• Register Today It's free!

4x4 and body related questions.

Erik88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4X4 4.6
Hey guys. I have been around this site for a little while now, but this is my first thread.

My first question: When I'm locked into 4x4, either high or low, it makes an audible "whirring" sound when I turn. Sometimes it makes a kind of a "clunking" sound, but not always, and usually just once or twice during the turn.. I do not engage it or use it on dry pavement, only off road. The 4x4 works fine, I just wanted to ask and see if anyone else has this, and if its a sign of a problem or not. There is no noise when its in 4x4 Auto, unless of course the 4x4 engages.

I know noise isn't uncommon on 4x4's since there is no center differential to unlock while turning, but my Ex whines like crazy, yet my dad's 05 Xterra is whisper quiet in 4x4.

Second: When going over rutted or bumpy "washboard" roads, my roof and/of headliner is quite noisy as it starts vibrating because of the bumps. Does anyone else have this problem, and been able to find a way to quiet it down?

Thanks, Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Erik
The clunking in 4x4 when turning sounds like an axle shaft to me.
Its basically the same kind of shaft on a front wheel drive car and you've probably heard them clunk/click when turning.

The cheapest place Ive found for that is www.rockauto.com, my dad just put one on his 02.

As for the headliner, I too have a rattle noise sometimes. Doesn't do it all the time. I have not figured out what exactly is rattling. Something to do with the moonroof I assume.

the only time i've had headliner rattle problems is when i dislocated the sunroof cover. i fiddled around with it until i got it set back into the slider.

Hey guys. I have been around this site for a little while now, but this is my first thread.

Second: When going over rutted or bumpy "washboard" roads, my roof and/of headliner is quite noisy as it starts vibrating because of the bumps. Does anyone else have this problem, and been able to find a way to quiet it down?

Thanks, Erik

Check out this thread, it might be of some help! : http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296863

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have a sunroof, but I wonder if I pulled my headliner if there is not some kind of support there anyway. I may have to investigate that when I have enough time to pull the headliner and everything.

I know it probably wont ever be silent, when I tap on the roof it sounds like a giant drum lol... Although I wouldn't mind it beign a little lett pronounced.

As for the 4x4, does anyone else have a4x4 who might have some insight?

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have a sunroof, but I wonder if I pulled my headliner if there is not some kind of support there anyway. I may have to investigate that when I have enough time to pull the headliner and everything.

I know it probably wont ever be silent, when I tap on the roof it sounds like a giant drum lol... Although I wouldn't mind it beign a little lett pronounced.

As for the 4x4, does anyone else have a4x4 who might have some insight?

All of my Fords have clunked, made noise in 4WD at low speeds at full or close to full lock turning in fwd and reverse, perfectly normal.

Back