410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4 | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune 1988 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer 4x4

Yes! So glad to see one of the OG BII's still running!

R.J. - Looking at your sig I see you have a 1990 BII. Doing a 4.0 swap into that is fairly simple if I remember. The dash harness might need a few wires re-done but I think it's pretty much wired for the 4.0 OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"
New
I have a question on the vss I got under the car to put the '92 wiring to the '84 I wired it in parallel because I had a brain f rt does it need to be wired in parallel or series thanks"

What? 92 VSS is similar to 1984 I am pretty sure they are wired the same
VSS in the tailhousing/t case has a signal wire to the PCM and a ground wire to the PCM

I can help with 4.0 conversions I have done MANY of them into all sorts of RBV's
1989 -1990 is the easiest because they have the big white plug going through the firewall and so do the early 4.0
Usually we are now using the 95+ OHV and many conversions end up being OBDII so we can keep the plastic intakes and use the superior 4.0 (95+ stronger heads, 97+ 8 bolt crank)

Heck yeah I am still here! Rick invited me to be a mod again, it's very nice to have the time to be back here posting!! The BII is about to get some serious updates, I have been collecting parts for a long time..shes about due for some upgrading

Pulled the trigger on a James Duff rear bumper with tire swing and jerry can holder. I have been wanting one of these for years! Its finally coming my way!!

I've wanted one of those too

I installed one for my friend and ever since I have needed to buy it! I could build one but have not found the time in the last 3 years or so LOL

Hows that redhead steering gear? Tight?

absolutely the best upgrade I have made to my front end, the bii holds the road and steers like a much much newer truck, even with my modified ttb and steering

absolutely the best upgrade I have made to my front end, the bii holds the road and steers like a much much newer truck, even with my modified ttb and steering

Better steering? Tell me more!

Okay my 88 steering system:
Redhead steering gear box, superlift Superrunner steering system with Chevy one ton TRE
I keep the superlift bushings in the idler arm greased. Even with my 5" of suspension lift my beams and steering tie rods run flat/ in phase with the beams (factory like geomety) my camber correction shims are basically set at stock keeping my camber at 0 at ride height. I set my toe at 0 also, I find with 35" tires I do not need any toe in, just straight up 0 degrees camber and 0" of toe. I run Raebestos premium ball joints upper and lower and with this setup I have almost zero bump steer and the truck handles better then it EVER DID stock or with the beams stretched out for lift.
The redhead box removes all slop from the steering, my BII is tight and responsive both on and off road.
Checkout the redhead website for more info on how they fix the defective factory steering gear and ship you a better box. I cant wait to get one for my 97 CCFB 7.3 shop truck

The BII is in the shop RIGHT NOW for the first time in a WHILE getting some much needed love.
First I am installing my new James Duff plate rear bumper with tire and jerry can swings (needs primed and paint)
Fixing the rocker rust (3rd time is a charm!)
Fixing my bent tailpipe (moab 2007)
and installing my new Idaho custom license plates!!! (vanity plates cheap in ID, heck taxes and fees here are super cheap and NO EMISSIONS)
I may also remove or cover my roof basket, it simply collects too much snow in the winter and is a PITA!!

I use my BII as a daily driver in the winter, and winter is coming quick this far up North fall is in full effect!! (09/22/18)
I have not carried a full size spare on the back of this truck in 15 or so years now, I cant wait!!
I need to add some sort of small back seat so I can use this to haul 3 kids to school during blizzards, I have a small fold and tumble back bench from a Suzuki Samurai I may use, I also have some Polaris RZR seats and also some Ranger flip down seats from extended cab...not sure which route I will go yet.
I will get some pics of the BII upgrades and steering system for you guys

Sometime soon I will also be re doing the entire exhaust system from the TM headers back, I no longer require cat converters here in ID and my old 2005 v8 system the muffler has rusted through plus the down pipes hang down way too low for my liking. I have learned alot since fist doing the conversion in 05, the BII is finally getting some love in 2018!!

I looked at the redhead website. Is the box the same as the f150 box? That's all they list. And are you still running the factory steering shaft? I know some people upgrade that too.

Do you think the dash out of a Bronco II or Ranger like yours would fit in a 98 Explorer/Mountaineer? I realize the windshield to dash might not be the best but I would be okay with that. I figure with all the times you have taken and put your stuff back together you might know. I sure like those older dashes better!

I looked at the redhead website. Is the box the same as the f150 box? That's all they list. And are you still running the factory steering shaft? I know some people upgrade that too.

I'm 98.9% sure they're the same. When I did the 4.0 swap in my BII I was looking at upgraded steering and the similar era F150's used the same steering box as a first gen Explorer.

Ryan that is a good question about the Gen II dash
I do not think it would work
the 84-88 dash like mine is similar to the 90-94 dash in Rangers and explorers these are interchangeable
The HVAC boxes are slightly different, you have to cut and fab some metal
I have put a 92 dash into a 84 ranger

In 95 the Explorer and Ranger cabs got WIDER more elbow room so I do not think the Gen II dash would fit
Also the 84 Ranger we put the 92 dash into I did not like, the steering wheel gets closer to the driver, in a standard cab ranger it makes it real tight.
I love my 1988 dash, classic style

The F150 and ranger steering box are the same unit, but call Redhead they can sell you the correct piece.

Some 2018 updates to the old girl.
I smashed my tailpipe in Moab some years ago, I then cut the smashed portion off leaving the tail pipe too short and it was actually boiling the fuel in the tank!
Also killed my OBDII gas tank pressure sensor (check engine light and code last 3-4 months)
I did not drive my Bronco much in 2017 because she was due for emissions in Colorado and they will not test vehicles with 35" tires. I sold my explorer and my 33" tires, plus we were moving to Idaho so last year she mostly sat.
Well now we are moved to the panhande of Idaho and the Bronco has a new home
Time to get her back on the road / trail! I am going to need her here as the road to our new house is 2 miles of rocks, hills, silt, sand, mud and plenty of snow.....
So the BII is in the shop
171_262012_440000000.jpg

Moved tailpipe, temporary setup I am planning an entire new exhaust in 2019 from the TMH back...

171_251233_350000002.jpg

171_251240_280000000.jpg

171_251233_350000003.jpg

171_251233_350000004.jpg

Then started fitting my new Duff Tuff rear plate bumper with tire and gas can swings.
171_251239_360000000.jpg

171_251234_150000000.jpg

171_261945_300000000.jpg

171_261945_300000001.jpg

171_261945_310000002.jpg

new 3" tail with turn down. full size 35" on the back! HOORAY!!! I have been carrying my spare tire inside the truck since the 90's, a bronco is supposed to have a rear mount spare! Plus this BII and my wife's FJ cruiser have lots in common, I would like to keep it that way

Also mounted license plate light and reverse light, ran wires through the bumper. I plan to modify the gas can swing to actually hold two cans of fuel instead of one. I still need to install rear view camera and 3rd high mount tail light
Working on LED tail light build, but first I have a bunch of rust to repair and a roof rack that needs attention......

New Autofab hood pins, I LOVE THESE THINGS
First I had to grind out the old nuts from the parts store "stainless steel" specials. After 3 sets of those rusting out I found these from John at Autofab

New larger nuts welded in place
171_191443_000000000.jpg

BIG holes in the hood
171_191443_000000001.jpg

171_191443_000000002.jpg

171_191443_000000003.jpg

171_191443_000000004.jpg

Tired of the wheel arch rust, not liking the way rear fender flares look with the fiberglass front fenders, so I pulled the trigger on a set of Perry's Fab N Fiber (Mcneil Racing) Bronco II fiberglass bedsides! I also ordered Autofab urethane fender mount bushings and tabs. I am really looking forward to removing more sheet metal and adding more fiberglass!!

earlier in this thread I was not thinking clearly, lets re visit
@rpenner54

Do you think the dash out of a Bronco II or Ranger like yours would fit in a 98 Explorer/Mountaineer? I realize the windshield to dash might not be the best but I would be okay with that. I figure with all the times you have taken and put your stuff back together you might know. I sure like those older dashes better!

The 1983-1988 dash is what I have currently
The 1989-90 BII and ranger dash are same as 91-94 explorer and 93-97 Ranger, right?
I have installed a 92 dash into a 84 Ranger before
The 92 dash is the same as Ranger 90-94, I believe and explorer 91-94
In 95 the front of the explorer was updated, and in 95-2011 the ranger was too.... but the doors and body are the same as the 91-94 trucks from the A pillar back, just the dash is molded differently and meshes with the door panels...
Also I am pretty sure the windshield is the same piece of glass? Maybe others will chime in who know more then us.

So the 83-88 style dash should fit the explorer! You would need the metal bezel above the vinyl pad piece too
I am not sure if anyone has done this?
I know my 88 style dash is more simple and it provides alot more knee space then the 89 up style.
The 84 Ranger we built with the 92 dash is pretty cramped, had to get aftermarket seats so at 5'-10" you can even sit comfortably.

I love alot of things about my 1988 model, that is why I still drive a BII....she is a bronco through and through underneath the gas crunch suv rollover prone 3 door body there is a true Ford truck

view2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The windshields will swap from 91-01 Explorers, Ford changed just the mirror mount type in 95 or 98.

I kept the 93 rear view mirror for my 99 rebuild, because I liked the set screw mount of the mirror. So I bought a 91-94 windshield for my 99(93 rear clip/body). Some of the push on mirrors of 95+(or 98+(I don't know for sure when that changed)), vibrate a bit. My 98 Mercury mirror vibrates a little, and it sometimes is a bother to see in it. My 98 Explorer mirror is very solid(hasn't been off since I bought the truck), so some have no movement at all.

I considered using my old 93 Limited door panels in my 99, I cannot recall(2005) if they wouldn't fit with the 99 dash. I like the 2nd gen dash and door panels better though, but that's just my preference.

I'm still hoping to install the 93 steering column(BTW thanks for the manual column) into my Ranchero some day. That's my last project, and I have a NOS late 80's steering wheel to go with it, and new horn and CC controls. Keep the ideas coming.

Back