will 4.10's be 2LW4Me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

will 4.10's be 2LW4Me?

mflores

Reaction score
Last month I put a new set of 31x10.5x15's to replace the stock 225's. This weeked I went off-roading and found out I lost a lot torque on my truck. I decided to look into my manual to find out which gears my truck is set with. To my surprise it has the 3.27's gears. Should I replaced them with 3.73's or should I go with the 4.10s. I do not plan to go with any tire bigger than the 31's. I'm sure of it. Thanks in advance.

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
H/T 8.5x15 Centerline wheels
31x10.5 BRIDGESTONES A/T DUELERS
K&N filter
OUTLAND front & rear guards
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
SPLITFIRE ignition wires & BOSCH PLATINUM +4 plugs
,...& more to come

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with the 4.10s I am running 30's with 3.73s and it has the potential for more. Check out the richmond gear site and plug in your numbers to find out exactly how much of an affect each set will have on highway speed and rpms etc. I am planning 33s with 4.56s. Hope this helps. www.richmondgear.com

------------------
Robbie J 1991 XLT 4x4 4.0 4-door

I would go with the 4.10's... Actually, we did.. We had 3.27's and didn't like them with the 30" tires so 2 days after we got the 4.10's installed we got the new 31's (we did the gears when the 30" tires were ready to be replaced). The gearing seems perfect for the tire size. On the highway.. in overdrive (auto tranny) we are just under 3000 rpms at 85mph. We still haven't changed to speedo so it is still reading 22% off. I think I'm going to leave it 22% off since that way the little woman (who has a heavier foot than me) can't drive faster than 90. At 90ish the truck thinks it is going over 105 and the governor kicks in. In low range with the tranny in 1st it has enough engine braking to keep things under control.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://www.legendz.com/~mark
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

As far as I know you don't need a new cross pin (it is not on my receipt). We paid $1800 for 2 sets of 4.10, a detroit locker for the rear and install. The detroit cost us $525 so the gear only change was around $1200 (parts and larbor and tax)

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://www.legendz.com/~mark
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies
Click Dead Link Removed to see our Explorer Specs

I run 31ns on 4.10.
factory tires were 235`s and gears were 3.73.
I also have a 5 speed trans. and it is an improvement, but the real thing for off-road is 4.56.

------------------
93xlt,4.0,5Speed,2.5 lift,4.10gears, headers,catback,31M/T BFG,K&N..........

Thanks for your quick responses!!!.
Ira..
I need to know what else needs to be replaced besides the ring & pinion on the on the front and rear. Does it need a new carrier for the lower gears?, or anything else. I will be getting the gears(ring & pinion) along with a complete gear set-up kit. I also have a 1987 Bronco II, when the gears were changed to 4.10's I needed a different cross-pin for the 7.5 rear and also a different carrier for the DANA 28. The shop were the gears were done (on the Bronco II)charged me $200 for the rear and $250 for the front. The set-up is similar to the explorer, so I hope the prices will be about the same.
Thanks for your input

Sorry, .......my mistake ,previous reply was addressed to Maniak.

Back