• Register Today It's free!

4.6 AWD MPG what do you get?

legionxxii

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 f150
Well my crewcab diesel will be gone in a week and looking to buy an explorer. I am curious what are you guys gettin on mpg in the AWD models? I know usually the AWD gets worse fuel economy then 2wd or the auto 4wd. Came across a nice 04 limited for a really good price that is awd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 16.5 over the last 5 tanks mostly highway.

I get anywhere from 16 - 19 MPG but probably averages 17MPG.

When I first got it, I got anywhere from 17-22mpg on the highway (111k miles). Now that my 5R55W is taking a dump (nearing 140k), I don't use overdrive much anymore and I get more like 15-16.5mpg highway. On the bright side it hovers right in that range all the time, regardless of if I'm climbing a steep grade or something.

265-70/r16. Maybe noticed a .5-1.0 mpg change when I put them on, it was subtle if not no change at all.

its not very much different V8 or V6 AWD vs 4WD. . .
I know with my '10 ST that is 4WD i get about 14-18mpg (has the 6spd; 235\65\18)
With the '04 Ex v8 AWD it was a little less by 1-2mpg, 13-17mpg (has the 5spd; 245\65\17)
'10 Mounty, V8 AWD (newer type of AWD) 14-18mpg (has the 6spd; 235\65\18)

biggest differences is going from the 2Valve to 3Valve on the V8 and the new 6spd increased the mpg by 1-2mpg. Mixed City/highway over a couple of weeks time.

I get anywhere from 16 - 19 MPG but probably averages 17MPG.

Mines the same with the AWD bypass switch (I turn it off unless I need 4x4)..

Best tank was 21mpg going to North carolina thru the mountains at 70mph steady..

average drive is 16.5mpg at 75mph

I'm curious to know if y'all are calculating your MPG on every tankful or if you are quoting the numbers from the computer. I don't calculate the MPG by hand as "it is what it is". However, out of curiosity I'll look at the computer on from time to time. Highest the computer told me is 21 going downhill from Atlanta to Orlando (about 500) miles. Combination city driving it tells me I get around 15 MPG.

Back