• Register Today It's free!

5.0 and 700r swap

X spensive

Reaction score
City, State
oregon city,oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 EB
has anybody used the tranny to trans case for 700r4 and tranny to engine (5.0) adaptors that advanced adaptors makes?

and has any body used painless wirings 5.0 harness in explorer?

if so can you give your thoughts thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nobody has used these or knows anybody who has

Advance adapters as far as I can remmeber has never offered an adapter to adapt the 700R4 to a 302.. The 4.0 is another story... The adapter kit runs like $500

The stock AOD(4R70W)in the 302 Explorer is as good as any Chevy transmission. The V6 trannies suck however, everyone knows that. Every auto Explorer wishes that they had a 4R70W in their truck. Rob installed one in his 2003 model, because the late V8 5R trans isn't as good as the AOD. regards,

does the 4r70w bolt up to my trans case and to a 5.0

So you have a 4.0 then, you didn't mention that. You can't use any 302 parts, the transmissions have different bolt patterns. You may be asking about an adapter to run the 700R behind a 4.0, that would be the best solution. No one seems to make adapters to mix Ford parts, only Chevy stuff. Good luck,

i want to put in a 88 gt engine i want to put the best tranny behind it that will be easy to install my 4.0 has to many problems and i want to get rid of it and the 5.0 will get better mpg and i dont want a manual

Okay then, can you get any Explorer 302 parts? The very best thing to do would be using the whole 96-01 302 Explorer operating system, trans, everything outside of the longblock. I know how cheap those 86-95 Mustang engines are, I installed an 88GT 302 in my 86 Crown Vic long ago. The OBDII of the 96-01 Explorer is vastly far better than any Mustang system, or a carburetor. You should be able to find the whole set of parts for $500-700, then do what's needed as far as engine rebuilding or freshening.

Good luck, but seriously try to emulate the stock 96-01 drivetrain. Many have done it, ask Jamie with his Bronco II. Regards,

So you have a 4.0 then, you didn't mention that. You can't use any 302 parts, the transmissions have different bolt patterns. You may be asking about an adapter to run the 700R behind a 4.0, that would be the best solution. No one seems to make adapters to mix Ford parts, only Chevy stuff. Good luck,

"The 4 X FAB transmission adapter kit will turn the back of your 2.8, 2.9, or 4.0 Ford engine into a 302/5.0 as far as the transmission is concerned. By using a flex plate or flywheel from a 300ci 6 cyl, you can install ANY Ford small block pattern transmission that you would like to use, manual or automatic! You could use a C6, C4, AOD, E4OD, NP 435, Mazda 5 speed, T18, or one of many others. It does require that the oil filter be relocated, and a special starter is needed, but the added strength of the full size transmission is well worth it. You will also be able to use a full size transfer case such as the NP205, NP208, NP203, or the BW1356, just to name a few. Rid yourself of that wimpy A4LD today and upgrade to something that will last and stand up to some real abuse! "

http://www.4-x-fab.com/Transmission_adapters.php

;) :salute:

I want to see someone do the 4w swap into there 4.0 using the above mentioned adapters!!!

I just found an AOD that I'm planning on swapping in with a Klune and EB D20....

I'll keep ya posted ........:D

Order the advance adapters ford manual, it has everthing in it about what you need to do the swap. Your also gonna need custom headers or v8 explorer ones to clear the frame. And you can use any full-size 4wd ford transmission that was behind a 302 by using A.A.'s transfer case adapter but they say you will probalby have to modify the driveshafts Or you can use the 2-wheel drive aod trans and what not and convert the tailshaft and output shaft to 4wd by using there adapters and they come in different lenghts so you dont have to do any driveshaft modifications. I was going to do this swap but after looking into it closely, i've decided im going to just build my old 4.0 and swap my week a4ld to a stronger manual. I figured it would be much easier and less expensive

Back