4x4 not working - lights comes on - have manual hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working - lights comes on - have manual hubs

eastcoastchris

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
93 xlt - Was working great till I let my truck sit in the snow for 2 weeks...

I have warn manual hubs and a cleaned-up x-case motor.

4x4 Light comes on when I press 4x4 high.... don't really hear anything ... when I put it in 4x4 low I hear a noise from the x-case (4x4 low light comes on)... sounds like the correct noise.

The manual hubs were very frozen up, but they did turn with a little trouble.

I parked inside a heated garage for the day, but still doesn't seem to be working.

Suggestions on what to check?

Could the manual hubs be bad? They are fairly new with very little abuse.

Thanks, Chris B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hubs must might not be engaging if they are jammed.

Get someone to watch your truck while you drive it in 4wd with the hubs unlocked to see if the front drive shaft is turning. That will tell you if the xfer case is sending power to the front axle. Then leave it in 4wd, and lock the hubs in. Block the wheels and raise one front wheel off the ground. Try to rotate the wheel by hand. If it turns, you're not locked in on one or both hubs (if your xfer case is functioning). If it doesn't turn you are locked in.

If it does turn, and you have determined that the xfer case is functioning, you should be able to watch the front axle ends turn behind the wheel when the hubs are locked in. By locking both hubs in and turning each wheel by hand while watching the axle ends, you should be able to determine which hub (maybe both) is not locking.

Did some investigation....

The front driveshaft is turning fine ... watched it spin as it enters the front diff.

Got my girlfriend to slowly drive the truck and looked to see if the axles were turning... I seemes like they weren't ??? Maybe I was looking at the wrong place, but I thought I new what to look for.

Is it possible that my front diff is poo? There are no grinding noise or anything. Wouldn't a bad diff lock up or something?

I haven't tried jack up one wheel yet... I'll try that soon and see what happens, but I can't believe the manual hubs are bad as they have only be driving about 100km in the snow on the highway and one day of real off-roading about a year ago.

Thanks,
Chris

I would have a hard time believing your diff is pouched without some grinding and other bad noises. To check unlock hubs and disengaged the t-case (2wd). Turn the front driveshaft by hand, see if either or both of the axles turn...they both should but just one might due to friction. If they both turn, then try engaging the hubs and try turning the driveshaft, you shouldn't be able to because you'd be pulling the weight of the vehicle. If you can turn the driveshaft and the axles are spinning you've got hub problems, if the axles aren't spinning then you've got big problems, like stripped splines, broken u-joints(but I'm sure you check those already) or internal diff problems ( I doubt it though). Oh, and one thing to check, make sure your driveshaft is turning due to t-case output, not due to the hubs being locked.

Honest as ****, hit the electronic 4wd motor with rubber mallet, they freeze up some times and are encrsuted inside there. This always works for me when my hubs will lock, the light comes on, but no 4wd. I am assuming that you have an electronic transfer case with manual hubs.

4x4 Prob's

Justin is right. Go to this site for more info on that damn electric transfer case shifter. Dead Link Removed

I did and it saved me!!!

Another satisfied owner of a Ford Product. Question-"My Electronic 4wd motor doesn't work, what can I do" Answer;Ford Mechanic-"I don't know, did you hit it with a hammer yet." Don't you just love Ford Engineering.

LOL... i have the same problem. Im bringing it in next week or get it fixed or changed....

I'm 95% sure it isn't the t-case shift motor... I had it off the truck last year... apart.. clean it up... put it on, worked great... plus the lights indicate I'm in 4x4 and 4x4 low.

I viewed the drive shaft turning and I fairly sure that I only had it in 2-wheel drive, so it wasn't the wheels (with locked hubs) making the drift shaft spin...

I'm going to jack it up today to test the hubs and see what I figure out from there...

And I'll whack the t-case motor while I'm under there.

Wish it wasn't -25c ... would be dealt with alot quicker.

Chris

Back