4X4 fuse keeps blowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

orangelowes

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Hi all! I recently bought a 1994 Explorer Limited 4x4 with the button activation. When I purchased the car the gauge cluster minus the speedo was not working, as well as the 4x4 was not activating.

Today I went to check the fuses, #17 controls the gauges and the 4x4, and it was fried, I thought I lucked out and bought a replacement pack and my car keeps blowing through them.

Side note, when I put my car in reverse the gauges start working and I can engage the 4x4, but it all shuts off in any other drive mode.

Has anyone experienced this?

Wow that's a new one on me. It has to be shorting out somehow when it's in forward gears. No idea why.

Blowing the fuse repeatedly is telling you that the problem is between the fuse and the end of the circuits. Definately a hard short as was pointed out above.

Hi all! I recently bought a 1994 Explorer Limited 4x4 with the button activation. When I purchased the car the gauge cluster minus the speedo was not working, as well as the 4x4 was not activating.

Today I went to check the fuses, #17 controls the gauges and the 4x4, and it was fried, I thought I lucked out and bought a replacement pack and my car keeps blowing through them.

Side note, when I put my car in reverse the gauges start working and I can engage the 4x4, but it all shuts off in any other drive mode.

Has anyone experienced this?
Looks like fuse 17 powers 4x4 switch low oil level relay the instrument cluster day night mirror sensor warning chime. Lots of things. The wire color is red and yellow your pretty much gonna have to check each wire for a hard short. Your splice in which each wire splits off is S213 and says 150mm from branch to ignition switch. Check around the column and under the dash. This one is gonna suck sorry bud.

Back