4x4 Blinking and Wheels Slipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Blinking and Wheels Slipping

SethPukedOnMe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Every other minute my dashboard has the 4x4 Low and 4x4 High light blinking in the upper left corner. They will blink 3 times, wait, then blink 3 times again. When turning I can feel and hear the wheels slip. Also when I push either 4x4 Auto, Low, or High on my center console nothing happens.

What am I dealing with here? How much am I looking at spending to get this issue resolved? I hate not feeling safe in a car that is supposed to be.

edit: It's is a 2003 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like it is stuck in 4 wheel drive. maybe an electrical issue?

Every other minute my dashboard has the 4x4 Low and 4x4 High light blinking in the upper left corner. They will blink 3 times, wait, then blink 3 times again. When turning I can feel and hear the wheels slip. Also when I push either 4x4 Auto, Low, or High on my center console nothing happens.

What am I dealing with here? How much am I looking at spending to get this issue resolved? I hate not feeling safe in a car that is supposed to be.

edit: It's is a 2003 XLT

What do you mean by the wheels slip? Is it the rear wheels slipping on loose gravel or ice, or is it bucking like locked up in 4wd on dry pavement?

And what's with the username? Ewww... :D

your 4X4 Control Module is bad. It's a little black box behind your glove compartment. goes for about 160 with shipping on directfordparts.com. My lights weren't blinking but i would get a jerking/slipping feel under hard throttle....after months of wondering and diagnosing we unplugged the module and everything was fine. Have found other posts on here with the same problem as you, and it was the control module. Hope this helps :)

On dry pavement it feels chunky almost like the wheel is lumpy and stuck in molasses. On wet roads when making a turn my wheels just spin and it sounds like I'm just spinning wheels on ice.

Is there a way to test if the control module is not working? Like an Continuity Tester?

And the username comes from a road trip story. A friend was in the passenger seat, he threw up in a cup and tossed it out the window. My window was down and everything came back in and hit me in the face. His name was Seth.

On dry pavement it feels chunky almost like the wheel is lumpy and stuck in molasses. On wet roads when making a turn my wheels just spin and it sounds like I'm just spinning wheels on ice.

Is there a way to test if the control module is not working? Like an Continuity Tester?

As far as I know the only place that can read the 4X4 module and the output shaft speed sensors for faults is a Ford dealer. What you are describing is almost classic 4X4 module failure except for the chunky stuck in molasses on dry pavement part. I wonder if that's a transmission issue? How many miles on your truck? Ever had transmission and transfer case fluids changed? And welcome aboard, btw.

Back