4R44E Fluid Level (after rebuild) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R44E Fluid Level (after rebuild)

JayT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger, 4cyl 2.3L
Ok...I got my 2wd truck with 4R44E tranny back from it's rebuild. I drove from the shop about 10 miles to check it out, and warm it up...a combination of city and highway driving. I checked the fluid level after stopping, cycling through the gears to be sure, and placing it in park, all the while leaving it running of course. The fluid level is about 1" above the cross hatched area. It was not bubbly or foamy.

The shop that did the rebuild has very experienced techs and a good reputation. I do not want to call them yet questioning whether they did things right, since the tranny drives and shifts like new.

Here are my questions:
Since the dipstick tube has to be removed when the tranny is dropped, could have it been put on deeper or in some other way that would alter the dipstick reading?

If it is slightly overfilled, is that cause for worry, considering it is not foaming?

I believe it to be about 1 pt overfilled according to the dipstick because it is just about the same amount above the crosshatch as the crosshatch is wide, and in the past it is exactly one pint low when at the bottom of the crosshatch.

Thanks in advance for any comments that help me figure this out. I did try a search for a similar problem first, but could not find anything.

Its "probably fine" .... BUT the warning on the stick and manual "don't overfill" is probably there for a reason... :)

Back