• Register Today It's free!

4 Inches

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
Ok so I have been asking questions on here for a while now and I have been reading a lot of threads. I have learned a lot too and think I have an idea for what I want to get. I want to get about 3-4 inches of lift, just enough to fit 33's without rubbing. I don't plan on doing any aggressive trails regularly. The Ex. might see some medium trails 4-6 times a year but that's it. For this reason I don't think it would be smart to invest in a locker, especially since I have no idea exactly how it works or how to install one. I was thinking of buying a 4 inch lift kit but was slammed to see a price range of $800-$1500. So I was thinking more cheap. I was thinking of doing the F150 Coil Seats as well as Coil spacers. Then in the rear I was hoping to get 2" leaf springs and shackles. I know I can install all these no problem but the only thing that I am absolutely clueless about (as far as I know) is the front end. I don't know what the radius arms are or what they do. I don't know how to adjust the caster angles for lifts, or even what it means to adjust the caster angles (which would have to be front and back). Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thanks, Big Red

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to lift the front more than 2" you're going to need some drop down brackets from a lift kit. Any more than 2" without them, and you'll never get it aligned.

Radius arms are the arms that go from your frame to the axles.

Check out the for sale forum on this site. also check out Dezert-Rangers.com or Race-dezert.com for lifts. You can get them pretty cheap usually.

The big reason in price difference between 2" lifts and 4" lift is that 4" requires drop radius arm brackets, drop axle pivot brackets, extended brake lines, and a drop pitman arm, in addition to new springs and longer shocks, all for just the front. You might as well get a 6" lift.

Or put on a 2" lift and then body lift it.

I really considered the body lift but here are some questions that I have about that. Will I still need to adjust the caster(camber?) angle with a 2" lift and a 2" BL? How about line extensions? In short what will need to be done to do a 2" BL with Coil Seats and Shackles? I mean what will need to be extended? lowered? bumpers? How do you relocate bumpers on a 2" BL? Because I know the brackets they suply won't work! Would it be better to do a SOA? But that enters another realm of problems doesn't it?

With a coil seat lift you still need to get it aligned. I don't think you need extended brake lines for 2"

The SOA gives you ~5-6" in the rear, so unless you want to roll stinkbug you'll need at least the 5.5" lift for the front.

There is a template on this site for the 2" bumper brackets, that help you make them yourself.

Also with 33s you're going to want to get gears so while you're in there you might want to at least consider a limited slip if not a locker.

SOA is great if you want to spend $1500 on a front 6" lift. Otherwise, it would be way more lift in the back then in the front.

For a body lift the only extension you need is the steering extension (supplied) and the shifter extension (if you have a manual, auto's need not apply). You should be able to drill new holes and modify the brackets to fit, since they will be for a 3" kit. Or I'm sure you could easily fabricate some up.

Any time you do a front suspension lift you will need to realign. wether with spacers, springs, or new coil seats.

Okay but with a 2" BL and 2" SL will I need to do a camber angle adjustment?
I understand the allignment but its the camber/caster (whatever) that has me worried. Also do I need to worry about radius arms and other things with this lift? Oh and for the back I will just do the Bl and shackles.

2" is the max you can lift without drop brackets so...you might still need the camber adjusters.

Caster won't be a big deal. If you're lifting the rear the same as the front, don't worry about it. Don't worry about the radius arms either, unless your bushings (at the frame end) are looking old.

The rear will be fine with shackles and the bodylift.

so 3" BL with Shackles and F150 Coil seats. This means the back and the front are the same. So does this mean I don't need the camber adjusters? Also, are they a PITA to install? This will give me a total of 4.5" of lift?

It will give you 4.5 to 5". It's not that bad. You will need a 1 1/8" socket, some extensions, a breaker bar, and a cheater bar to get the spring nut off. That's really the only hard thing. You still need to get it aligned to adjust the camber. You can buy the bushings and install them when you do the lift. Or you can have the shop install them when they align it. And you should get some longer shocks soon afterwards.

Hey guys I searched all up and down this website but couldn't find any bumper brackets that seemed to work. One I found that everyone recommended but it's four years old and the pics are down. Then the next one I found, everyone was complaining about the rear bumper and the fact they had to bend stuff and that it was just way too much work. Any suggestions, pics, templates?

This is for the 3"

Front:
front_bumper_lift_brackets.jpg

Rear:
rear_bumper_lift_brackets.jpg

What is the 4 3/4" gap in the front bumper bracket?

When I did mine, I just got a piece of 4" channel iron, held it vertically level against the frame, marked the holes to mount there, measured down 3" from each hole and drilled the 4 holes in each piece. (actually, now that I think about it, I did this to the flimsy piece of metal that came with the kit, and gave that to the guy at the metal shop and he used it as a template and punched the holes for me) It worked perfectly. I had to make a small notch with the grinder because the brackets were too long, but that was no big deal.

Dude I'm not trying to be rude, but a body lift means that you are lifting the body without moving any suspension components... the only reason for doing a body lift is so that you can fit bigger tires where as the suspension lift allows bigger tires while increasing your suspension travel capabilities... the alignment will only be needed for front suspension lift and drop brackets will only be needed for a suspension lift bigger than 2 inches.

I know this is beyond basic, but from what I'm reading I still don't think he understands. I hope this helps.

Understands What???

No just kidding I am deffinately starting to understand but I still have no idea what the drop brackets are for or what a pitman arm or radius arm is. I am starting to get a feel for it but its hard learning with just words. A picture is worth a thousand words but I completely understand that this is kind of hard to explain with or without a picture to someone who is kinda stupid any how. However if I only need the allignments and camber adjustments for something bigger than 2" then I should be good since I am only getting 1 5/8" lift out of F150 Coil Seats right?

Ok if you look close (sorry for pic size) you can see a new looking black bracket going down near the front coil...That is one of the two front drop brackets...
30743frontbk.jpg

here is the second front drop bracket
30743Main1.jpg

Ok and here you can see this is where you radius arms connect to the frame...there are also drop brackets here with the 5.5inch lift...
30743rightbk.jpg

If i were you i would go ahead and get a 5.5inch superlift suspension kit...It has everything you will need to do the swap....Including the drop pitman arm...They are around 500 dollars and thats not to bad considering it is a full kit.. pm if you need any more pics i have quite a few of the 5.5inch lift kit instal

Edit: the pitman arm is the steering arm that connects directly to you steering box....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys I searched all up and down this website but couldn't find any bumper brackets that seemed to work. One I found that everyone recommended but it's four years old and the pics are down. Then the next one I found, everyone was complaining about the rear bumper and the fact they had to bend stuff and that it was just way too much work. Any suggestions, pics, templates?

on my 3in. body lift , i just cut the frame, put the bumpers where i needed them and welded them back up with some new suport pices..
i dont have pics yet, i just did it last night, and my canon digi broke....

Back