4x4 and gauges INOP

orangelowes

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
I have a 1994 Explorer limited automatic with the push button 4x4

As it currently sits, all of the gauge lights work, and the lights behind the 4x4 selector switch work, yet all of the gauges except for the speedo don’t work, and I can’t engage the 4x4

Here’s the catch, it all works in reverse for some reason, my gauges pop on and my 4x4 will engage.

The fuse that controls both of them is blown and has repeatedly blown every time I try to replace it, so I know there’s a short somewhere.

Does anyone know where I should look first?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the fuse that keeps
Blowing? We need to map out that circuit so you can see what circuits are protected and check them out

Yes, knowing which fuse will help immensely. One place I would check pretty quickly is anywhere that has aftermarket equipment installed, such as remote-start, aftermarket alarms, radios and amps, any place that has non-factory equipment. I'm sure you know the drill, someone tries to install something, they twist the wires together, some walmart electrical tape and they figure they are good to go... but, yeah, knowing the fuse will help locate it.

Yes, knowing which fuse will help immensely. One place I would check pretty quickly is anywhere that has aftermarket equipment installed, such as remote-start, aftermarket alarms, radios and amps, any place that has non-factory equipment. I'm sure you know the drill, someone tries to install something, they twist the wires together, some walmart electrical tape and they figure they are good to go... but, yeah, knowing the fuse will help locate it.
It’s fuse 17 in the cabin, also it has an aftermarket stereo as well as one of those devices under the steering collumn where you pull something out and it won’t start (anti theft device)

Interior fuse 17 circuits protected (limited model)
Warning chime
Instrument cluster
Low oil level relay
Electronic shift control module
Electronic shift control switch
Auto day and night Mirrors

You can try unplugging each one of these until the fuse no longer
Blows. Or at least give them all a quick lookover at the wiring

I personally suspect an issue with the ESOF system, perhaps the transfer case shift motor itself is bad, I would try u plugging it first.

Also some years of the electronic shift control module have a white button and a red light these are used for self diagnostics. I believe in a 94 explorer the esof
Module is in the cargo area behind the drivers plastics but don’t quote me on that it has been ages

Of all the circuits protected on fuse 17 the esof is the one that uses the most power and is the most problematic

It’s fuse 17 in the cabin, also it has an aftermarket stereo as well as one of those devices under the steering collumn where you pull something out and it won’t start (anti theft device)
I’m assuming the stereo works with this fuse blown? I’ve seen some wild attempted installs where people have done some strange things.

The really odd thing to me is that they work while in reverse. If you replace the fuse while in reverse does it still blow? (I’d test this with a multi meter, and not a fuse if you have the option)

Back