one, I make sure the o-ring is seated evenly.

I have begun to heat up the old o-ring with a heat gun to shape it back to original because it saves me a trip to the Ford Dealership & a few bucks each time.

My CEL is an indicator that I need to replace/re-seat the o-ring. Usually after I replace/repair it, I can go several hundred miles going easy on the gas. It's when there is heavy load on the engine is when the o-ring gives out and throws a CEL & the rough idle re-appears.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is Ford giving me the wrong part? The o-ring I have has two recesses around the o-ring. The recesses is like the ends of a barbed hose fitting. That is the section where it leaks from.

I was thinking about going to the hardware store and buying a variety of regular o-rings to see if it will help seal the EGR tube but I'd rather have the right parts on there than use a band-aid fix.

Thank you in advance.
I have a 07 Ford explorer 4.0 can you remove that little pipe inside of the intake manifold that goes to the EGR valve is that hard to get off because my new one didn't come with it

I have a 07 Ford explorer 4.0 can you remove that little pipe inside of the intake manifold that goes to the EGR valve is that hard to get off because my new one didn't come with it
You're in the wrong generation Mark, this is 2nd Gen 95 -2001. Hello though from north O.C. My ex-boss lived in Mission Viejo.

Back