• Register Today It's free!

5.0 awd to 4wd

dwh96

Reaction score
City, State
leetonia ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport
Sorry if this has already been asked but i just got a 98 explorer sport with a blown up 4.0 so i already aquired a 5.0 as its replacement id like to have 4wd instead of the factory awd the 5.0s had what transfercase and parts do i need to complete this swap? Thanks Dalton.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5L sports are popping up everyplace lately lol! here is the thread on what you will need to get, and do

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726

to covert a sport to a manual however, you will need to get a rear drive shaft made. other then that, its all the same.
as for your 5L swap, did you just get a motor, or a donor truck?

I have the donor truck it was my grandmas until she got an escape then was my grandpas work truck till the frame rusted in 2 and now i get the 5.0

Right does the computer and wiring have to be swapped also?

yup, you'll need engine bay wiring, ECU, fuel pump, PATS stuff (if 98+)

If your donor doesn't have pats... it would be easier to rewire the entire sport using the 4dr harness, like I did on mine..

Si

Ok the donor is a 98 so i will need all that stuff then

yes you will need the ECU, keys, locks, ignition collar, ignition barrel, and the module behind the passenger airbag for a matching PATS set up.

Si

thanks for the info only being 17 i try to learn as much as i possibly can from others.

Back