4 inch leaf spring on 97 sport

SCEXPLORER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
Sorry guys but i just strated this new thread to get a wuick answer. Would a 91-94 trailmaster 4 inch leaf spring work on my 97 sport 2wd or would a 91-94 skyjacker 4' inch 4wd leaf spring or would a 91-94 4.5" 2wd leaf spring work. I was looking at 4wheelparts online and there are these choices. Don't know which one and i don't want to spend alot on the OME.

-Ray

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont see why not. Ray Lobato used those skyjacker 4" lifted rear springs for a 90-94 on his 97. So either the 4" or 4.5" should work. I wonder why 4WP has the 4.5" cheaper than the 4" though?

<chanting>SOA...SOA!!!

Yea i hear you about SOA but most sports have the mono leaf which id really like to get rid of. Or is that safe.. How much is a leaf pack from a 4dr and a SOA kit?

Don't know the cost for a used set of leafs but my SOA set me back all of $12.

hrmm $12! where did ya get it. That would be alot cheaper. Get a used 4dr leaf pack and I could use the stock length shocks. Got any URLs or pics?

thanks

I went to the local speed shop and bought Morroso spring perches for $12. I flipped and inverted the factory u-bolt plates (free). I pulled the sway bar and put the lower shock bolts in the lowest holes (free). You will need extended brake hoses.

If I were to do it all over I'd probably buy these anti-wrap spring perches:

Dead Link Removed

I'l borrow a digital camera and post a few pics.

Here's a couple snaps:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the info. but the pics arent showing. So the perch is $45. which radius is it? looks strong too. and the rest is free besides getting longer brake lines you say... so the brake lines wont break and the stock length shocks wont over extend. how much lift did you get and how does it handle with the rear sway bar disconnected? Can it be left connected with this setup?

Thanks

WTF is up with Geocities?!? Try right-clicking and "show picture" a few times.

The 8.8 radius is 3.25". I got ~6" lift and the rear actually rides better now than stock. I'm sure you could rig up some sort of quick-disconnects but I never needed them.

yup, my swaybar has been disconnected in the back and i didnt see a lot of difference. others have said the rear one isnt that important...however dont play with the front one...you need it...only disconnect it for offroad!

Thanks i see it now. Anyways i see it. Looks very simple and inexpensive. Wow you got 6". Hrmmm I was looking for like 5" to keep it sorta even. Im thinking about lifting the front 4" with a superlift ranger kit.

thanks

Just remove the overload spring (when you replace the leafs) for 4" of lift.

Back