4X4 driving me insane. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 driving me insane.

jman_07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
So ive posted this in stock explorers as well but i figure i will come here. i get alot of different anwsers from tons of different people but i really need help.

This seems like it could be an underlying problem with this T-case. I have a 2001 Explorer 4.0SOHC BW4405 anyway In Auto Even 4HI around corners if i hit sand my rear end slides out because the rear tires spin. I could be locked in 4HI have the front on pavement and the rear in sand and the rear will spin.

This is odd because the T-case is suppost to lock the front and rear axle together correct?

So i tested it on some gravel Front tires do spin but the rear spins faster.

It did get me unstuck yesterday from some mud however but im not sure its working like it should. I have replaced the rear sensor on the diffy to fix an ABS problem and i changed the T-case fluid The old Fluid looked like dirty oil Really black. Which makes me wonder about the condition of the clutches.

I really need help what do i all need to check to see if this Explorer is working correctly Still goes into 4Lo and that works great almost gives me whiplash. Lights on the dash come on it 4HI and 4LO i hear clicking and it comes on.

Someone needs to explain this to me because if in sand and the rear start spinning and the front is not the computer should sense this so the front can catch up correct?

HELP please!!!

Jared.

So i tested it on some gravel Front tires do spin but the rear spins faster.

It did get me unstuck yesterday from some mud however but im not sure its working like it should.
It is working as it should!

It is working as it should!

I could just be my thinking i believe im just paranoid because my dads Suburban does the same thing.

The only way to truely lock the front and rear drive shaft would be to run 6 bolts through the gears and lock it all as one assembly But then it couldnt be driven on the street. Correct me if im wrong this would work but couldnt be driven on the street.

Back