4wd / AWD off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm not seeking winter tires. The dealer carries Michelin Latitude original to the explorer and probably a winter tire. I'm getting something my dealer doesn't carry. But either way I don't think tires are the solution to this problem with my AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you gas it in a slippery surface has anyone confirmed the rear wheels are actually spinning? Visual confirmation.

Yes the rear wheel are bitting but when they are overwhelmed with traction loss that is when the AWD shuts out and delivers the AWD off warning and the rear wheels no longer have power. The car will otherwise continue to drive normally as a front driver.

I'm not seeking winter tires. The dealer carries Michelin Latitude original to the explorer and probably a winter tire. I'm getting something my dealer doesn't carry. But either way I don't think tires are the solution to this problem with my AWD
I was just using the Winter tire as an example of tires I bought through the dealer. The Michelin Latitude line are SUV Touring All-Season tires.

Peter

It is really hard to tell what is going on by the video. It looks like you gassed it in frosty grass, slip a little, and get a traction control warning that adjusts traction to stop the tires from spinning? That sounds pretty normal. Especially if you have bald tires.

Does this happen during normal acceleration while offroad or on ice? I dont see any reason that kind of acceleration would be normal in the first place.

The warning light in the video is also saying AWD OFF not 4WD OFF as mentioned above which may be different.

How exactly are you confirming that the rear tires are no longer spinning at all after this happens? Instead of immediately shutting the vehicle off I would give the traction control time to catch up and see if it re-engages under normal driving conditions.

Well a condition where you would need that kind of acceleration is to keep forward momentum in snow or mud. The light says AWD off... watching from the outside u can see the rear tires spinning until the AWD off light comes on afterwards the rear wheel dont have power. I used the frosty grass for demonstration because it was not snowy or wet at the time and didnt really feel like getting the SUV stuck somewhere on my property. Usually while crossing a dry sandy creek bottom on my property. The AWD helps the truck forward for a few seconds but them shuts off and I'm buried in the sand with only the front wheels spinning. I have driven the vehicle more that 50miles after the AWD off warning comes on. AWD does mot restore itself until the vehicle is shut off and the door opened... traction control continues to work normally. And this happens every time I'm off road such as on the dry sandy creek bed on my property. (My mail carrier's 2013 Explorer xlt 4wd pulls thru just fine.) This also happens in snowy days when traction control wont help me up the steep hills in town. Again, my mail carrier makes it through just fine and has never experienced this AWD off warning except when driving with her spare tire

The more I watch the video the more it looks normal. When you dump it from 0 to 7k rpms in a icy field in a traction controlled vehicle with bald tires this is exactly what should happen.

The two other explorers I've driven (another 2012 and a 2017) didnt do this and although the tires were much better they were still overwhelmed and slipping no other AWD vehicle I've owned with or without bald tires has had this kind of issue. My Nissan Rouge AWD can be buried in 2ft of snow and I can lay as much throttle as I please and it never comes goes in to a Fwd only safe mode. I'd also like to add that I've seen some Ford explorer AWD police vehicles do some pretty wild things and I've never heard of them getting stuck in FWD either.

Is there a different dealer you can take it to?

Peter

I've been to 2 so far. One says its normal the other agreed it's not normal but is at a loss and wants to rule out tires first. Will know more this afternoon with new tires

Like I said its really hard to tell by the video and I can see where it might throw the dealership off as well.

I also agree that the AWD should not disengage no matter what the circumstance even if the traction slips.

I would get a thorough inspection done of the driveshaft, PTU, and other related parts at different dealer if possible especially since it is under warranty.

Back